Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview Restricted Area Skills part 1 - Background & Attributes

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jan Beuck; Master Creating; Restricted Area

This is a look at the general background information on the skills and attributes system used in Restricted Area, as written by Jan Beuck of master-creating.

Each character has 15 unique skills, fitting to his background and his potential. Unique really means unique - it was very important to us that there are no similar skills at all (for example, if one character has a skill that increases his attack speed, he has no other skill that effects the attack speed at all and no other character has a skill like this as well). I think this is very important as nobody needs 10 skills of each kind that do basically the same thing, maybe with a slightly different graphical effect, but somehow that's very common. It was also very important to us that there are no skills which become worthless once you may learn a better one! All skills stay useful forever and no development point can ever be spend "wrong", except maybe for your personal opinion.​

I like unique, it's good for skill sets to be unique. Easier to implement, too!

Azaka

Novice
Kinda Shadowrun-ish set of stats there, not to mention Ballistic/Impact armour. Which, of course, is just fine by me since I love Shadowrun!

I'd like to know the reason for picking Reaction as the third "mental" stat, though. Reaction in SR is based on int+dex which makes it a derived stat, but here it's a primary stat? Is it really different enough from Dexterity to warrant putting it in there?

And I hope nobody gets sued over that plasma rifle... :wink:

Looking forward to this game! :!:

Jan

Novice
RE

Yes, Shadowrun was one of our main inspirations for the attribute system. The reason we added Reaction as a mental attribute was a blancing decision: Dexterity would be too important otherwise - Dexterity handles your chance to hit (and other stuff), Reaction your chance to evade attacks. Both in one attribute would be critical as this would be the most important combat attribute for all characters.

BTW: Plasma rifle? Isn´t there one in any sci-fi game?? :roll:

Jan

Novice
RE

The "Strength" has been already corrected. The game is developed in German and we had to translate it quickly for this shot (otherwise it would be "Stärke"). The reason we develop the game in German is that it´s the language with the longest words and sentences to say something - if a word fits in German, there´s surely an English word that will fit into the border as well.

About the Dexterity / Reaction thing: Balancing is the most important reason, but there are others. For example, Reaction hasn´t to do anything with Dexterity. You can be very handy and skillful but that doesn´t mean you are fast. I don´t think we need to stick with the ideas of AD&D forever...

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Reaction/Quickness makes sense to me. A sprinter would need both, for example, Reaction to get away right after the start pistol shot, and Quickness to run past his opponents.

Sandelfron

Scholar
This game is incredibly bad, and you should feel bad. Nuff said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom