Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
that twitter thread and all those npc articles are so retarded. everyone just takes ron's butthurt word over it "there were PERSONAL ATTACKS!!!" and yet he can produce not even ONE (1) example of what he felt was an over-the-line personal attack. To people like Ron though saying "I think this art style sucks" is a "personal attack" so I am pretty skeptical of it even happening in the first place... but all the NPCs in the twitter thread just eat it up and repeat it like bleating sheep without stopping to ask for any sort of factual backing

Hobo Elf

Arcane
[...] violence on display here [...]
The what now? Where?
1656528587022.jpg

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
btw isn't this like the 3rd or 4th time since the announcement that he's "shut down the comment section" and "won't be posting again" ? dude is a prima donna who craves attention like all SJWs, he'll be back.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It was my impression that Dominic's intention with the phrase RETRO-fasct was tongue-in-cheek, like grammar-nazi etc.

it's 2022, nothing about the term "fascist" or "nazi" is said tongue-in-cheek anymore

I don't know man, that twitter thread he posted was quite cordial. Gilbert's meltdown is beyond embarrasing, but with Dominic I'm reasonably certain his comments were in jest.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is no limit on victim hood.

I knew that a coordinated attack on gamers were coming when it was first posted on Reddit.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Trailer for your game was completely ignored by the gaming media? Start sending mean tweets to yourself from alts and suddenly your game is a biggest story of the week.

:excellent:

Trailer for your game was completely ignored by the gaming media? Start sending mean tweets to yourself from alts and suddenly your game is a biggest story of the week.
Did it work? Steam forums are still completely dead, other than some guys stating that the art style is terrible.

I don't think I have ever seen that before for a "highly anticipated" game.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
"There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken MI with a hipstershit makeover."

- Thomas Covenant (probably)

Boleskine

Arcane
You know what would have been really cool? If they had made the game with multiple art styles.

I'm guessing that there will be an alternate timeline or something like that to avoid wiping out Curse/Escape/Tales storylines from the canon.

What if the game started with Guybrush in MI1/MI2 graphics environment? Then he progresses to a few scenes that are hand-drawn like Curse. Then he steps into a 3D world. Finally he ends up in a new art style for the last ~2/3 of the game. It would have been a nice way to pay tribute to the evolution of the series and of adventure gaming in general.

I wonder if Ron and Dave have come up with something like Back to the Future Part 2, in which they'll recreate scenes from the previous games and have old Guybrush trying to stay out of sight and help young Guybrush.

Strig

Learned
You know what would have been really cool? If they had made the game with multiple art styles.

I'm guessing that there will be an alternate timeline or something like that to avoid wiping out Curse/Escape/Tales storylines from the canon.

What if the game started with Guybrush in MI1/MI2 graphics environment? Then he progresses to a few scenes that are hand-drawn like Curse. Then he steps into a 3D world. Finally he ends up in a new art style for the last ~2/3 of the game. It would have been a nice way to pay tribute to the evolution of the series and of adventure gaming in general.

I wonder if Ron and Dave have come up with something like Back to the Future Part 2, in which they'll recreate scenes from the previous games and have old Guybrush trying to stay out of sight and help young Guybrush.
I don't really like the idea of having many different styles in one adventure game without a solid story reason for it. But they could implement something similar to the forest throwback screen from The Curse of Monkey Island:

monkey-3-mappa1.jpg

Only "in reverse". As the nuMI looks like absolute rubbish this screen would be a gorgeous rendition of Steve Purcells art, fluid movement painstakingly animated on ones by hand, animated backgrounds, character designs taken from the original box art, parallax effect, multiple planes of movement. Top of the line stuff just to show people what they could've done but chose not to. A final fuck you. I admit, I would respect the hell out of that.

Dexter

Arcane
The drama has started, to justify the unjustified.

They should concentrate more on "potential customers", including potential fans of the old games, and not whatever this "fandom" thing is.

- What would make people happy and want to part with their money at release for a new game?
- What did they like about the old games? What would attract them to be repeat customers and what would attract more customers? What did they dislike and would put them off?
- What would piss them off or potentially put them off buying it?
monkeyislandartstylez4kx2.jpg

This isn't a student art project at some no-name exhibition for Modern Art, they're trying to sell a product to a worldwide audience here, and one with a decade-long history and an entire assortment of past titles to compare it to and in-built hopes and expectations.

Also insulting your (potential) customers and telling them their concerns are wrong or stupid is never a particularly good idea, even if it might be true.

This applies to Dave Gilbert and his late game, played the Demo and it's not as bad as I thought or at least has some potential, but for some reason they decided this is the character art style they wanted to go with, even though they did this part better in every single one of their past products:
20220620195213_1eljgh.jpg

I don't know what the fuck they are doing, but why would I buy and play this shit over say the upcoming Season of the Warlock, BROK or Dreams in the Witch House etc., which I tried and actually enjoyed presuming "because I liked a series of games this guy made 32 years ago" isn't a valid reason?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom