Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Retro blobber Bloodwych now on Steam

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Curratum, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Curratum Cipher

Curratum

Launch discount. Never played it, any opinions are welcome.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ProphetSword Arcane Developer

ProphetSword
    I was just playing a version of this on my Commodore 64 last week.

[​IMG]

The version for sale looks like a port from some other system (Amiga or Atari ST, maybe?). Honestly, the game seemed kind of clunky and you could only pick from pre-generated characters. I didn't find a way to create characters.

To be fair, I only played the game for about ten minutes before moving on to something else, and I had never played it previously. Hopefully someone will have a more informed opinion about it that can share some knowledge. Maybe I'll give it another go if it's worth the effort.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Regarding characters, there are 16 characters avalaible, one for each of the combinaison of one of the 4 classes and one of the 4 spell elements. Mages get spells faster, adventurers normally and archers and fighters slower. You start with one and can recruit the other ones, you need to convince them to join the party but I don't think I ever got into a situation where the ones I wanted to recruit refused to join my party.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Oh god, why.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    DOS version.

The Social Justice RPG Warrior once tried to beat the game. He didn't manage to finish it (maybe it's a good sign?).

I played it a lot on the old ZX Spectrum. I think it was the first Dungeon-Crawler which allowed co-op.
    Huuuuuuuuuge game. My only point against it right now is that it doesn't have Automap (which is good for those folks who are under quarantine maybe?)

Still it's a nice gem for old-school dungeon-crawling fans.

And here's a cool introduction to the game:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    ^ Top  
  6. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    The versions I tried had mouse-key movement only, which especially in a blobber can become an utter chore

^ Top  
  7. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    Wasn't there remake done in mid-90s or so calledHexx: Heresy of the Wizard? Anyone played it?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Grauken Agent of the NWO Patron

Grauken
    Wikipedia says the same, but from vids you can see it's free-moving, no more grid-based movement, which would make it even more cumbersome for moving around (it's clearly no UU). I remember the reviews scores when it came out where pretty mediocre, if it was reviewed at all

^ Top  
  9. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    Yeah, I think it was reviewed in finnish gaming magazine at the time, but can't remember what they said about it or the score, so probably mediocre.

^ Top  
  10. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    So it adds Nothing to the already available version on various abandonware sites since decades now , no visible improvement from the amiga version either..What's the point ?
    Game was Worth playing back then, but now not even an upgrade, really. It's not especially harder to finish than dungeon master or chaos strike back, if crpg"addict" wasnt able to finish it its probably because he's not interested into gaming but only in an ego boost.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. k0syak Savant

k0syak
    Played Hexx, but not Bloodwych.
    Don't remember having to recruit characters and it had free movement.

^ Top  
  12. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    I played it back in the 90s. Couldn't play it more than a few minutes due to a system/game bug; not sure what it was. But the game always intrigued me.

However from what little i played it was unimpressive, sadly. Could be wrong though.

^ Top  
  13. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I agree with you. All games cprgaddict liked are cuckshit and vice versa.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.