Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Alternative Balancing, the supreme experience for Gothic 2 NOTR, Now more easy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The autistic Russians modders who made Returning never understood what makes Gothic 2 great, almost every single thing that they added makes it worse like the retarded stamina system, the UI, the shit high fantasy story and so much more. :argh:

Wrong. Returning allows a lot of good things. For eg, you no longer needs to distribuite sausage in a all male monastery to learn magic, nor learn army of darkness as a sheep of innos. Xardas can teach you. Saturas too. The act 3 quest about freeing a innocent blacksmith never shows the real culprit in base game. Returning added a optional quest to investigate teh real assassin. Jharkendar? On the main story, you visit only once. On returning, you visit on chapter 2, on chapter 4 and has a huge open area to understand more about the ancients.

The mod is GREAT. Even if he has a lot of fanfic on it. Being a necromancer or a water magician is more than enough reason to play it.

Murk

Arcane
S0rcererV1ct0r since you've played returning a few times, I wanted to ask you before I made a decision on my 2nd character.

Can you join the hunters if you do not sign up with Bosper? Their benefits are way too many to pass up if this is a requirement, which effectively means signing up with Harad or Constanino is a waste (well, Constantino is usually a waste anyway).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can you join the hunters if you do not sign up with Bosper? Their benefits are way too many to pass up if this is a requirement, which effectively means signing up with Harad or Constanino is a waste (well, Constantino is usually a waste anyway).

I believe that is possible but never sided with Bosper. Unlimited money from the blacksmith is very tempting...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Again I ask. How to install AB? I really miss Hubaxis. I am playing normal returning, continuing a very old save and made a quick montage on ch 4/5. Necromancy is pretty good on returning, but I really wanna try the AB and have no clue about how to install AB. I already finished vanilla, an finishing returning and now wanna play returning + AB.

Aholf Ditler

Novice
Again I ask. How to install AB? I really miss Hubaxis. I am playing normal returning, continuing a very old save and made a quick montage on ch 4/5. Necromancy is pretty good on returning, but I really wanna try the AB and have no clue about how to install AB. I already finished vanilla, an finishing returning and now wanna play returning + AB.

Hey Guy, you only need to follow the small guide in german that i write in the first post, use google translate, what are you problem running the game?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hey Guy, you only need to follow the small guide in german that i write in the first post, use google translate, what are you problem running the game?

The problem is not returning. Is returning + AB.

The reason which why I wanna AB?

Simple. Water mages on normal returning has only awful circle 3 spells. AB fixes it giving ice explosion to water mages.

Aholf Ditler

Novice

The problem is not returning. Is returning + AB.

The reason which why I wanna AB?

Simple. Water mages on normal returning has only awful circle 3 spells. AB fixes it giving ice explosion to water mages.
But can you run Returning + AB?

deama

Prophet
But can you run Returning + AB?

Sadly no. the game just crashes. I can run normal returning fine BTW.
I followed this video for the installation:

There was an issue though that he didn't address in the video, I don't quite remember what the issue was, you had to I think install it in a slightly different way to how he portrays it. I remember one of the comments in the video saying they had the same problem as me and they fixed it by doing something...
Also, he covers an older version from 2020, there's a newer version out, but that video should work with the newer version?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks a lot for the guilde.

Honestly, in AB vs normal returning :

Pros from AB
  • Spell aiming
  • Better crafting and alchemy UI
  • Hubaxis
  • Ice Explosion spell for WM
  • More spells
Cons :

• You can learn circle 6 magic in ch 4
  • Raven's dream
  • Some mobs placement makes no sense.
  • Some spells has cooldowns
  • More hp inflation on enemies.

deama

Prophet
  • Raven's dream
What's that?
Sounds like some kind of hardcore game sequence similar ot Cave in Solyanka from STALKERs.
After you "beat" Raven he teleports away, then later you have to go to this whole desert area, do some really annoying puzzles where you have to walk around this massive open dessert several times (which applies a stamina drain). After all that you can confront Raven, but watch out! He'll suck you into his Raven dream place where it's pretty much a small area you have to traverse that's all in his head. This area is absolutely insane with how bloated the bosses are, and some of them have anti-cheese mechanics!
This is where I gave up, this area was just too ridiculous for me to continue.

Murk

Arcane
I agree that Raven's Dream is a shit show. The mod(s) already bloat things up a ton as it is and having an area you can't exit is just way too frustrating.

I liked parts of the desert/plateau but it was way too big and barren for its own good. There were random pieces here and there that were cool, and I liked the giant pyramid (and the interior of it) but the constant back and forth was annoying (and the teleporters would cause my game to crash semi-frequently).

It's a shame they couldn't dial back their urge to stack numbers so much cuz some of the stuff is really cool, and great for someone who has played the game a billion times.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any link to download AB files(not the normal returning)?

The video which you guys posted sadly links to megaupload and it doesn't allow me to download due the large file size limit. I need to buy premium to download AB. I tried to find AB files in worldofgothic and nothing. I am playing with the 2020 version of AB cuz I can't find a way to play with the newer version.

deama

Prophet
Any link to download AB files(not the normal returning)?

The video which you guys posted sadly links to megaupload and it doesn't allow me to download due the large file size limit. I need to buy premium to download AB. I tried to find AB files in worldofgothic and nothing. I am playing with the 2020 version of AB cuz I can't find a way to play with the newer version.

There's a button at the bottom that says continue download and it'll download it.
Try if that works.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
For big files on MEGA I've got MegaDownloader. When you reached your limit you can resume downloading later.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About returning content, is GothChild(AB/NB) and Sinitar(Normal returning) the unique English speaking youtubers with good content about it?

Da_Ocsta

Barely Literate
I tried it out a few months ago and the godawful translation was just too much for me to bear. I also disliked some of the fundamental changes they made to the game mechanics (combat animations, etc.).

If the translation gets fixed I'd be tempted to try again, but otherwise -- pass.
If you ever want to try the game again might I suggest my English patch?
https://www.nexusmods.com/gothic2/mods/37?tab=posts

Its really a great improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom