Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Revisiting Crysis 1

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Crysis is one of the those games that seems to live in peoples imagination a lot differently to how it was in reality. Its also one of those games people never stop saying stupid shit about, like that it was so graphically awesome that it still melts GPUs today, or that it still looks better than everything since. The former statement being just fucking plain stupid (I ran this bitch maxxed out on a laptop, so just shut the fuck up with this nonsense) and the latter being a half-truth we will get into later.

So I acquired a GOG copy and set about putting the GPU melter theory to the test by maxxing out everything, because of course. And indeed, during the opening sequence and introductory gameplay I noticed it was quite.... slow. But my system wasn't chugging. And then it occurred to me that the problem was the refresh rate. Cue 15 minutes on google, to find out that for some dumb teutonic autism reason or another, crysis has a problem where the refresh rate in true fullscreen is locked and the only way to get around this is to run it in some form of windowed mode, and further that the only actual way to do this is to do it manually once you're loaded in. I dont know why, and I dont care. Pressing alt + enter 4 times gets you to a fullscreen window. Voila, buttery smooth ~100fps, and no GPU melting going on in any, way shape or form, even during intensive scenes. Actually the only slowdowns that occurred seemed to be from problems with the game itself loading things in during heavily scripted sequences.

Anyway, the first thing that I noticed is, this game has definitely aged in a way people pretend it hasn't. There are some really, really ugly fucking low res textures. Crytek was obviously judicious in marshalling their resources, as the assets that are important like people, weapons, vehicles etc are all high detail, but things players aren't going to spend a lot of time looking at like rocks and wooden fences are disgusting. Ditto with the poly count on models. It is however, yes a very nice looking game, largely due to crytek's very clean asset work and good lighting. Surprisingly, on the visual front, crysis doesn't blow its wad early; the best imagespaces in the game come later on and are incredibly atmospheric, actually arrestingly so and I'm a guy who is completely jaded with videogame graphics. It occurred to me that one thing crysis does well is in not doing things that are industry standard these days, e.g not going overboard with post processing or having obnoxious saturation.

Gameplay wise, crysis surprised me. Its a fucking good FPS. It was unabashed fun in a way I haven't had with a FPS since HL1. The game can be played as a conventional run, jump, shoot FPS or as a milfag LARParino with stealth and carpal tunnel syndrome abuse of the lean keys. In other words, it doesn't particularly punish any given approach, despite ostensibly having the trappings of a tactical shooter. The suit gimmick is a bit lackluster, the only two modes of interest are invisibility and speed. Strength falls by the wayside simply for not having many (any) interesting implementation. You really only ever end up using strength mode just to make tall jumps. It would've been fun for example, if you could do stuff like pick up vehicles and throw them at chinks or burst through walls like the koolaid man. But overall, the game chucks fun set pieces at you that can be approached in different ways, although I will say, just like crytek's previous games (far cry) the illusion of freedom is larger than the reality, another thing that people's imaginations like to remember quite differently.

If i had to criticize something, it would be that this is a very easy game. I played on the highest difficulty from the get go, and aside from the absolutely retarded final boss fight, in which you will be killed by stupid shit over and over, there was not ever a situation in this game that was particularly challenging. I can't imagine playing it on normal would be anything but a power fantasy. My gut feeling is the AI is gated in a way so as to not have to suffer endless amount of bitching from players (which still exists anyway) because the AI at time has some impressive routines that other games just simply do not care to develop, such as pincer maneuvers and cover seeking behavior. However, they also have the standard AI neutering where they do very little of the meaningful things that would actually frustrate players, such as throwing grenades (i think i counted them doing this maybe 5 times throughout the entire game) or rushing the player aggressively. The addition of vehicular and static weapon enemies (there are boats, cars, helicopters and tanks) couldve posed an interesting challenge but they are given the standard FPS neutering to make them have poor visual/engagement ranges, slow reaction times and generally just letting the player off easy.

Overall, a good game, if a little short on the chink smashing.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Game mostly runs like a dog these days because it requires a few tweaks to play nice with modern hardware. Still, I agree it’s a good time, especially compared to the bland FPS’s we get now.

The sequels aren’t great comparatively but I much prefer their use of powers - they’re more contextual and you can do things like high jumps or powered punches without switching out from whatever suit mode you’re currently in.

deama

Prophet
You gonna do a review of the other crysis games like warhead, crysis 2/3?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I replayed it a year ago and had largely the same opinion. I had sour memories of the alien segments but enjoyed them this time around, perhaps due to those areas running far better with my new machine. I think it's quite admirable just how much a fucking unexpected change in direction the alien ship segment is.

The thing about Crysis 1 and Half-Life 1 both is that while they are "cinematic" fps games they rarely take control away from the player, almost all the set-piece moments unfold through real gameplay (not interactive cutscenes like in hl2 which is cheating is even worse than a skippable cutscene) and you are free to keep running around shooting stuff, which is why they are worlds apart and still enjoyable compared to the majority of modern shooters.

I am replaying Warhead now and I'm still amazed by how good it manages to look.

A8E087DB50A6024C60324468C03B372D3F24EFE2

DA4DFF435F6E953BA48E1227A4489BCDE55D72CC

75DB9598B7672C9FD926AD0F2AD40FFAA3CF1513

To be fair this is not just highest in game settings, as I've gone into config files and increased values of a bunch of variables significantly above in game max setting value, especially vars that relate to draw distance. Also I'm using a fix that allows Anisotropic Filtering to work without disabling Parrallax Occlusion Mapping and on top of that I've enhanced in game MSAA with nvidia's Sparse Grid Supersampling, which especially does wonders for vegetation. But still pretty impressive.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I replayed it a year ago and had largely the same opinion. I had sour memories of the alien segments but enjoyed them this time around, perhaps due to those areas running far better with my new machine. I think it's quite admirable just how much a fucking unexpected change in direction the alien ship segment is.

Its funny you mention that, when the alien segments arrived i was thinking exactly of HL1 and Xen. Similarly, the alien bits got bad reception on release, but the truth is they are a welcome change of pace and tactics. Like HL1 fighting the marines through various hallways and security rooms, yes blowing up chinks is the better gameplay, but if it had been nothing but that, it wouldve worn out its welcome quickly. One thing i appreciated about the alien ship segment was it really was alien in design. The aliens on the ship were a little lame to fight, it would've ramped up the tension a lot if they were actually deadly (again, interesting AI behavior such as tactically retreating and trying to ambush from unobserved angles..... neutered by low damage, low accuracy and lack of aggression).

JDR13

Arcane
To be fair this is not just highest in game settings, as I've gone into config files and increased values of a bunch of variables significantly above in game max setting value, especially vars that relate to draw distance. Also I'm using a fix that allows Anisotropic Filtering to work without disabling Parrallax Occlusion Mapping and on top of that I've enhanced in game MSAA with nvidia's Sparse Grid Supersampling, which especially does wonders for vegetation. But still pretty impressive.

I've never heard that using AF disables Parrallax Occlusion Mapping. I've always had it forced and never noticed anything.

Can you post what variables you changed to increase draw distance?

I've never heard that using AF disables Parrallax Occlusion Mapping. I've always had it forced and never noticed anything.

AF doesn't disable POM when you force it, it simply doesn't work with it enabled. I used to manually disable POM in shaders cvar just to get AF to work because I'd rather have less detail on ground textures than have them blurry. Glad I eventually found a fix for it. It's linked to on Crysis pcgamingwiki page.

Can you post what variables you changed to increase draw distance?

Here's the top section of my "sys_spec_ObjectDetail.cfg":

= 4

e_obj_quality=4
e_proc_vegetation=1
ca_useDecals=1
e_decals_allow_game_decals=1
e_decals_life_time_scale=2
e_lod_ratio=24
e_lod_min=0
e_lods=0
e_view_dist_ratio_detail=60
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=90
e_vegetation_min_size=0
i_rejecteffects=1
e_vegetation_bending=2
sys_flash_curve_tess_error=2
e_view_dist_ratio=70
e_max_view_dst_spec_lerp=1
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_custom_ratio_min=1
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio=3
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=10240
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z=640
es_DebrisLifetimeScale=1
e_cbuffer_resolution=256
e_dissolve=1
ca_DrawFaceAttachments=1
ca_AttachmentCullingRation=200
ca_FacialAnimationRadius=10
e_terrain_occlusion_culling_max_dist=200

Not all lines here are changed, I just couldn't be arsed picking them out separately. "e_lods=0" had a very significant impact on pop-in, if I left it on 1 I would have some objects change their detail few meters away from me no matter how high I set "e_lod_ratio".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom