Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Review Extravaganza: Risen

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Mar 20, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen

A couple of Risen reviews surfaced, although they refer to the console version.
    <br>
    <br>
    Game Critics keep a critical eye, <a href="http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/risen-review">which translates to 8/10.</a>
    <br>
    <br>
    <p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">I could go on, but over the course of this review I've already described a litany of qualities that should win over players who appreciate mature RPG experiences with quality commensurate to the amount of time spent in them. However, there's no getting around the fact that first impressions will likely turn a lot of potential adventurers off. Clearly, another few months polishing rough edges would have been a worthy investment. That said, I'm not the kind of player who's blinded by low polygon counts and low-res textures. It didn't take long for me to appreciate the true value of Risen, and I have a feeling that those (like me) more concerned with options, abilities, and events instead of how shiny something looks will likely agree.
    <br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <br>
    He's not turned off by shit graphics. A fact that allowed them to get right to the true values of Risen.
    <br>
    <br>
    <a href="http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/122000-risen-a-half-baked-rpg-experience/">PopMatters doesn't like it, 4/10.</a>
    <br>
    <br>
    <p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Tiresome sums up a lot of my feelings about Risen. There’s some genuine, classic RPG fun to be had here, and once you commit the time and energy to get your character going, the Pavlovian need to grind for XP and gold kicks in. But with its clunky combat, endless wandering back and forth, and dull storytelling, I don’t think that it’s worth the time or effort.
    <br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <br>
    Not worth the effort.
    <br>
    <br>
    And finally <a href="http://xbox360.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r36172.htm">GameZone scores it 7/10.</a>
    <br>
    <br>
    <p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Risen was a pretty good looking game on the PC, but the aesthetic quality was greatly diminished in the porting to the Xbox 360. The textures are pretty muddy, and the character models are lacking. The whole game has taken a real polish hit in the transition, including the framerate, which gets pretty laggy especially in towns.
    <br>
    <br>
    The game’s sound effects fare much better than the graphics. The music sounds great and adds an excellent ambiance to the game, and the voice acting is spot on.
    <br>
    <br>
    Risen is a solid game brought down by a shoddy port to consoles. While there’s still a lot of fun to be had with the deep missions that foster exploration, the game’s technical presentation is subpar and there are some gameplay issues as a result of the move to the Xbox 360.
    <br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <br>
    So the bottomline seems to be that the console port doesn't quite live up to the PC version. Couldn't care less.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97255-risen-reviews.html">The Gate to the Codex</A>

^ Top  
  2. TzapaSuckere Novice

TzapaSuckere
    I am so sick of all this shitholes talking shit about Risen. 4/10? 7/10? Then go play piece of crap DaO and give him 9/10.
    It is quite hard to play it whitout markers on the map, Whoa?

^ Top  
  3. I.C. Wiener Educated

I.C. Wiener
    I liked Risen, and I would say that 7/10 is accurate, and andyhing above 8/10 would probably be overrating it. The game was pretty generic and not spectacularly well done or creative in any department, but kept me entertained enough to beat it.

^ Top  
  4. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I thought this breed of reviewers went extinct 10 years ago. I'm impressed :incline:

Unfortunately the morons are still around. So this guy is telling us that grinding for XP and gold is one of the good things about Risen? Yeah I'm sure I trust his opinion on RPGs.

Then buy it and play it on a PC, the primary development platform, and be done with it.

^ Top  
  5. Felix Arcane

Felix
    They're always overrate "next-gen" games anyway, some more for Risen isn't hurt.

^ Top  
  6. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Markers on map wouldn't reduce wandering back and forth (Thoguh I didn't notice this problem myself)

^ Top  
  7. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Are there no teleporter stones in the 360 version? As soon as you hit chapter 2, which can be done as soon as you pick a faction, you get access to the teleporter stones which take you to the 3 main areas - and shortly thereafter you start finding teleporter stones to each of the ruins.

I don't know what running back and forth he means otherwise... unless he meant in town.

^ Top  
  8. bhlaab Arbiter

bhlaab
    But he's reviewing the Xbox version

^ Top  
  9. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Clunky combat?

I remember circling around an enemy for 5 minutes to avoid being killed by a single blow. Also running from two lizardmen and getting one stray wolf behind was cruel. Melee combat was something Risen did properly.

^ Top  
  10. Paula Tormeson IV Scholar

Paula Tormeson IV
    He still writes like a faggot (which admittedly is difficult to avoid in polite English).

I wish everyone could read Finnish reviews: not just old Pelit reviews, but virtually everything I encounter these days is superbly written sarcastic poetry that's impossible to translate into English. Lots of word-play so confident you wonder if Joyce mightn't have had something to learn from the Finnish game reviewers. (Their time-lines didn't harmonize...)

^ Top  
  11. Felix Arcane

Felix
    The controls are easy and smooth enough unless you're retarded.
    No, moron.

^ Top  
  12. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    A combat system that allows you to strafe around an enemy for five minutes isn't quite done right.

^ Top  
  13. ksjav Scholar

ksjav
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
    ^ Top  
  14. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Stats-affected action gameplay always sucks but Risen would be the better example because unlike in certain other games the character actually swings the weapon when you click the button.

^ Top  
  15. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    Looks good, timing based system have bet gameplay, would be better if the mobs would try to attack you from diferent angles forcing you to control position, and where they are.

I hate press zxxlmbzx combos, learning to do combos fast is one of the most tedious thing in games.

^ Top  
  16. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    Youa re dumb

^ Top  
  17. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  18. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Risen is quite good for what it is..ehm...a worthy Gothic 1/2 successor.
    Unfortunately, it comes with the same flaw as gothics. Insanely shit last part. I think it's even worse than idiotic last chapter of G2.
    Combat is good. Not the best but not the utter shit that came with "Gothic" 3.

It's worth playing. I must say this was the first game I played on my new machine and graphics are really pretty. I never had the privilege of playing Gothic/2 on maximum settings, now I did.

^ Top  
  19. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Risen is actually the first PB game where they've managed to make controls and combat comfortable (and get rid of the majority of bugs before the release)
    And yeah it looks gorgeous, just like all PB games.

^ Top  
  20. hoochimama Liturgist

hoochimama
    Weren't gothic1&2 also intended for consoles?

I think Risen's combat system could certainly use some more layers of polish but it was much easier to jump into than the gothics' . A lock-on mechanic for melee combat is probably the way to go to eventually achieve good melee combat.

^ Top  
  21. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Yea, Gothic was originally intended as a console game but they suddenly decided to release it as a PC exclusive.

^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  23. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    What is good about lock-on mechanism? I rather aim myself. Meele combat should be about crowd control, and timings, precise aiming like in mount&blade is fine addition to it.

^ Top  
  24. Gobbo Novice

Gobbo
    The power attacks ruined the combat of Risen.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.