Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I prefer the avant-garde cartoons of the '50s and '60s.

visions

Arcane
Also, the Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and DOTT remakes are very decent. But stay away from the Monkey Island remakes at all costs.

What's the problem with the Monkey Island remakes, as long as you switch them to use the old graphics?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, the Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and DOTT remakes are very decent. But stay away from the Monkey Island remakes at all costs.

What's the problem with the Monkey Island remakes, as long as you switch them to use the old graphics?

I played through the MI2 remake on Steam with classic graphics and no voice acting, but I think it was still not quite true to the original experience.
IIRC the iMUSE system didn't work properly. The music transitions in Woodtick didn't feel as smooth as they do in the original.

EDIT:
Video:

The classic version has some sort of iMUSE system, but it feels less sophisticated than the original.

negator2vc

Scholar

How about not giving money to people who crap all over old games?
Not encouraging these type of remakes?
Remember the newest addition to the crap pile aka Blade Runner Enhanced Edition?

On the other hand remakes of DOTT, Full Throttle or Grim Fandango not only respect the past
but bring along a few enhancements like improved UI

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
IIRC the iMUSE system didn't work properly.
That's *major* decline. Also, they are not using proper aspect ration correction.

You *must* enable aspect-ratio correction for all 320x200 DOS games (and all games developed by American developers, intended primarily for the NTSC market).

I want to have this sentence engraved on my gravestone.

Neuromancer

Augur
While OSC is credited with writing insults, I'm pretty sure Ron has talked about his influences in designing that part of the game.

Edit: Right here, for instance.
https://www.gamesradar.com/making-of-monkey-island-insult-sword-fighting/
From that article:
...The eureka moment came during one of Gilbert's regular brainstorming sessions at the studio. On this occasion, he pulled the team together to watch old Errol Flynn-era pirate movies for inspiration...
...Tim Schafer, who served as codesigner and writer on Secret of Monkey Island, recalls the issue of sword fighting came up during one of the team's daily afternoon brainstorming sessions...
I wouldn't be surprised, if someone from the team - maybe this OSC guy - had the actual idea of Sword Insult Fighting and Ron took it as his own idea and now even believes that it was originally his idea.
That would fit his personality.

I experienced something similar while organizing an event some years ago.
Some woman, who was part of the team, later told everyone, how many ideas she came up with - and she certainly believed it herself, when in reality she pretty much did jack shit.

Divinity: Original Sin
While OSC is credited with writing insults, I'm pretty sure Ron has talked about his influences in designing that part of the game.

Edit: Right here, for instance.
https://www.gamesradar.com/making-of-monkey-island-insult-sword-fighting/
From that article:
...The eureka moment came during one of Gilbert's regular brainstorming sessions at the studio. On this occasion, he pulled the team together to watch old Errol Flynn-era pirate movies for inspiration...
...Tim Schafer, who served as codesigner and writer on Secret of Monkey Island, recalls the issue of sword fighting came up during one of the team's daily afternoon brainstorming sessions...
I wouldn't be surprised, if someone from the team - maybe this OSC guy - had the actual idea of Sword Insult Fighting and Ron took it as his own idea and now even believes that it was originally his idea.
That would fit his personality.

I experienced something similar while organizing an event some years ago.
Some woman, who was part of the team, later told everyone, how many ideas she came up with - and she certainly believed it herself, when in reality she pretty much did jack shit.
Hmmm, having an idea is one thing, writing the dialogue for that idea is another completelly different.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
you need aspect-ratio correction for every single 320x200 DOS game ever released,
There are interesting exceptions however. For example Frontier - Elite 2 (1993).
I stand corrected: while the *vast majority* of 320x200 DOS games need aspect ratio correction, there are indeed a few titles (quite a few of them ports of PAL Amiga games) that only look correct with square pixels. Here's a probably non-exhaustive list:
  • Afterlife
  • Battle Chess Enhanced
  • Beneath a Steel Sky
  • Disney's The Jungle Book
  • Disney's The Lion King
  • Ecstatica II
  • Elite I Plus
  • Flight Unlimited
  • Frontier - Elite II
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1994
  • Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995
  • Lemmings 3D
  • Lure of the Temptress
  • Master of Orion 2
  • MAX Mechanized Assault & Exploration
  • Overlord
  • Prehistorik 1
  • Scorched Earth
  • Seek and Destroy
  • System Shock
  • Terminator 2 The Arcade Game
  • The Incredible Machine 1
  • The Incredible Machine 2
  • Warlords II Deluxe
  • Worms
  • Z

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was thinking, sycophants are going to go out of their way to proclaim how good it looks just because of the backlash. And yes, the first reply is "That's beautiful!!"

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
ITS FUCKING BEAUTIFUL AND SUPER COZY!! I WANT IT NOW!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom