Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Maybe all 3 reasons mentioned above merged, can be correct. Who knows what's happening into his head. After all, senile retardation exists.

negator2vc

Scholar
Yeah he likes to provoke but doesn't have the thick hide needed for this.
he can always unleash his sycophants on social media.
To this day "people" on facebook groups still accuse people who don't like the game art
that they don't like it because it's not pixelart!

Dodo1610

Arcane
Most devs anger their fans by appealing to a larger audience. Ron does the opposite he made a game only he and his friends like, very based ...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hgpd0si.png

iu

iu

I felt in love with Elaine when I first saw her thanks to this nice art style and graphics. Back then we were naive kids that thinking how future game art styles gonna improve.
How little we knew...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Link to thread.

As usual "gamers" are to blame.

Poor devs. Always the victim. Forced to work on games due to retro-fascists having them imprisoned.

Attachments

• Lol2.jpg
    Lol2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 205

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
talesofmi101_idol_lowres.jpg

229907-guybrushmi4.jpg

tcomi-cover.jpg

Guybrush.jpg

I think Ron was probably trying to back away from the defined (punchable) features of CoMI to something a bit more impressionistic without doing pixel art - oh well. Guybrush has been horrifying in every style since MI2. It looks like they've toned down the smugness. Backgrounds bug me more. Nary a swirly cloud in sight, at least.

Falksi

Arcane
Just look at this lush pixelart of a lass stroking her pussy in her bedroom...

How the fuck Gilbert would sooner use spastic-candy style art instead is just unreal. Has the dude gone blind as well as mental?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Oh? Did a fat senile has-been get offended that his having made a nice game 50 years ago does NOT entitle him to free endorsements for whatever dumbshit rehashes of that nice game from 50 years ago? Not only is he shamelessly STILL trying to bandwagon on Monkey Island, instead of inventing a new fucking franchise, he also hires some sketchy, tasteless artists, who produce sketchy, tasteless art - and fails to name the problem! FUCK Gilbert.

Boleskine

Arcane
Yeah he likes to provoke but doesn't have the thick hide needed for this.
From what I've gathered over the years Ron is fairly opinionated and abrasive. People with those types of personalities tend to be the most insecure and thin-skinned.

I doubt anyone is actually upset by the whole 'retro fascist' thing - it's quite hilarious as the latest attempt to dismiss critics and deserves to be mocked. I get that the people working on the game are defensive of it, they should be, but they should focus on championing why they like that art style and why it fits the game rather than why anyone who doesn't like it is a retro-fascist or an idiot who doesn't know the difference between pixel art and scanned background paintings.

Why acknowledge that your product might not be as well-received as you wanted when you can just lie to yourself to invalidate the negative feedback?

On the whole "pixel art" thing... It is obviously prudent to correct people on MI2's backgrounds being scanned paintings rather than pixel art. What they miss is that when people say "pixel art" they probably mean "low-res VGA graphics like the first two MI games." I don't agree that ReMI should look like SoMI or MI2. I like the idea of taking a risk and doing something new. When the dust settles I don't think the art style will stop a majority of the detractors from playing the game.

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
Okay this might be the worst cope yet.

"If you can enjoy blocky graphics on Atari you can handle the new Monkey Island game's graphics."

Nevermind the sweet, sweet irony that most of the ANTIretroFA would be waging cancellation campaigns and relentlessly smearing the developers if it didn't meet their diversity quota or if the developer was an admitted conservative. That's why these people can never be taken seriously.

No one is saying that the new MI game shouldn't come out or that nobody should play it. They're saying they think the art style sucks. Some of the critical comments go too far but it's still criticism and feedback, no less valid than the opinions on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

kaysayva

Literate
Okay this might be the worst cope yet.

"If you can enjoy blocky graphics on Atari you can handle the new Monkey Island game's graphics."

Nevermind the sweet, sweet irony that most of the ANTIretroFA would be waging cancellation campaigns and relentlessly smearing the developers if it didn't meet their diversity quota or if the developer was an admitted conservative. That's why these people can never be taken seriously.

No one is saying that the new MI game shouldn't come out or that nobody should play it. They're saying they think the art style sucks. Some of the critical comments go too far but it's still criticism and feedback, no less valid than the opinions on the opposite end of the spectrum.

taking the risks too far in such classic title, is a major stupidity. the thing is that they chose the worst artstyle for an adventure game, these auto generated flash, spine, unity animations will always be horrible in the sense of art, and not gonna ever replace hand-animated, except for those who don't have a sense of art, they accept anything throwed on them, just like a graveyard or trash can, this is not acceptable.
if they didn't want to go for a real 2d/hand animated game, they could've made it in 3D with pre-rendered BGs, like grim, syberia, with better polish, not so hard, and more pleasing than this powerpoint slider style

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think Ron was probably trying to back away from the defined (punchable) features of CoMI to something a bit more impressionistic without doing pixel art - oh well. Guybrush has been horrifying in every style since MI2. It looks like they've toned down the smugness. Backgrounds bug me more. Nary a swirly cloud in sight, at least.
Art style decisions have essentially been contentious since Curse. I just don't like this new one.

1656608726435.jpg

Recall that Dave Gilbert spent years on the Codex enjoying interactions with fans and supporters. Then Unavowed came out and the reception here was quite mixed compared to near unanimous praise in the press and on social media. Gilbert suddenly had the epiphany that the Codex was too toxic for him.

That’s not what happened. He stopped posting before the game was released because the usual suspects kept trying to bait him into a flame war by making fun of his overweight friend and employee.

And I believe that before he stopped posting he stated that Unavowed was unlikely to appeal to most Codexers.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:negative:
People are posting comparison screenshots with the wrong aspect-ratio for the first two games. Like you're upset with the art style, but play the old games all stretched-to-fuck.

Boleskine

Arcane
Recall that Dave Gilbert spent years on the Codex enjoying interactions with fans and supporters. Then Unavowed came out and the reception here was quite mixed compared to near unanimous praise in the press and on social media. Gilbert suddenly had the epiphany that the Codex was too toxic for him.

That’s not what happened. He stopped posting before the game was released because the usual suspects kept trying to bait him into a flame war by making fun of his overweight friend and employee.
Already disproven. If that was his reason for abandoning the Codex he wouldn't have come back a year after the original Hepler comments and posted about Unavowed for two more years leading up to its release. During that break, sure, he was turned off by the negative comments to her, but we're talking about why he stopped posting since 2018, not from 2015-2016.

And look at that, his profile/status has still been updated twice. I don't know if that was him or someone like Infinitron, though.

W0REjOf.png

And I believe that before he stopped posting he stated that Unavowed was unlikely to appeal to most Codexers.
This seems to be the post you've referenced, which doesn't actually say Unavowed wouldn't appeal to Codexers.

I've always been pretty consistent when it comes to puzzles. The puzzles in Unavowed are about on par with those in my previous work. So if you had no problem with those, then you'll have no problem here!

We did this over a year ago, though. I don't fault him for losing his interest in this place - the Codex was in the minority on Unavowed. He has every right to post and read wherever he pleases. That doesn't change the fact that Dave left "because the ball-washing wasn't what it used to be."

Last edited:

negator2vc

Scholar
When the dust settles I don't think the art style will stop a majority of the detractors from playing the game.
Yes it will unfortunately! Not only because the art is bad (not different or new just plain bad) but also because the art will certainly affect the gameplay too.
For ex. in some scenes on the trailer the objects/npc aren't even distinguishable from the background elements.
Even with a key/button to show all interactables this will affect the gameplay/design in a very bad way.

Boleskine

Arcane
Good job, retro-fascists. You ruined everyone's fun!

https://kotaku.com/return-monkey-island-ron-gilbert-art-style-angry-fans-1849128586

Monkey Island Creator Ron Gilbert Has Joy Sapped From Sequel Thanks To Awful People​

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/30/23189707/ron-gilbert-return-to-monkey-island-online-abuse

Ron Gilbert won’t post about the new Monkey Island anymore following online abuse​

https://www.ign.com/articles/return-to-monkey-island-director-online-abuse

Return to Monkey Island Director Will No Longer Post About the Game Due to Online Abuse​

https://www.polygon.com/23189602/re...on-gilbert-art-style-guybrush-threepwood-blog

Ron Gilbert won’t share any more about Return to Monkey Island after art style complaints​

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ro...to-talk-about-return-to-monkey-island-anymore

Ron Gilbert doesn’t want to talk about Return To Monkey Island anymore​

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...rn-to-monkey-island-on-his-blog/1100-6505006/

Harassment Means Ron Gilbert Will Stop Talking About Return To Monkey Island On His Blog​

https://www.eurogamer.net/return-to...no-longer-talk-about-the-game-following-abuse

Return to Monkey Island creator will no longer talk about the game following abuse​

https://www.gamesradar.com/au/retur...ing-to-talk-about-the-game-due-to-toxic-fans/

Return to Monkey Island dev is refusing to talk about the game due to toxic "fans"​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/es...te-over-fan-harassment/ar-AAZ2gpa?li=BB15ms5q

Return to Monkey Island creator deletes website over fan harassment​

He didn't delete his website, he shut down posting of new comments.

I'd be curious to see the "abuse" and "harassment" but Ron says he deleted those posts. It sounds like those were actually contentious replies between commenters and not directed at Ron or the team.

Oh well, doesn't matter. Gamergate clearly organized a harassment campaign against Return to Monkey Island because the trailer has a strong black woman and anyone who doesn't like the art style is racist, toxic, misogynist, stupid, Nazi, anti-SJW, and most importantly retro-fascist.

feedback = harassment
dislike = abuse
opinions = toxic

Works every time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom