Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Restricted Area back and forth at Gaming Chart

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Restricted Area

There's a <a href="http://www.gamingchart.com/article-9.php">nifty interview</a> covering <a href="http://www.restricted-area.net">Restricted Area</a> over at <a href="http://www.gamingchart.com/">Gaming Chart</a> for those who want a little more detail about the beast. Here's a bit on the classes:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Restricted Area allows players to choose from 4 characters. While this is a modest number of characters compared to some other RPG titles, what benefits does concentrating development on 4 highly unique and detailed characters have as opposed to offering a larger selection of characters or a character generator?</b>
<br>
<br>
As you said, the benefit is that they are highly unique and detailed. Most RPGs offer several so-called classes to build a character from. While this is a good way for having lots of different figures ? important for example in a MMORPG ? the side effect is that the characters are missing a very important thing: character. They are just a bunch of body parts and clothes with different values and attributes, but they have no (or nearly no) background story and no unique abilities. You can think of Restricted Area as a movie with four main characters, and you are an actor which can choose which role you would like to play. The other characters will appear in the game as well, and ?AI actors? (or your friends) will play their roles. A major difference to a movie is of course that there?s no stroybook for what you do, only for the characters you don´t control. This is a new way that offers more interesting story twists and creates a new feeling.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I demand an <i>accountant</i> class, where you can win the game by proving the bad guys are cooking their books.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the tip off, <b>Adam Corsetti</b>!

Astromarine

Erudite
Hmmm, this is a valid solution, even though the *whole point* of "standard" RPGs is to have the character be exactly that kind of amorphous ball. YOU are supposed to give it it's background and flavor, not the game writers. Still, it is a fact that this solution add something on the way of backplot and such. I guess my preferred solution would be to have the four different characters in the game as personalities and backstory, but still allow full customization of each. Kind of like the Vault Dweller. You can't choose what he was before, but after the moment you take control of him you can make him what you wish.

EEVIAC

Erudite
But the most important point may be the more direct controls, which offer pixel perfect movement and collision (while games like Diablo 2 use small squares), egoshooter-like wall sliding and the possibility to make side steps!

For years I've been hoping for a Crusader like game, but with an open ended world to explore. As much as I'd like an in-depth, grognard, sci-fi RPG, if Restricted Area turns out to be an amalgam of a Crusader like game and (Megadrive) Shadowrun (which is how I'm imagining it in my own mind at the moment,) I'll be very happy.

Keeping a decent range with weapons is a big problem with action-rpg's, having direct and independant control of the player's aim and movement could allieviate this. It beats the simplistic combat of click-to-move, click-to-attack method.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom