Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

Ezekiel

Arcane
Blade Runner isn't all that big of a movie. It's a cult movie, it bombed at the box office, and wasn't particularly well know outside of people really into movies and comic books until maybe pretty recently. It's kind of why it was shocking it got such a big budget sequel a few years ago, because it's still a pretty niche film. Although it was becoming more well known when they greenlit that sequel (or at least it looked that way if you looked at people talking about it online) than it was at probably any other point in time. That sequel ended up underperforming too, although it was seen by more people in the theatre than the original.
I'm not really talking about the general public, though. Blade Runner has 706,000 IMDB members, almost as many as Die Hard and more than Jaws (which he also titled like that). I know IMDB doesn't say much about the general public, but he is making videos for the nerdier internet community, so many of the same kinds of people who would use IMDB. It's a well known movie in those circles. I doubt very many of the people who watch those videos haven't watched Blade Runner or don't at least know its reputation. He made his video about Blade Runner because it's popular in those circles. It's the kind of video that would get easy likes. Which I understand. His channel wouldn't make as much money if he recommended some Italian movies from sixty years ago. But like I said, the title sucks for well known movies.

Wunderbar

Arcane
After beating the game multiple times for challenges and unlockables, i can say that the replayability is pretty low.

No merchant run (aka "frugal father" achievement, i.e. beat the game while spending less than 10 000 lei) is basically the same as the normal run. The only two differences are:
- you have a smaller inventory capacity because you can't buy attache case upgrades. The inventory is still big enough for everything you'll need, on normal difficulty anyway;
- you can't upgrade weapons, which only makes the game more annoying since enemies aren't particularly fun to fight and you don't have any other options (like melee).
"No merchant run" is one of RE4 optional challenges that were invented by the community, you may find "no merchant" speedruns on youtube. The difference between RE4 no merchant and RE8 no merchant (aside from RE4 being superior to RE8 in every way) is that in RE4 most of the guns cannot be found in the wild, you'll have to buy them. Because of that, the only weapons available to you are the starting pistol, the pump-action shotgun from the first village fight, the magnum revolver, and one rocket launcher. "No merchant" in RE4 was a pretty fun self-imposed restriction, that changed the way you play the game significantly - the inventory was actually small, and weapons being weak forced you to improvise, use melee, use grenades, etc. Looks like RE8 devs just added this challenge into the game without putting any real thought, because it barely differs from the way you play the game normally.

Knife only ("knives out") is fuckng garbage that cannot be properly played unless you unlock karambit or lightsaber, because the default knife is utterly useless. And even if you have karambit, you'll gonna get your ass rekt during Chris' segment where you must fight Urias (the big guy who's guarding the mutamycete). Urias has a fuckton of health and his weakspot is too high up and cannot be targeted with a knife. I've been scratching him for nearly twenty minutes of real time, and to add insult to injury that faggot has a jumping attack that cannot be reliably avoided.

Village of Shadows difficulty is garbage too. RE7's Madhouse was basically an Arrange mode with reshuffled item placements. RE2 remake's Hardcore added Ink ribbons, and made zombies tankier to incentivize leaving them "alive" and learning the map to avoid dangerous spots. RE3's inferno spiced things up with new enemy placements and overhauled resource/item management (you get less sidepacks, but the game gives you Magnum pistol right at the start which makes you decide whether you want to craft shotgun shells, or hoard high-grade gunpowder for magnum rounds). Village of shadows simply makes all enemies into damage sponges and cranks up the damage they deal to the point of being impossible to play without using unlockable weapons with infinite ammo.

Don't bother with replaying, it's a "one and done" kind of game. A real shame.

Drakortha

Liturgist
If you actually paid full price for this garbage, I don't know what to tell you. Kill yourself maybe? Or get your head examined at least.

In other news; imagine being excited by this
If you are still defending Crapcom after this, you should be embarrassed.

RapineDel

Augur
Recently played through and beat this.

First things first, I personally don't take anyone's opinion on the scares in a horror game seriously unless they played in the dark only, alone and with head phones on. I personally see it as the ONLY way to play these games unless you want it to be a mindless action game.

On that note, the sound design is excellent and probably one of the highlights. It keeps what would otherwise be pretty uneventful moments full of tension so props to them for that.

Next, the game is a big step up from Resident Evil 3 Remake. That game was a dog turd, this sits somewhere around Resident Evil 7 but still below RE2: Remake.

Pros:
- The Village itself is pretty well designed once it opens up a bit. It's not as good as the Police Station in 2 Remake but I enjoyed the middle section where I had more time to search houses and explore, it also went well with the wolf/stealth section later.
- Some on here may not have enjoyed it but I found House Beneviento to be very good. It was one of the few locations that didn't rely on cutscenes. Despite it being fairly short it was mostly gameplay driven with the scares purely driven by atmosphere and suspense. The monster that follows you was interesting and thank god it was introduced naturally without a contrived on rails chase sequence.
- I thought the Factory, the last major area was overall quite good. It was lengthy, and the new enemy was interesting enough for me to have to take a bit more care with ammo which hadn't been the case before. Highlight was probably returning to the first area of the Factory where the lights are off and running into the fully armoured mobs who'd spawned out of nowhere.
- Surprised I didn't mention it earlier but I really liked the setting. It was a change of pace for a horror game and considering at least half the game is set in pure daylight, the fact it still had an uneasy atmosphere showed they did a pretty good job.
- I'm actually fine with the more serious story/approach. Some traditionalist don't like it, but I think Capcom are in a unique position to be able to make big budget horror games with great AI like Mr. X. I think they should stick to it and focus on the survival horror stuff. When they throw action into the mix they lose their purpose.

Cons:
- After the atmosphere of the village wears off initially, the intro is total rubbish. Almost every opportunity for organic scares/gameplay is replaced with a cutscene which totally kills the tension. A good example is when you first head towards the Castle. I was shitting myself heading in, the second control was taken away from me and was met with a sitcom like cutscene with the 4 Children arguing amongst themselves I was pretty much shrugging my shoulders. This could have been done so much better.
- I thought Mr. X in 2 Remake was fantastic. Since then the idea of that has gone downhill. In this game, you have Lady Demetrius to start with. Your intro with her gameplay wise, is a contrived couple of rooms where you can very obviously circle around her using a pillar. It's incredibly obvious and seems to serve as some kind of tutorial to get players used to this type of enemy. Unfortunately, it is an almost laughable piece of game design that totally kills the tension, almost like they weren't willing to instead have players learn how to deal with this through dying which would have been the correct way to do it.

This continues throughout the mansion, unlike in 2 Remake, the Castle seems to have been designed to help you avoid Lady Demetrius as easily as possible, it's incredibly easy to circle around her and given the fact the open ended puzzle side of things is very short, she was barely a foot note in my playthrough. Underused in my opinion, she should have been an overarching threat that stalked you in the Village area rather then appearing briefly in the Mansion before being discarded.

- Possibly the worst area of the game, the Stronghold. Before meeting Heisenberg, you're dealt with an extremely generic action section where you basically clear waves of zombies, finishing up with probably the most boring boss in the game. I'm not sure what the purpose of this section was aside from making you waste your ammo perhaps to create more tension at Heisenberg's factory? That's a noble goal, but I honestly would have preferred a far less time consuming way of doing this.
- The Fish dude area I was a bit indifferent on. It basically waters down to a chase sequence/moving boxes. It's not the worst area of the game but it's not great. Solid boss at the end but it needed a bit more standard gameplay.
- Mother Miranda was a very boring villain that added nothing to the game. You're basically introduced to her when she's already losing which totally kills any kind of fear you may have. The boss fight at the end had some good ideas but felt a bit wonky in First Person, would have been better suited for 3rd Person Resident Evil.
- Enemy variety was severely lacking also, outside the Factory, you basically fight the same enemies throughout the whole game + some generic birds from Morrowind, a step-down again from RE2 - Remake.

Overall a solid entry that does feel a bit like a bunch of ideas mashed together. I actually don't mind the 4 Areas with a different spin in each but the differences in quality hurt the process a fair bit. I'd really like to see them go back to basics for the next one though. One main large area with a few smaller ones afterwards, a main stalker villain as good or better then Mr. X and a decent amount of different enemies. Sprinkle that with a couple of sections like House Beneviento which I think are great for a first time experience and they'd be onto something.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you actually paid full price for this garbage, I don't know what to tell you. Kill yourself maybe? Or get your head examined at least.

In other news; imagine being excited by this
If you are still defending Crapcom after this, you should be embarrassed.

DBD has the highest concentration of faggots I've ever seen before in a game. It's almost worth playing that janky trash just to farm death threats by deranged benzo-addled sodomites.

Ivan

Arcane
E4dHSF7WUAAYC4L

Wunderbar

Arcane
The game got cracked, and apparently the stuttering some players were experiencing were caused by Denuvo checks.

Why do you think that when you kill a zombie in the game there is tiny micro shutter, felt especially on older CPUs. Because Capcom decided to put one of their heavy check loops obfuscated in denuvo's vm which takes a lot of cpu time to execute.

xhzz405.png

turns out Jenkem wasn't lying. Oh well.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Resident Evil Village crack completely fixes its stuttering issues
JULY 10, 2021 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS 77 COMMENTS

As we reported in our PC Performance Analysis, Resident Evil Village was suffering from some really annoying stuttering issues. And, from the looks of it, the culprit behind those stutters was Capcom’s own DRM. Earlier today, EMPRESS cracked this latest Resident Evil game. And, we can now confirm that the pirated version does not suffer from any stuttering issues.

From the looks of it, the culprit behind these stutters is Capcom’s DRM. EMPRESS claims that the game uses Capcom’s anti-tamper V3 and Denuvo V11.

“All in-game shutters like the one from when you kill a zombie are fixed because Capcom DRM’s enty points are patched out so most of their functions are never executed anymore. This results in much smoother game experience.”

In order to thoroughly test the game, we’ve played the pirated version for over two hours and killed numerous enemies. And, surprisingly enough, we did not get a single stutter during these two hours. Even the catacombs at Lady Dimitrescu’s castle, an area notorious for its stuttering issues when killing enemies, was stutter-free.

This could very well explain why Capcom has not commented on the game’s stuttering issues. Over the past couple of months, PC gamers were asking for a fix. And, thanks to piracy, we now know what is causing them.

Now I don’t encourage you to pirate the game. However, it’s really disappointing witnessing – yet another – game running better via its pirated/cracked version.

Below you can find a video that shows how silky smooth the cracked version of Resident Evil Village actually is!

Can't handle the bacon

Resident Evil games typically tend to have an idiot plot, but this one was probably the worst one out of any I've ever played, which is all the mainline games sans Code Veronica and 6. As soon as the game starts, it is hilariously stupid, and only goes further downhill from there.

The intro where Chris Redfield seems to murder Ethan's wife was a lazy fake-out that could be seen from a mile away, and the game even puts a lampshade on this, proving that the devs were smart enough to know their characters' actions make no sense, but too dumb and lazy to write something that wasn't nonsensical. Besides the fact that Chris had ample opportunity to explain his actions right at the very beginning, there's actually a point where you meet him half-way into the game (in the fish-lord's area, iirc) and he is still inexplicably beligerent and secretive for no reason (whereas Ethan acts more like Chris had run over his puppy than murdered the love of his life in cold blood for no reason). Not wanting Ethan "to get involved" is a retarded excuse.

Here's a simple fix: use tranquilizers. Suppose that, as "Mia" is being pulverized with bullets, Ethan gets shot with a tranq dart, and sees Chris come in to the scene as he is blacking out. Chris, intending to transport his sleeping body (and the damn baby) to a safehouse (and hopefully find and rescue the real Mia in the meantime), and then explain everything to him there, has Ethan carried downstairs to be put into the truck outside, however, because of Ethan's fungal superpowers, he unexpectedly wakes up in the hallway, and starts yelling and making a scene. Chris is momentarily taken aback, and before he can say anything, one of the other squad members knocks Ethan out with the butt of a rifle. Then Ethan wakes up in a torn-apart van and has to go through the rest of the game without any explanations until he finally has a chance to have a word with Chris in Heisenberg's factory near the end. That way, the mystery doesn't feel horribly contrived once the plot twist is revealed.

For bonus points, maybe throw in some misdirection that seems to suggest that something was found to be horribly wrong with Mia, implying that the anti-zombie forces considered her to be a threat, thus explaining why they would want to assassinate her, and later reveal that this intel was really about Ethan all along. They kind of did that with the flashback where Mia is worried about something, but the misdirection was pointing to the baby rather than Mia herself, which was a pointless detail that went nowhere because we already know something is horribly wrong with the baby as early as Dimitrescu's area, if not before.

I didn't understand why the witch thought that this particular baby was the key to resurrecting her dead daughter. Did she have any reason to think that Eva was connected to the magic mushroom hivemind in any way? Why would she think that, if she died of an ordinary illness before the fungus was discovered, thus precluding Eva having any contact with it? What was she even trying to accomplish by taking Rosemary apart, and then putting her back together? Don't you love a plot where the primary villain's main motivations are nonsensical and can only be explained by "the bitch is batshit crazy"?

Also, the baby dismemberment thing was in extremely poor taste and probably one of the most degenerate things I've ever seen in a video game. A new milestone in modern pop-culture's journey to hell.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Resident Evil Village crack completely fixes its stuttering issues
JULY 10, 2021 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS 77 COMMENTS

As we reported in our PC Performance Analysis, Resident Evil Village was suffering from some really annoying stuttering issues. And, from the looks of it, the culprit behind those stutters was Capcom’s own DRM. Earlier today, EMPRESS cracked this latest Resident Evil game. And, we can now confirm that the pirated version does not suffer from any stuttering issues.

From the looks of it, the culprit behind these stutters is Capcom’s DRM. EMPRESS claims that the game uses Capcom’s anti-tamper V3 and Denuvo V11.

“All in-game shutters like the one from when you kill a zombie are fixed because Capcom DRM’s enty points are patched out so most of their functions are never executed anymore. This results in much smoother game experience.”

In order to thoroughly test the game, we’ve played the pirated version for over two hours and killed numerous enemies. And, surprisingly enough, we did not get a single stutter during these two hours. Even the catacombs at Lady Dimitrescu’s castle, an area notorious for its stuttering issues when killing enemies, was stutter-free.

This could very well explain why Capcom has not commented on the game’s stuttering issues. Over the past couple of months, PC gamers were asking for a fix. And, thanks to piracy, we now know what is causing them.

Now I don’t encourage you to pirate the game. However, it’s really disappointing witnessing – yet another – game running better via its pirated/cracked version.

Below you can find a video that shows how silky smooth the cracked version of Resident Evil Village actually is!
"B-BUT DEN-NUUVOO HAS Z-ZERO IMPACT ON P-PERFORMANCE!!!"

Piracy wins again.

orcinator

Liturgist
I successfully avoided paying attention to any news of discussion about this game so I could go in blind (did see the leaked dragon transformation).
Turns out it sucks. Damn.

Also, the baby dismemberment thing was in extremely poor taste and probably one of the most degenerate things I've ever seen in a video game. A new milestone in modern pop-culture's journey to hell.
Wow, really fucked up that a game taking inspiration from RE4 would do bad things to babies!

Last edited:
I successfully avoided paying attention to any news of discussion about this game so I could go in blind (did see the leaked dragon transformation).
Turns out it sucks. Damn.

Wow, really fucked up that a game taking inspiration from RE4 would do bad things to babies!

Are you mixing up RE4 with Dead Space?

Psquit

Arcane
the baby dismemberment thing was in extremely poor taste and probably one of the most degenerate things I've ever seen in a video game.
Kinda vanilla when we have games like I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Ecstatica (yeah, it's old), Silent hill, dead space, etc. Yeah, it took me by surprise but it didn't shocked me.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I've heard the Netflix RE show is going to have Jill Valentine played by a black kween.

I'd like to say right now if this is true I will be declaring Holy War.

Edit: Oh I'm like a year late lmao.

Hahahahaha. Hey did we ever get out of lockdown? Hahahahahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Good, I didn't wanna have to whoop everyone's ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom