Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

A horse of course

John's ugly as sin.

Makes Leon even more of a massive cuck.

Leon was reportedly based on one of the designer's dogs, I believe.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Resident Evil 1.5 (Magic Zombie Door version + MartinBiohazard's latest patch)

There's just something about mid-late '90s character models that I really love. They're just detailed enough to look like their artwork yet still abstract enough that any deformities or weirdness just add to their charm rather than make them look ugly.

Yes, I have nothing to add to the actual topic.

A horse of course

Resident Evil 1.5 (Magic Zombie Door version + MartinBiohazard's latest patch)

There's just something about mid-late '90s character models that I really love. They're just detailed enough to look like their artwork yet still abstract enough that any deformities or weirdness just add to their charm rather than make them look ugly.

Yes, I have nothing to add to the actual topic.

Yes, doing a PS1 emulation run over the last couple of years, I have developed an odd affection for them that didn't exist when I originally played games using these rendering methods. I'm not interested in bringing them back or anything, though.

btw, just to give everyone an idea of how insane the RE community is, here's a typical post on THIA or Assembler Games whenever 1.5 gets brought up:

Oh, my. A cheap shot. No, several. It's no less than I would have expected of you, Gemini. I was perfectly happy where I was, with nothing to do with RE15 anymore, and this petty and petulant little statement had to be brought to my attention. Shame on you. You just had to bring me back, didn't you? Oh, well, as long as I'm here, and while I'm here, let's sort out Gemini's deliberate misstatements and get those "facts" straight. 1) "PVB" is no less an oxymoron than "MZD build." The term "plain vanilla build" was actually coined by DXP, in order to contrast it with the MZD build. All I did was abbreviate it. So while you're firing babies into the sun, Gemini, you need to fire your own handiwork, too. 2) You may be no spokesman, but it's common knowledge by now that you're D.Birkin. You were outed by the Mortician a while back, and he's in a position to know. I had come to the same conclusion myself, though, as had several others, all of us independently. We didn't do it by pulling stupid statements out of our ass, either. We did it by examining the public record that both you and you Team Eyegash alter ego have left behind. At least you didn't make as many mistakes in covering your trail as did Carnivol (B.Zork) -- who got so lazy that he was outed by a n00b. Back to the subject, though. It's not up to me, or to the Mortician, or to the half-dozen or so other people who came to the same conclusion, in the same manner as Newton and Leibniz independently developed calculus. It's up to you to prove that you're not -- again, given the public record. 3) The story of the multiple builds has always been a hazy one, and both deliberate misinformation and the usual snide asides planted by both you and your allies hasn't helped clear up the matter any. I actually took the time and effort to track that one down, and do you know what I found? I could only find the barest of evidence, and I emphasize BAREST, for two of those. Since the time I did that, one of those stacks of evidence has been conclusively disproven. That leaves one -- just one -- out of a rumor pool of five (not counting the PVB, which makes six), and that trail is over a year old now. Which one is it? I'm not sure. I'm not sure the guy will ever bite again. However, folks, Gemini and his fellows at Team Eyegash would like you to believe that if such information did not come down from them up on their personal Mt. Olympus, then it must not be true. 4) Part of my self-appointed job at the time in trying to find out the truth behind the finding of RE15 was to collect all of the available evidence - and I mean ALL - and try to sift through it, looking for commonalites and possible connections. Yes, I got some of it wrong. Yes, some of my surmises were wrong - but usually because the information available to me at the time was incomplete. Also, as has been since determined with true objectivity, a lot of my guesses weren't that far off the mark. Team Eyegash would like us to think that they are the end-all and be-all of all knowledge about RE15, but the fact is that they're not. There's almost two decades of data out there for anyone like me, with the time, effort, and will, to plow through it. And if, like me, and as certain others have done so before me, they arrive at certain conclusions that cast Team Eyegash in a bad light ... well, that's too bad. You guys always were and will remain your own worst enemies. You're the reason why the RE15 scene is the sad and divisive shape that it's in today -- not me. Trying to transfer the blame to me will do you no good, because I can and will ably defend myself. If I were you, Gemini, I'd stick to talking about what you do best -- coding. You are one of the best damn coders out there, and even I will sing your praises there. Keep your hands clean, and don't keep sinking down to this level at which certain of the THIA crowd insist on wallowing. I would like to think you're better than that ... but who knows? Maybe I could be wrong. And next time you want to make one of your little remarks, please leave me out of it. I don't like being dragged back to a scene I officially left quite a while ago.

A horse of course

Finished Revelations 2 plus DLC. Quoting myself from the Revelations thread:

]I've played about 5 hours of Revelations 2 and I'm only half-way through episode 2 (which seems a lot longer than the first). So far I'm not nearly as enamoured with the game as spekkio indicated he was in the WGAYWTO thread. Good points first:
  • It appears that for once in their time here on earth Crapcom actually resisted the urge go to full retard with a sequel. Eschewing the Michael Bay route, the game actually doubles down on the horror mechanics of the first game. There's still too much action for my liking but it's a huge improvement.
  • The stealth section are simplistic (which is fair enough as a side-mechanic) but functional, and in fact the Moira/Barry sneaking areas were some of my favourite parts of the game. There were a few bullshit trial-and-error moments (not knowing which door an enemy is facing, for example) and more pervasively, sections in the Claire/Moira segments where it was more beneficial to kill everything and search for secrets than try to sneak past (a common problem with tacked-on stealth mechanics in mainstream shooters). But overall the stealth sections were one of the best additions to the Resident Evil series so far. I'm assuming they took cues from The Last of Us, but I haven't looked into it.
  • Story has not (yet) gone insane. Apart from the cringeworthy opening, it's all fairly low-key and competent enough. That said, I've read a lot of complaints on RE fansites that the script was fucked due to Crapcom localization removing a number of controversial (incest-themed) Kafka references and messing up the VA direction, robbing Claire of a lot of her characterization. I didn't read too much to avoid spoilers, so I'll try to go into detail once I've finished the game.
  • No idea why people were complaining about the graphics. There are typical 360-port textures all over the places and the secondary NPCs have significantly worse models compared to the main characters, but the lighting is fantastic, some great use of shaders (especially for slimy surfaces), a couple of the protagonists are actually strikingly expressive and the monsters look very detailed.
  • There are quite a few little hidden areas with extra ammo and bonus points (AKA XP for buying new skills) that made it worth exploring a little.
  • I've always liked games that use secrets/collectibles in a manner that actually gives you an incentive to search for them beyond "muh cheevos". Rev 2 has a nice little skill upgrade system that can be traded for hidden gems and such. I think this is a better system than Resident Evil 4's pesos, as the latter basically hamstrung the dynamic difficulty mechanic that gave out ammo/health/money based on performance.
  • The music was a nice mix of haunting sorrow during downtime and understated tension for general gameplay. I'm not a fan of going as far as SILENCE UNTIL SCRIPTED BATTLE SEQUENCE, so the raw, discordant strings that wear away at you whilst edging round corners were very effective.
Now for the patented Codex bitching:
  • Claire has NO FUCKING ASS. They just up and took it. It's gone. After the strides they made in Revelations, I can't imagine what happened here. One can only assume it was another casualty of developers' attempts at chasing the magic dragon of "realism". Don't get me wrong, Claire's still fairly pretty (the static screens make her look a lot more freakish than in-game) but this is a tragic misstep.
  • Is Moira even supposed to be a waifu? Or just background decoration like Natalia? No tits, no ass, no endearing vulnerabilities that the player can empathize with (hurr I won't use guns because my tragic past). I suppose it's unfair to judge the ladies before I'm even 50% through the game, but signs are not promising.That said, I nearly got an erection when that chick covered in blood and half her face ripped off stumbles around the corner and collapses into your arms. Those glasses weren't doing you any favours, honey.
  • I have mixed feelings about the companion system. On the one hand, I loved Natalia's stealth and detection abilities (I'm curious if Crapcom took cues from the obscure and thoroughly detested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_(video_game) ), and Moira's flashlight effect is a cool skill for a partner (shades of Alan Wake?). But there are two major drawbacks. Firstly, I can't help but feel the game would be far better as a survival horror were the player following a single character. I'd kill to experience the first half of Part 1 (in the prison) if it were redesigned to be played solely as Moira and focused on stealth, evasion and traps. Secondly, the AI is fucking stupid and some of the best abilities rely on your companion having more than half an atrophied brain cell: Moira, for example, has a very powerful crowbar strike she can use on distracted foes and follow up with a coup de grace, but the AI is too dumb to utilize it and spends most of its time standing around being eaten alive or randomly making frontal attacks on tank-type enemies.
  • The controls still feel slightly clunky. I know it's a huge jump over Resident Evil 4/5 but we've gone through this whole routine with the Resident Evil series for over a bloody decade now. At this point I feel like I'm at some family reunion and everyone's trying to be polite to the mentally retarded nephew who has reached his late teens and is finally capable of writing down his own name, albeit using tomato ketchup and forgetting to capitalize the first letter.
  • Speaking of Resident Evil 4, even though I praised the hidden items and secret-hunting in my earlier points, I got very strong Sixth-Generation vibes from the level design in Reveations 2. Yes there is the odd side-room with a hidden crate, but most of the "exploration" and backtracking is just following objectives in a different order. It quickly became clear that only something like 3% of the rooms you can enter are optional and not mandated by the main objectives. In short, it's a very linear experience and there doesn't seem to be any attempt at following up on anything like the Solarium from Revelations or other extra content in the classic titles.
  • Some of the crescendo action sequences were very frustrating. I get the feeling Crapcom never playtested them with anyone who didn't know what they were supposed to do. In the prison, I didn't realize the flamethrower could be spun around because the first time you get access to it is four seconds after activating a horde of enemies and you're not really paying attention to button prompts (inb4 quest compass). I died trying to get up the ladder during the village escape because you have to line Claire up just so, then died the second time because the other two NPCs bugged out and kept yelling at me to come up the ladder, even though I was already right next to them and about to be devoured by pursuers. The Claire/Moira bossfight in Part 2 was one of those annoyingly gamified sequences where enemies will spawn continuously until you kill the boss, which meant what felt like a five-to-ten minute battle that ended with the boss dead and Claire blown up by a minion, then a one-minute second attempt where I just poured everything into the boss, cleaned up a couple of minions and was overcome by that sense of shame you feel when you can't be arsed to wank into a sock and just let your underwear soak it up, then sit in your own calcifying jizz for the rest of the night.
  • Barry's magnum is shit. If you don't think a magnum is the video game equivalent of a melta pistol, you shouldn't be designing Resident Evil weapons.

I'll poast some more of my thoughts when I finally finish it.

At that time I was beginning Part 2 of Episode 2 and I have to say, the game really started to click after that point. Several new enemies were introduced that could shake up the combat dynamics or elevate the slow-burn tension simmering beneath certain encounters- particularly the Glasps, which you first encounter drifting through a spooky abandoned village. Claire and Moira's campaign in Episode 3 also gives you a little more leeway for semi-stealthy or cautious approaches, sometimes allowing you to avoid certain enemies and save ammo & resources whilst still having the opportunity to explore every room. Sadly, Episode 4 throws this out the window and returns to the typical AAA cinematic trial-and-error bullshit, which is a sour note to end their playthrough on. You quickly regain control of Barry and Natalia, and whilst this is a great improvement over the first half of the final Episode, it felt like the game was running on fumes. One reason is that as far as I could tell there were no new enemies in Episode 4 (other than the boss), merely different combinations of previous foes. Another is that collectibles are basically useless at this point (unless you intend to replay) so you basically don't give a fuck about anything you find except for herbs, ammo and molotovs. Perhaps I'd just been playing for too long and wanted to get the game over with. There were parts that seemed like they should've been quite memorable, such as the gassed tunnels, but it felt like the same old shit to me, especially when they started recycling minibosses. The final 20m or so were rather oddly paced, as you're thrown into an arena and forced to fight multiple waves of the hardest regular enemies in the game, then trudge through a cave to fight the final boss and scavenge for ammo amidst the wreckage it causes by leaping about. Actually, all the bosses in the game were a letdown, and most of them - functionally speaking - operated almost identically to boss fights in Resident Evil 4/5/6 (run out of ammo, dash about like a retard, spam herbs until you work out the boss pattern, find some handgun bullets here and there and spend ten minutes chipping away at them with your pea-shooter until they fall over and the cutscene plays).

Speaking of patterns and movesets, I'd warn old-school fans that the game has exactly the same limitation that many of you hated in Resident Evil 4 - performance is based almost entirely upon manual player skill rather than stockpiling or smart resource management. I mean, obviously it helps if you go into a fight with two exploding bottles rather than none, but the game seems to be extremely careful about managing how much ammo and items a player will retain between fights. I didn't get the impression that ammo was being distributed according to whatever was in your inventory at the time (unlike RE4), but most players are practically railroaded into using particular items or weapons depending on what enemies they face in each encounter. In Moira's DLC, for example, I was able to spend 20m running around like an asylum escapee during an encounter with two minibosses and multiple minions until my partner's infinite ammo brought them all down, whereas when I had first encountered that same single miniboss in the main campaign - even with a much larger arena and retaining far more bombs and ammo - it was a gigantic pain in the ass.

Story-wise the game actually has very little in the way of direct connections to Revelations 1. Even important elements from the main series were practically background noise. Focusing on Barry, Natalia and Moira and a couple of core themes via the main villain was an excellent decision and I hope it's repeated in the future. It seemed to me as if the writing a high in episode 3 with Moira and Barry's relationship, and how this shaped their interactions with the other characters. Honestly Barry made the other characters a lot more interesting. Whoever his VA was did a fantastic job, and Moira's delivery was pretty good in parts too, especially in The Struggle DLC. Natalia seemed a bit wooden at first, but you grow to identify with Barry's desire to protect her and the DLC made her a little more believable. Claire was just bland as fuck, which is typical of how Crapcom treat core characters in the series (I can practically guarantee that upper management at Capcom specifically forbid doing anything risky with them, or anything that might make it too difficult for an audience to project themselves onto the characters). It didn't help that the closest to any development she achieved was part of the typical moronic andersonfaggotry that permeates the overaching plot of the Resident Evil series (ludicrous theatrical villains with idiotic, pointlessly grandiose plans that are impossible to identify with). Surprisingly, the main villain had greatly improved between C/M's campaign and B/M's encounters with them - the allusions to Kafka and direct references to The Metamorphosis helped drive home their motivations and ground their actions in an existential crisis that was at least believable if not something one could directly empathize with. I was disappointed to find that Natalia's DLC failed to reveal anything new about this new antagonist, though.

If I had to boil the game down to a single concept, it's essentially Resident Evil 4 done right with an inclination towards rudimentary stealth and evasion mechanics instead of racking up points or stylish action maneuvers. Although I've heard a fair bit of negativity towards Shinji Mikami's The Evil Within, I'm very interested in seeing how that game has approached the action-survival-horror conondrum. Once I have a better laptop (maybe next year since whilst the 980M is a good improvement over my 880M, I'm more interesting in seeing a mobile cpu refresh) I'll pick that up with all the DLC. Anyway, considering how little Revelations 2 has in common with the original, it wouldn't shock me to discover that Crapcom were testing the waters for Resident Evil 7. I sincerely hope they consider it a success and work on the next big title with these improvements in mind.

Also I couldn't find any further evidence that Gina Foley was a tranny, but she looks kinda fat anyway so I've written her off as a waifu.

P.S. Those that haven't played the game, SWITCH CHARACTERS DURING THE QTE IN CHAPTER 3 PART 1

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

The Resident Evil 2 Reborn project I posted some shots from earlier has been updated, and is aiming at a summer release of the Alpha. Couple of trailers:

Meanwhile, Rod Lima (the other, finished but unreleased RE2 remake dev) is working on something interesting: his own version of the famous "Hookman" videos from Resident Evil 3.5

agris

Arcane
Patron
Did RE:HD ever get patched or given any post-release support? I theoretically support it, but until I see actual effort put into suporting the game, it's just another shared ISO improving my seed/leech ratio...

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Did RE:HD ever get patched or given any post-release support? I theoretically support it, but until I see actual effort put into suporting the game, it's just another shared ISO improving my seed/leech ratio...

What support does the game need? I completed it without any problems that I can think of - I guess there's that one song from the soundtrack that plays at double speed for some reason.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Claire was just bland as fuck, which is typical of how Crapcom treat core characters in the series (I can practically guarantee that upper management at Capcom specifically forbid doing anything risky with them, or anything that might make it too difficult for an audience to project themselves onto the characters). It didn't help that the closest to any development she achieved was part of the typical moronic andersonfaggotry that permeates the overaching plot of the Resident Evil series (ludicrous theatrical villains with idiotic, pointlessly grandiose plans that are impossible to identify with).

I believe she was just added to appease her fanboys whom have been agitating for her to be in another RE game, which would explain why she's the most superfluous and bland character of the four PCs. Jill should've had the role, as she has ties with Barry from RE1 and 3.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Currently playing Veronica XXX, not sure I like it. Claire is presented as ultimate badass in cutscenes yet in actual combat cannot even dodge. Feels like a step back after Nemesis.

The voice over of that turbodweeb is hilarious, though.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Code Veronica could've been the best game in the series. Gameplay-wise it's a major return to the original, with resources being more limited than ever and enemies that hit like a brick shithouse. It's just that everything other than the gameplay was utter shit. The new enemy designs are terrible, with the graphics making everything look like it's made of rubber (though this seems to be an overall issue with Dreamcast games). Not to mention the fact that Veronica was the definite point in the series where the grand Umbrella soap opera started taking precedence over actually making the game scary. Say what you want about Resident Evil 4, at least that game had the good sense to keep that shit in the sidelines (at least until the PS2 sub-scenarios).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Fight with Tyrant on plane highlights how shitty the combat system is.

There's a similar fight in Nemesis outside the clock tower, where you can avoid all damage by masterfully dodging.

In Veronica with the sluggish controls, lack of dodge and Claire's slow fat ass I had to bruteforce it.

A horse of course

I think the cargo plane fight is meant to try and push you towards using the environmental gimmick and give you a sense that you couldn't possibly survived without that last, desperate push. But even making use of that, the fight is still long enough to illustrate your exact criticisms.

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, why wasn't I informed about the current state of RE0 HD development?

evil-becky-and-whiskez5rmn.png

:lol:

costumes_billy_rebecca.jpg

Resident-Evil-Mercenaries-3d-Alternate-Outfits-resident-evil-22563079-900-1125.jpg

:lol:

You've been hit by,
You've been struck by,

cashcom_logo_by_2tailedd3rpy-d796sfh.png

:dance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom