Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

fork

The Resident Evil threads really are home to the biggest retards on this forum. Every time I think "damn, that's a fucking dumb post" and I keep scrolling and reading, the retardation gets topped sooner or later without fail. If you cretins keep going like this, they might have to invent and build new kinds of mental asylums that can adequately treat you guys when you get older. It's fucking shocking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonona

Learned
Awful Survival horror games, pretty good action games as long as you play them on Coop or stick to mercenary mode.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I never played 5 or 6. Are they any good? What's the general consensus?
5 is a really good co-op shooter. Mechanically it's basically RE4 - it has same common enemies, same controls, same satisfying combat with headshots creating a prompt for a melee attack, same upgrade system, etc, but everything is adapted and tuned for co-op. Melee moves now can be chained with your co-op partner, inventory management now happens in real-time, the inventory itself is also very small because the game encourages players to take roles and specialize in certain weapons (i.e. one player takes an SMG and a shotgun for crowd control, while the other takes a sniper rifle and a magnum to quickly nuke the hardest enemies).

6 is a total mess. It has a really complex combat system, but the game doesn't take a full advantage of its mechanics and prefers to focus on shitty set-piece moments, cutscenes and QTEs. The game also has an atrocious level design - the levels are super linear, poorly constructed, and cramped to the point of not having enough space for two players.

Last edited:
I never played 5 or 6. Are they any good? What's the general consensus?
5 is a really good co-op shooter. Mechanically it's basically RE4 - it has same common enemies, same controls, same satisfying combat with headshots creating a prompt for a melee attack, same upgrade system, etc, but everything is adapted and tuned for co-op. Melee moves now can be chained with your co-op partner, inventory management now happens in real-time, the inventory itself is also very small because the game encourages players to take roles and specialize in certain weapons (i.e. one player takes an SMG and a shotgun for crowd control, while the other takes a sniper rifle and a magnum to quickly nuke the hardest enemies).

6 is a total mess. It has a really complex combat system, but the game doesn't take a full advantage of its mechanics and prefers to focus on shitty set-piece moments, cutscenes and QTEs. The game also has an atrocious level design - the levels are super linear, poorly constructed, and cramped to the point of not having enough space for two players.

RE6 is the vastly superior game of the two. It's got the best gameplay of the series, and it's the better co-op game of the two.

5 is the mess. 5 is just like a bad version of RE4. It's not so bad that it's not fun in co-op, but unless you're hanging out with some friends I'm sure why anyone would play it over 4.

While RE6 is linear, the idea that you don't have enough space to play with another person is ridiculous. If anything RE6 is the better thought out of the two when it comes to multiplayer.

fork

The Resident Evil threads really are home to the biggest retards on this forum. Every time I think "damn, that's a fucking dumb post" and I keep scrolling and reading, the retardation gets topped sooner or later without fail. If you cretins keep going like this, they might have to invent and build new kinds of mental asylums that can adequately treat you guys when you get older. It's fucking shocking.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Start naming names, pussy.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
RE6 is fucking awesome, one of the best action games ever made. It's up there with Vanquish when it comes to third person shooters.
wtf is wrong with you man.

Because it's true? At least when it comes to the fact, that Resident Evil 6 is an excellent action game (and not Resident Evil per sé).

Are we really going to ignore the fact that it has the best, and most fluid combat system in the series, with dodge rolls, dodge rolls on the ground, counter attack moves, and so on? The action gameplay in this game was on point, and definitely is up there with Vanquish.

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE6 is fucking awesome, one of the best action games ever made. It's up there with Vanquish when it comes to third person shooters.

Because it's true? At least when it comes to the fact, that Resident Evil 6 is an excellent action game (and not Resident Evil per sé).

Are we really going to ignore the fact that it has the best, and most fluid combat system in the series, with dodge rolls, dodge rolls on the ground, counter attack moves, and so on? The action gameplay in this game was on point, and definitely is up there with Vanquish.
the action gameplay is only viable in mercenaries, a small bonus mode that can be accessed after beating the game.
The actual campaign (campaigns) are garbage with shit level design, shit encounter design, shit boss fights and shit setpiece moments. The complex combat system just doesn't work here.

It's not an excellent game, it's not even a good game or a flawed gem or whatever.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

the action gameplay is only viable in mercenaries, a small bonus mode that can be accessed after beating the game.
The actual campaign (campaigns) are garbage with shit level design, shit encounter design, shit boss fights and shit setpiece moments. The complex combat system just doesn't work here.

It's not an excellent game, it's not even a good game or a flawed gem or whatever.

Nah man, the campaigns had a lot of open areas where you could make use of it. Especially Chris' campaign, which was fucking great.

This is not even kind of true. RE6 has tons of large areas, some are pretty fucking big even. Even the smallest areas I can think of (some hallways) give you room to do the dodge moves, although designing areas where you've got to use your counter to avoid attacks as opposed to the dodge wouldn't be wrong or bad. I'm not even sure how anyone could shit talk enemy encounters and boss fights in RE6 and talk up RE5. RE5 has the worst boss fights of 4, 5, and 6; and it's normal enemy encounters end up feeling like a weaker version of RE4.

Once I actually got the hang of how RE6 is meant to be played (this is a bad aspect of the game, as the game doesn't properly communicate this to you; and at first it seems enough like RE4 and 5 where you might be trying to play it like that, which isn't good given where you shoot enemies to set up contextual moves has changed, and the new melee system is something you'll be using more than you might think) I wasn't playing it any differently in the campaigns than I was Mercenaries.

fork

Yeah, a shovelware RE containment thread. We could also split that one off into a new forum, and then make a new real general Resident Evil thread for the prestigious classics before RE4 and leave that one here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom