Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

dunno lah

Arcane
Ed123 Have you played RE2 on hard?(which is available on the pc version)

I played it on the PSX in the 90s, never touched any other versions e.g. PC/N64
Wanna try it? I think it is a more ideal challenge than normal.The biggest changes are namely dropping your health damage tolerance to RE1 levels and making zombies bullet sponges(I like this from a "lore" standpoint). Those are the pros but there are some cons too. More specifically, one really big one...

A horse of course

Wanna try it?

Not when there's holy work still to be done!

WITNESS THE POWER...OF A HALF-BROKENFULLY OPERATIONAL SEGA SATURN
9ze6ypZ.png

UjAT7C9.png

SSF, which cannot render at higher than native res, and Yabause, which has horrible compatibility.

Yeah I think I'll wait for Saturn emulation to catch up a bit... :(

ByJFYup.png

:abyssgazer:

Deadly Silence has considerably less gore than the Saturn version (and presumably the PSX too). Just a quick pop of blood and no gibs :decline:

MF8OwYS.png

Last edited by a moderator:

spekkio

Arcane
Ed123

And what's the ohsoimportant difference between Saturn and PS1 versions?

:rpgcodex:

Wanna get raped? Play RE1 DC (PS1) - Arranged Mode. My thoughts that I forgot to post in the "Time wasted" thread:

Resident Evil - Director's Cut Arranged Mode

- Some changes are nice (enemies in new places), some not so (increased difficulty, which often means one bite from regular zombie = "danger" state).
- Some new item locations can be too hard for 1st timers (key on Kenneth's corpse). If you already know that "some item should be in this location" you will keep looking. But if you haven't played the game 2-3 times, you can skip some crucial items easily.
- Once the hunters appear (often 2-3 of them in one location) the difficulty skyrockets though the motherfucking roof. Plus they are now much harder to kill since they will ALWAYS roll to the side when shot (you have to aim again).
- Same amount of ammo as in vanilla + more and harder enemies + DAT hunters = rape. This is something designed only for the most experienced players or quicksavefags / hackfags.
- Unavoidable damage in some newly added situations (crows in the battery room).
- Occasional superzombies (the ones that can't be killed by single headshot, like the scripted one in the kitchen and some in the laboratory).

Verdict:

Casualfags :3/5:
Hardcore Jillfags :4/5:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
No love for the random human-trafficked teenager they got to play Jill in the original PSX version?

tumblr_nj96o3wzLJ1shrrj0o1_500.jpg

Supposedly she's an Irish actress, although Shinji Mikami stated in an interview she was a high school girl who couldn't act and made shooting difficult
Her real identity still hasn't been uncovered until today.

Prolly the daughter of someone working on English localization.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Could be, but the fact that Shinji Mikami chose the actors himself sounds like they were actual actors. Even if they were amateurs who had no real roles previously.

You don't want to talk about it but can I ask you about RE opening movie?

M: Well. We shot that in at the Tama River side in Japan, In the beginning of the movie, Jill makes her face look like she is scared. But that was not. The actress for Jill was only a high school girl at that time and she had to run around out side in the middle of the night and got mosquito bites so she made that face "I wanna go home". She was just immature kid.
That cheap shot was totally my mistake. I didn't have enough time and money, also I picked these actors only by looks. Now I think I should pick by performance but... too late now.

A horse of course

Ed123
And what's the ohsoimportant difference between Saturn and PS1 versions?

I was just curious about the visual changes, the Ticks (which have never appeared since, probably because they're basically just reskinned Hunters and similar insectoid enemies are already in RE3 and REmake) and the BLING BLING Tyrant.

Her real identity still hasn't been uncovered until today.

It wouldn't have surprised me to find she was some chick working in a hostess bar, which was a fairly common practice for cumskinettes who couldn't get work as EFL teachers in Japan. A lot of places incorrectly attribute the role to Una Kavanagh: http://www.the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?4425-Inezh-Where-is-she-now/page6 (WARNING autism)

A horse of course

Finished Onimusha: Warlords: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-579#post-3953070

I've only done some cursory research, but what I do know is that the game began life as a title codenamed Resident Evil: Sengoku (Sengoku: Biohazard), and was meant to take the Sweet Home/Hausu/Spencer Estate vibe and mix it with samurai and shinobi exploring a 2spooky castle with traps, secret doors and zombies:

http://www.ign.com/articles/1997/05/29/interview-with-capcom-japans-yoshiki-okamoto

N64.com: What's your idea?

Yoshiki: I have an idea for a ninja version of Resident Evil. The location is a "ninja house" which is full of booby traps and gimmicks.

N64.com: Sounds fun already. Do you have more great ideas for us?

Yoshiki: Of course. The battle will take place using Katana and Shuriken. The house will contain hidden doors behind walls, ceilings that fall down to you, scrolls and ninja magic, and many other ninja techniques. I have many more ideas about this.

Early in development, the decision was made to scrap any connection to the Resident Evil franchise (presumably demons and magic scrolls were considered excessive even by Resident Evil standards) and the game was apparently around 50% complete on the PS1:

However, this version was eventually moved to the PS2 and released as Onimusha: Warlords, which spawned several sequels that we don't need to worry ourselves over.

What's interesting is that there are still quite a few similarities with Resident Evil. The control system is essentially identical, albeit with powerful counter-attack and dodge mechanics, and ranged weapons control the same. The fixed camera angles use many of the same tricks as the vanilla Resident Evil games (the composition of some shots is practically 1:1 in many cases). Herbs are used for healing, but can be refined into more useful medicine. The game is structured around numerous puzzles and hidden items, with plenty of mandatory backtracking. The game swaps between the Samurai and Ninja as various points, which allows them to open different doors and access new areas. There is even a horde mode/battle arena minigame, though this is integrated into the vanilla game rather than an alternative activity, allowing you to gain an item that unlocks the most powerful weapon in the game. There are a number of scenes and plot points reminiscent of Resident Evil - the zombie soldier attack, the scattered letters describing the backstory to the demons, the mad scientist-esque character experimenting on corpses, and more.

Despite all these, it would a serious stretch to say that the game is a "spiritual side-quel" to the vanilla RE games. Whilst there is a certain amount of resource management, the game uses a levelling and XP system that encourages careful grinding to maintain your current health via orb drops whilst also building "souls" to unlock more powerful equipment (which can open certain sealed doors). I cannot emphasize enough that manual player skill is vastly more important than having the right gear. You have to learn each enemy and boss' movesets and match your techniques accordingly. If it weren't for the widely-recorded fact that the game began as a Resident Evil spinoff, I would've put the similarities down to sharing developers between both franchises at Capcom.

For that reason, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone thinking it's "Resident Evil but with NINJAS!". Not that it's necessarily a particularly bad game or anything (and once you work out the mechanics it can be quite rewarding), but it's certainly not to my taste, and there are plenty of Samurai/hack-and-slash titles with better controls imo.

tl;dr it might interest some people but it's not a "survival horror" game by any stretch of the imagination

P.S. Kaede's (Ninja gurl) tits bounce a lot when she runs and jumps, which should be commended. I don't like kunoichi costumes though

agris

Arcane
Patron
Has RE1: HD received a single patch yet? It's not the game itself I worry about... OK I do, but the support after the sale. These console-focused game devs are notoriously bad about support. Look at DX:HR DC!

A horse of course

This was possibly already covered before in this thread but anyway, what are the chances they'd do a RE2 and RE3 HD edition that also comes for the PC? I'd so buy this shit I really want those games on muh Steam library, especially if they receive that wonderful treatment of REmake.

Practically zilch. REmake is not just an HD remaster, it's RE1 completely recreated from the ground up on Gamecube hardware, then given an "HD" polish for the newer generation in 2014. It's essentially a completely new game. Resident Evil 2 and 3, however, were never remade with higher-quality backgrounds or models, and would look very odd as "HD" titles. The reason Resident Evil Zero is getting the same treatment is that it was made around the same time as REmake, using the same assets and for the same target hardware.

A horse of course

NLS1n2O.png

Next stop: The Adventures of Tony Redgrave in the Spencer Castle

AKA The Original Resident Evil 4

Lerk

Learned
i'd like to think this (and to a lesser extent, both Revelations games) was Capcom dipping their toe in the water to gauge interest in a return to the more "classic" RE type of game in the "main" (i.e. numbered) series. And by "classic", I mean "RE4" - because I doubt we'll ever see a return to fixed camera angles and pre rendered backdrops. More's the pity.

On the other hand, these upscaled ports represent profit for practically no effort, so...probably not. Still, I'll continue to pray for Dragon's Dogma HD PC...

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I urge EVERY fucking body to buy RE0.

Why? Well it's a pretty solid game, and it gets a remaster. AWESOME

But the biggest reason? If sales go well, and fans are happy,

THEY WILL FUCKING REMAKE/REMASTER THE BEST ONE IN THE SERIES

--->> RESIDENT EVIL 2 <<----

#GETHYPED

A horse of course

So...Devil May Kamiya

Pretty much all the images in this post were created before the period in which DMC was actually a DMC title.
17D2yCp.jpg

wOaS4Xo.jpg
jIKeTz6.jpg

*cracks fedora*

I'm barely going to touch on its quality as a game - take the shitty RE controls & camera and put them in a fucking twitch action slasher where you run into walls, jump in the wrong direction and auto-target the wrong enemy. 10/10 idea morons.

No, the reason I bring this up is that, as regular poasters in this thread already know, Devil May Cry began life as Resident Evil 4. What's unusual is that whereas other spinoffs, like RE Sengoku, were barely into production, the final version of Devil May Cry is essentially the same game that Kamiya's RE4 was meant to be. The shift to a new franchise came fairly late - according to Shinji Mikami, the team were actually very reluctant to abandoned DmC as a Biohazard sequel. News Bot, one of the owners of Umbrella forums and a very reliable sauce on RE production matters, summed it up thusly:

What we got as Devil May Cry is exactly what this game would've been like, only with a bigger focus on guns rather than swordplay.

47p0QHu.jpg

So we can say with authority that DMC is the most complete iteration of the various RE4 prototypes that were developed in the early 00s.

(As a side note, whilst there are several retrospectives and analyses of "Stylish Biohazard 4" around the net, Umbrella Forums is probably the most complete sauce and the entity from which I stole 99% of this post. If you're interested in reliable info on the RE series, head there nao http://projectumbrella.net/forum)

To wit, here's a rather patchwork, error-riddled summary of the original RE4, based on developer interviews, art books, research by individuals such as News Bot, Welsh and Ridley, and a titanic autist who pestered Hideki Kamiya on twitter to make internet history:

Kamiya was very keen on shaking up the Reident Evil formula, from both a gameplay and narrative perspective. His idea was to depart from the core mechanics of the series with a stylish, power-fantasy hero who would kill giant monsters and "look cool" whilst doing so. Resident Evil 4 was to be about Tony Redgrave, the son of Lord Ozwel Spencer (recognize the name?) and the brother of Paul. Oswel Spencer used the progenitor virus to give himself fantastical powers, but was already an old man by the time he injected himself with the G-Virus. In the backstory to RE4, Oswel injected his twin sons (clones?) - by a woman named Eva - with the G-Virus and intended they succeed him as head of the Umbrella Corporation
e92Nu70.png
RBfYVxF.png
NA7NsNW.png

Tony and his partner Aisha (or some equally stupid name) were Private Investigators. Tony travelled to Mallet Island, his fathers castle, for whatever reason, and would battle bizarre and outlandish monsters using the powers granted to him by the G-Virus (think Wesker on steroids). Many of these monsters have names like "G-[name]" in the game files, and are obviously repurposed Resident Evil 0-3 antagonists - Hunters, Zombies, Crows, Bats, Lickers et al
e53mQNN.png
Fpk7Xvw.png
pbuGSvA.png
YgXuQod.png
6d2bYuz.png

The game would depart from the traditional Biohazard narrative by leaping between time periods, ending with an older, more powerful Tony in change of Umbrella (check the pendant below)

HvzuDja.jpg

The scenario back when this was a "Bio" title was that we planned not to finish with one story, but to have something on a grander scale, with time progressing in each part. For this design sketch, the protagonist Dante was drawn after several decades, when he would appear again, more dignified. It might have already pinged for the sharper people that this became the basis for the "Legendary Dark Knight" costume in the actual game.

Once it was agreed that the game should be divorced from the Resident Evil universe, work was done to create a more arcade-style title. Though the castle is explorable, chunks of progression were broken up into "Missions" with high scores and collectible counts. The combat was shifted in the direction of swordplay and acrobatics, the plot delved into mysticism and the demonic underworld, and the creature design was scrubbed of explicit connections to Biohazard - per Kamiya:
hwVsLg5.png

Dolls that stand over 2 meters tall. These guys were originally designed as zombies. The sense is a monster like Frankenstein that the tacky castellan has created by putting corpses together. But it's normal how the creatures moved so we tried with much effort to turn them into weird dolls that move involuntary when the setting changed because they're inhabitants of Hell!

There are numerous minor elements from Bio4 remaining in the DMC files, such as text references to RE and textures that were taken from previous titles or would be reused in RE4. But as with Onimusha, mechanics that were carried over from Biohazard development are so diluted as to be irrelevent. DMC is a difficult game, but it's completely lacking in even the suggestion of survival horror gameplay - unless you consider a 2d platformer with limited lives to exemplify survival horror-esque resource management. Even with the semi-fixed camera angles (in a 3d world), the intent is not to impress a sense of claustrophobic oppression or feed feelings of vulnerability, but to exaggerate the Gothic opulence of the fortress, the dilapidated grandeur of the crumbling outer battlements, and the supernatural super-heroics of the protagonist.

Again, then: Interesting to read about, but don't bother playing for the sake of your interest in Resident Evil or survival horror.

A horse of course

Not to be confused with the mostly-complete Resident Evil 2 fan remake that was made as a student project, this is the laughable "Resident Evil 2: Reborn" by Italian "Invader/Invasion Games", who appear to have been at work for years and have so far produced this demo, and an iOS game. My understanding is that the project was shifted to UE4 but predictably ran into legal troubles and is only available on the website on Unity. As far as I know most of the models and textures are ripped from Darkside Chronicles. It's playable up to when you enter the Police Station and go into the Licker corridor.

kxYWXuU.png
TBSofM3.png
8ZrMZ0a.png
2OzDxiS.png
LOUTpAn.png
PFqQYjN.png
m029zJr.png

A horse of course

Resident Evil 1.5 (Magic Zombie Door version + MartinBiohazard's latest patch)
xcQaT3t.png

I didn't bother posting this in the screenshot thread as the 1.5 fan re-assembly is constantly being worked on, so people may as well wait for a proper release, whenever that may be. For those of you unaware of RE2's history, the so-called "1.5" version was scrapped because, according to the devs, it was simply too boring and didn't really bring anything new to the series. There are various bootleg versions of 1.5 out in the wild, and legit copies/modded reconstructions are a subject of controversy in the RE modding community (which, much like the Fallout 2 modding scene, is populated by degenerates, sociopaths, thieves, autists and foreigners). A general overview of the scrapped RE2 can be found here http://residentevil.wikia.com/BIOHAZARD_1.5 whilst the reconstruction project is briefly summarized at THIA http://www.the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?10206-Resident-Evil-2-(1-5-Prototype)-FAQ

32qwsok.jpg

In short, the major differences are as follows:

• The female lead is Elza Walker, a college student and motorcycle racer, rather than Claire. She still had a righteous ass.
  • The police station looks rather mundane, and is not an abandoned art gallery as it is in the final game. It reminded me of those 80s/90s L.A. cop movies.
  • More officers have survived and interact with the protagonists, whilst Chief Irons appears to be merely incompetent rather than villainous.
  • Ada is a researcher secretly working for the now-outlawed Umbrella Corporation.
  • The Kendo gun shop owner was a character named John who frequently assisted Elza and Sherry.
  • Elza and Leon still visited most of the same locations but never actually meet.
  • Pain skins (bloodied clothes etc.) were used for the player characters after taking enough damage.
  • Enemy counts were increased and seem to respawn more frequently (possibly unintentional).
  • Dynamic music was used for combat and similar situations.
  • The player could equip body armour and other protective gear, though this doesn't appear to be enabled in the leaked & fan-modded build.
  • Two major new foes were zombified Gorillas (much larger and more dangerous than the Eliminators from REZero) and Human-Spider hybrids.
  • The game was meant to end the Resident Evil series with a definitive conclusion. Capcom management were obviously unimpressed by this proposal.

Elza
AvzVKiZ.png
wloDdaL.png
huHoNMB.png
6DT4NXp.png
es4Yq0X.png
gbQlRl6.png
AyS30Rp.png
aWAfIOO.png
N79JhuY.png
4B3xG03.png
YQZgkTP.png
tHJEkxN.png
Ly9cTQz.png
1ZdXwaC.png

Leon
3Y0F8AD.png
dSK9lCr.png
UI6oUhF.png
fSIIMwJ.png
BkXajhf.png
JuaYZI4.png
891jY8f.png
dCGqYSC.png

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I urge EVERY fucking body to buy RE0.

Why? Well it's a pretty solid game, and it gets a remaster. AWESOME

But the biggest reason? If sales go well, and fans are happy,

THEY WILL FUCKING REMAKE/REMASTER THE BEST ONE IN THE SERIES

--->> RESIDENT EVIL 2 <<----

#GETHYPED

It'd be a lot more expensive to make a RE2 remake. REmake HD and 0HD are just uprez jobs.

I honestly don't think Capcom has the in-house talent to make 2D backgrounds like REmake or 0's anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom