Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Resident Evil 4 is the Doom Eternal of Fallout 3.

RapineDel

Augur
Resident Evil 4 is a great game, it's just disliked by many because it undeniably lead to the series having a number of shit entries.

Drakortha

Liturgist
You have to be an edgy, stupid fuck to think RE: 4 isn't one of the best entries in the series.

And you have to be a retard to think it is.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. This thread is about RE8, which is also going to be shit. The RE4 Fanboys are going to eat it up, though. As they always have, like the maggots they are.

Kainan

Learned
RE4 had great things going for it but the drops from enemies and crates were basically difficulty scaling. I dont know why they did that since you already had the knife attack and the kick which didnt use ammo.

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE4 wasn't a start of decline.

RE2 was already much more action-focused than RE1.
RE3 had tones of upgradeable weapons, crowds of enemies and a break-neck pace with almost no backtracking.
Code Veronica went full retard with anime and introduced the whole superhuman Wesker plot.

REmake and RE-Zero deviated from the "actionizing" norm, and it is their commercial underperformance that sealed the deal.

Drakortha

Liturgist
RE4 wasn't a start of decline.

RE2 was already much more action-focused than RE1.
RE3 had tones of upgradeable weapons, crowds of enemies and a break-neck pace with almost no backtracking.
Code Veronica went full retard with anime and introduced the whole superhuman Wesker plot.

REmake and RE-Zero deviated from the "actionizing" norm, and it is their commercial underperformance that sealed the deal.

RE4 is so overrated the series hasn't gone back to it's roots since. It led to the abominations RE5, and RE6, and it went so far as to influence the RE2 & RE3 remakes to also be over the shoulder. Of course the RE4 fanboy's didn't give a shit, so long as they could get to play their favorite poster boy Leon in over the shoulder again. Seriously, RE2 remake tried harder to appease RE4 fans than it did RE2 fans. What kind of hot shit is that?

JDR13

Arcane
It sounds like some fans just wanted every game to be a clone of RE1. I think I'd have grown tired of the series pretty quickly if that had been the case.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It sounds like some fans just wanted every game to be a clone of RE1. I think I'd have grown tired of the series pretty quickly if that had been the case.

Except it's been the opposite? We haven't had a "clone of RE1" since RE1 Remake, and that came out in 2002. It's been nothing but RE4 remakes ever since. As a fan I'm tired of playing RE4 over and over again. I never liked it to begin with.

JDR13

Arcane

Except it's been the opposite? We haven't had a "clone of RE1" since RE1 Remake, and that came out in 2002. It's been nothing but RE4 remakes ever since. As a fan I'm tired of playing RE4 over and over again. I never liked it to begin with.

I'm talking about the retards who constantly pine for the "old style" and act like everything that isn't that way is automatically shit.

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE4 is so overrated the series hasn't gone back to it's roots since. It led to the abominations RE5, and RE6, and it went so far as to influence the RE2 & RE3 remakes to also be over the shoulder. Of course the RE4 fanboy's didn't give a shit, so long as they could get to play their favorite poster boy Leon in over the shoulder again. Seriously, RE2 remake tried harder to appease RE4 fans than it did RE2 fans. What kind of hot shit is that?
RE2 remake tried to appease to modern audience in general, not RE4 fans. It's just over the shoulder camera is now considered standard for every third person game.

If RE2 remake was trying to appease to RE4 crowd, it would've had randomized supply drops, destructible crates, locational damage with exaggerated pain animations, arena-style level design and bigger action setpieces. Instead RE2 Remake has a claustraphobic level design, pre-set item locations, and it incentivizes player to avoid enemies instead of shooting them on sight. It even has one inventory pool for weapons, ammo, healing supplies and story-related key items (while RE4 separates key items from survival supplies to spare players from having to drop stuff on full inventory).

Now RE3 remake, i admit that's a shameless popamole and RE4 clone done wrong.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
I can see how people can view RE5 as a "RE4 clone but with co-op", but every game after that has been doing their own thing, or a variation that's different enough to not be a clone. RE6 is probably the only game that feels like the next step from RE4 due to introducing a stamina meter as a resource you have to manage while creating a greater amount of maneuverability.

Adon

Arcane
Yes, yes, spare me the numerous criticisms and flaws that the game has, I'm all too aware of them. Doesn't change that hidden underneath the mess lies what could've been the most interesting next step for RE4.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I would gladly buy a new RE game with fixed camera angles, but unfortunately that's not happening because it's not going to sell well.
You can keep complaining, or you can let it go and try to enjoy newer games, especially since most of them aren't without its merits.

RE6 is probably the only game that feels like the next step from RE4
It still starred emo Leon and had those MASH A Button to win the cutscene moments.
bashing the game because it features a certain character is stupid. RE6 is a shit game not because of emo leon, but because its bad level design and abundance of cinematics clash with potentially good combat system.

DemonKing

Arcane
Only played the RE2/3 remakes and RE7. Can't say the trailers for RE8 are doing it for me.

I'm guessing this will be 1st person too? Have to say based on my limited experience I preferred the 3rd person games.

Ash

Arcane
I'd only grow tired if they didn't innovate (gameplay-wise). They were innovating before they died out, though it makes sense it died realistically as deeper and smoother control is naturally desirable for mass appeal as game budgets sharply rose, which constantly switching fixed camera angles inherently conflicts with.

RE3: added many new game mechanics fittingly to the formula
Parasite Eve 2: RPG elements
Cold Fear: fixed camera angles and over the shoulder combination.
RE0: two character system (game was shit/bland as fuck tho)

The Cold Fear method was a decent compromise. Shame it never caught on.

I also think Darkwood is an interesting case for the genre. Not fixed camera angles (top-down), but restricts vision specifically to where the PC is looking. everything outside your cone of vision is obscured, no enemies can be seen and details can be plain different to what is actually shown when you rotate your character to look at it. This is what I'd like to see more third person horror games doing. Hell possibly even third person shooters to fix watching your enemies from the safety of cover.

e7e116611d45959776774d6728ae72d5f34a877086f44402b4a7a44b9f71bdf2_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

BTW if you haven't played Darkwood, get on that right now. The only true, good quality modern survival horror that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/resident-evil-8-village-2-hour-presentation-announced/

Tokyo Games Show 2020 will be an online-only event held from September 23-27th. The schedule notes a “Capcom Special Event” on September 25th, though, according to gamefront.de, the Resident Evil 8 Village presentation will be held at 2 pm CEST (5 am PST) on September 27th. The broadcast will be available at tgs.cesa.or.jp and asia.capcom.com.

2 hours long.

:shredder:
it's 30 minutes video and 90 minutes of Capcom producers talking.

Ash

Arcane
Resident Evil 4 is a great game, it's just disliked by many because it undeniably lead to the series having a number of shit entries.

Resident Evil was laden with shit entries before RE4, they were just all spinoffs: Survivor, Survivor 2, Dead Aim. RE0, Code Veronica etc etc.

Resident Evil became bad because modern business and game design trends (i.e sell the fuck out), just like every other long-standing franchise. Every fucking one. RE4 is a good game and I can only imagine the haters haven't seriously played it beyond a level or so or don't like FUN. The devs are constantly throwing new shit at you. Every goddamn room is a new unique challenge. Bad Resident Evil, but an entertaining game. It gets that right so that grants it a lot of leeway with me. A lot of other developers could learn from it. The level design may not be notably complex, but it is fresh with every twist and turn. This I believe is by far its biggest strength. But yeah, the grid inventory management, enemy design, decent level of challenge etc are just as important also.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom