Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Resonance

kaizoku

Arcane
Considering that it's on pre-order on GOG, probably a lot of you already know about it.
I had first posted about this game here some weeks ago

point and click adventure [check]
2D art [check]
pixel goodness [check]
interesting sci-fi story [check]
multiple characters [check]
non-dumbed down interface [check] (in theory it sounds great, not sure how it will be in practice)
voice acting [check]
multiple endings [I wish... but I doubt it has it]

http://xiigames.com/resonance/

I'm not one to pre-order stuff, but I really liked what I saw so far and even if for the effort, it's worth 9 bucks at gog. Even if it sucks (which I doubt) it was worth the shot in trying to fight the decline.

GOG link (with codex affil code)
http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/resonance/?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Shervin

Educated
Do we know any of the developers on this one?
Wadjet Eye games is the developer. They were behind Gemini Rue which had the best plot twist I have ever seen in any kind of story of any form. Can't wait for this.

kaizoku

Arcane
Wadjet Eye games is the developer. They were behind Gemini Rue which had the best plot twist I have ever seen in any kind of story of any form. Can't wait for this.
Wrong.
Wadjet Eye is the publisher.
Gemini Rue was done by Joshua Nuernberger and Wadjet just published it http://www.thejburger.com/games.html

FrancoTAU
Nope. But new guys deserve a chance too. Check the links I posted.
And you can always wait until next month when it is released.

Shervin

Educated
Oh I hate it when I deliver wrong information. Thanks for the correction.

trustno1code

Prophet
Wrong.
Wadjet Eye is the publisher.
Well, he's partly right actually, since Wadjet supports the development as well, at least from the technical side:
About a year ago "Mrs. Wadjet Eye Games", Janet Gilbert, joined the team as lead programmer. And Dave Gilbert is handling voice acting (link).

kaizoku

Arcane
I guess I wasn't entirely right also.
It seems for Resonance there was a joint partnership between xii games and Wadjet Eye. Not sure about the details.

edit: trustno1code beat me by a minute :)

Redlands

Arcane
This should be interesting. I've played Anna and WLBSWHEAC (a couple of the games Vince Twelve made) and they're fun if somewhat weird, and the Wadjet Eye games are not too bad (well, with the potential exception of Emerald City Confidential, but he kind of explained the stuff about that that I didn't like satisfactorially).

kaizoku

Arcane
multiple endings [I wish... but I doubt it has it]
Doubt no more:
VinceTwelve said:
Multiple endings: Yes!
Branching gameplay: Somewhat. The story is quite linear, but there are multiple ways to solve some puzzles, some parts of the game can be completed in different orders, and there are some completely optional puzzles as well.
No more excuses then.

Now it's time to take action.
Fight the decline!
Do your patriotic duty and support this game today!

http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/resonance/?as=1649904300
(or wait until next month, when it's finally released and possibly some reviews come out)

Last edited by a moderator:

Keshik

Arcane
Looks interesting, will keep an eye out for reviews and such on it, really do need a new adventure game.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yup, we as gamers have some obligations, if we want "fight" with "causal/marketing/sociological" targeted games. Anyway... if a=SF based theme point and click then preorder=1 : run.

trustno1code

Prophet
Anyone who pre-ordered the game on gog can try it out already, they're offering "exclusive four hours of Resonance Playable Preview".

"VinceTwelve said:
I will point out that because this preview is built on near-complete-but-not-quite-complete code, the saves from this preview WILL NOT be compatible with the full version of the game. However, we will provide you with some way to skip to the point in the game where this preview leaves off. But your points and achievements will not follow forward. So, if you’re keen on that kind of thing, you would need to replay this portion of the game. There’s about 4 hours of gameplay here, but if you know what you’re doing, you can buzz through much faster than that.

And for anyone who went for the boxed edition:

WadjetEye said:
Free GoG codes for boxed edition customers!
GoG announced today that they will be giving free activation codes for everyone who purchased the boxed edition. So if you bought directly from us (which we appreciate!) but would prefer activating the game in your GoG library, you can now do so. If you would like a GoG code, forward us your email receipt and we'll send you one.

kaizoku

Arcane
WadjetEye said:
GoG announced today that they will be giving free activation codes for everyone who purchased the boxed edition. So if you bought directly from us (which we appreciate!) but would prefer activating the game in your GoG library, you can now do so. If you would like a GoG code, forward us your email receipt and we'll send you one.

Now they tell me :|

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
WadjetEye said:

Hah! I'm in the same boat. I'd have only played perfunctorily, though. Like AOD, I want to go into the game with a fresh set of eyes.

trustno1code

Prophet
WadjetEye said:
snip

Hah! I'm in the same boat. I'd have only played perfunctorily, though. Like AOD, I want to go into the game with a fresh set of eyes.
Yet again, WadjetEye newsletter to the rescue:

WadjetEye said:
Ordered on GOG but still want the boxed edition?
We can hook you up. Email us your receipt from GOG and we will give you a voucher for a copy of the boxed edition minus the cost of the GOG edition.

In other news, demo is now 'available to everyone' and there's a fanart contest going on (boxed and digital copies of Resonance up for grabs, "as well as a character based on you in the next Blackwell game" for the Grand Prize winner).

Box looks pretty sweet ("it's an early version and not representative of the actual product - the final product will be much glossier/sharper"):
DaveGilbert_boxinside.jpg

269382_10151030272154458_637951545_n.jpg

kaizoku

Arcane
Thanks for the heads up. And that box looks pretty sweet.

Will be trying out the demo latter today.

kaizoku

Arcane
Just finished the demo and I loved it.
The game is very well polished and you can see that there was a lot of love into this one.

The puzzles were always logical, although on a situation or two they would have benefited from having an alternative solution. In any case, the developer has said that there are multiple solutions to some puzzles. (it just wasn't there for this one, but he's not forced to give alternative solutions to everything anyway)

During the demo I felt the game to be very story driven. I can't say if it will be like this during the rest of the game, but I guess I'll find out on the 19th (when the game comes out).
Being story driven is not a bad thing, especially for a storyfag like myself. What I fear is that the puzzles may not be enough.

If I try to compare it to, for example, GK1, it seems the main difference is that in GK1 during most of the game you had multiple locations and therefore multiple interaction points. This gives you a lot of freedom and the point is for you to act as kind of a detective, explore them, find those breadcrumbs, and try to make something out of them. One positive aspect of this is that most of the times you have several problems to solve, so if you get stuck in one you can try another one. The downside is that when you're stuck, you just wander over every area completely lost without knowing what to do and that's frustrating sometimes.
While on Resonance, so far, you are limited to a couple of rooms on a given occasion and as such you have a smaller set of interaction points, which kind of streamlines things (I know the word streamline is associated with dumbing down, but that's not what I mean here), it reduces the problem's number of variables. You are presented with an immediate problem and you have to solve it.

Finally I'd also like to add that it made me smile a couple of times. The sleuth-team duo was a very funny one :)

mmm... and for those who care you can also die. The game instantly rewinds up to a certain point, which releases the frustration for those who forget to save.

tl,dr: TRY THE DEMO NAO

Vince Twelve

Novice
Hey guys! Vince Twelve, developer of Resonance here! Thanks for all the kind words! I worked on this game for five years, so it's awesome to start hearing what people think of it!

kaizoku: I will tell you that one the four characters finally get all teamed up, the game world opens itself up to you and you get to fully explore a number of locations, solve puzzles in different orders, choose which character to use to perform certain tasks etc. So, I think the non-linearity will definitely satisfy you!

Let me know if you have any questions!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let me know if you have any questions!

How big would you say the demo is compared to the rest of the game?

Edit: Also is there some other way to open the door to the professor, other than trial end error (using the scratch marks on the keys as clues)?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Preordered to support Wadjet Eye, about halfway through the demo. It's pretty cool.

How many points maximum can you get in the demo, by the way?

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
evdk

There is another clue to guessing the keycode as well as the scratch marks on the panel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom