Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Prime Junta, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    I don't think a bug which is only applicable when using a hack really qualifies as a bug.

^ Top  
  2. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    I'd call it the hack's bug, not the game's.

Or, if it's a dev console command, I'd call it a "player messed shit up". Sometimes it baffles me why dev console commands weren't included as player options, and there can be plenty of good reasons to use it, but "this command breaks the game, so we won't put it in the graphics options" means it is decisively "not a bug". Might be bad design or incompetent coding, if it's something that should be an option, but definitely "not a bug".

Because I'm pretty goddamn certain that at SOME time or another, every Vtm:B fan, upon discovering the console command that adjusts NPC breast size, regardless of that player's gender or sexual preferences, has (cackling with glee in the case of my gf at the time) decided to see how high they can turn that modifer up before the game crashes (was disappointed though - apparently breasts aren't included in the combat hit-boxes or physics engine; was hoping for Deux Ex style physics catastrophes resulting from NPCs being no longer able to fit through doors/staircases).

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    :lol: show me the money !

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    Hey Wesp5, this just happened in my tremere playthrough using your 9.9 patch (basic). The cutscene blocks when Simon should exit the appartment and go to to the hospital basement. Apparently this happens, if you dont lockpick/open the flat door.

Apparently Simon is unable to exit the door and the game just hangs waiting for it to open. I am not sure it is the same issue you were talking about but, unlocking the door before talking to Simon in the closet fixed the issue.

Otherwise it is a new bug.

But I guess it should be easily fixable? Like just "script" a "unlock-door-smh-smh" after you trigger the convo or something like that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ^ Top  
  5. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    Played it for the first time, thought I was already familiar with the PnP sources (I don't want to look badass but the game is really easy, by the end I had 70+ exp points unused...just waiting for when I would hit a wall and would need to up the right skills).

Can't understand how a "spiritual succesor" wasn't kickstarted somewhere in the that crazy age that was 2011-2013 where ANYTHING could magicaly be funded.

Also all the ppl bitching about the sewers.... the Sabbat Hotel was 10 times worse. All the vamps/shovelheads having the same model didn't help either. worst part of the game!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ^ Top  
  6. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    This is already done in the script where he exits the flat. It's a random bug that sometimes gets him stuck!

In that case you should play with the plus patch next time, there you can skip it if you know the trick ;)...

• incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    Oh well, I thought that it wasn't "random" since unlocking the condo door before talking with Simon fixed the problem.

Anyway since you happen to read the topic I will list some other bugs I found during the gameplay and that noone already mentioned (it took a few days but I read the whole thread):

1 - the elevator in the Asylum getting stuck on the 2nd floor out of Therese/Jeanette office/flat (sadly I had to reload a old savegame :().
    2 - the door letting you out of the Tremere chantry suddendly locking up (showing the lock symbol) and not letting you out anymore. Going in and talking with Strauss and going back to it seems to have fixed it.
    3 - the same door not loading the Downtown map and just freezing the game. Closing and reopening the game fixed it.

Maybe I will play your plus mod soon or later... I guess it's prejudiced on my side but I usualy always skip fanmade content, especialy if it relates to story and stuff.

This said, thanks for your work and dedication.

^ Top  
  8. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    Even though I hate wesp for deliberately putting bugs into the game for attention seeking purposes, I can't help but feel pity for him for getting these pathetic "bug reports" with absolutely no repro steps.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    Lol, there's no way to write how to reproduce the bugs I mentioned. Though I can send him my savegames if he should need.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    It doesn't matter, as these are the usual random bugs that we will never be able to fix. Proof: they fixed themselves on reloading a save or restarting the game! Most of these I never encountered myself and the current theory is that playing long sessions in one go will increase the probability of them appearing as if there is a memory hole or something. The most infamous example is the Skyeline Haven bug in which the whole map will be cluttered with wrong models once you play more than 3 or 4 hours in one go! As for attention seeking by placing bugs, I think its quite simply the combination of a very complex and buggy game and my own incompetence as non-programmer with no source code or anything. I would be so happy if I could finally finish this patch! I have other projects that need my attention, like the Bloodlines Prelude mod.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    So other than WESP's mod, what mods are compatible and worth having for this game?

I thinking mostly on graphical upgrades - high res mods, overhauls etc. any of you use that sort of thing?

Or do you just roll with wesp patch and nothing else?

I want to replay dis game so bad.

^ Top  
  12. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    Yeah pretty random stuff. Though the Asylum elevator PERSISTED even if I reloaded the game. I had to reload from a point BEFORE and redo some stuff. Would you be interested in that savegame?

^ Top  
  13. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Pretty much none of the major mods are compatible with each other, however, many mods are built on top of a base mod such as Wesp's patch, Companion mod or Camarilla Edition.

Ultmately though, the choices are pretty simple:
    1) official patches or Wesp base patch if you want the original game experience
    2) Clan Quest mod if you want an enhanced game experience
    3) Final Nights mod if you want to play one of the Independent clans instead of a Camarilla clan vampire
    4) Antitribu mod if you want to play one of the Sabbat clans instead of a Camarilla clan vampire

^ Top  
  14. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    I am extremely skeptical of all these content mods. But would love to be proven wrong. Persuade me otherwise, please.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Companion mod is wonderful. How are you a vampire if you can't Embrace? Plus you get some much needed disciplne rebalancing.

^ Top  
  16. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Sure but that Clan Quest mod seems a stretch. To say nothing of the other ones.

^ Top  
  17. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    And if I want WESP + only graphical upgrades?

^ Top  
  18. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Companion mod is dumb. It's a excellent feat of programming in adverse conditions but it's severely disruptive of the average quality of the narration. Reused monosyllabic dialogs lines in extreme situations might be even more out of place in this game than silence and a funny face.

Besides, they get in the way.

I like *parts* of the clan quest mod (some quests, some changes and additions, the bloodtimer copied from camarilla edition) but it also has plenty of mood disruptive stuff in dialogs and animations. For one, the lines of the silent protagonist on its quests feel much 'extreme' (slurs, much clan chauvinism, etc) than the neutral only mostly self interested narration of the original quests. Basically, did a bad job of calibrating humanity to dialogs and even discounting that, went too far down the edge creek. For another the animations are ... mostly terrible, but that's the fault of the sdk, or the absence thereof. Reusing some canon characters without a always available voice actor is a mistake too. Original characters can at least always be changed utterly, finding another prince is hard.

I actually made a small linux mod that allows companion mod all quests + the college mod (basically a cheat but whatever) from camarilla edition in the game. Only works in linux because i got lazy and used quilt lmao.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    Not really, because if it works once it should always work. Normally you need to reload from a save outside the map to fix any issues inside as these are stored in the save.

^ Top  
  20. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    Then I suggest to install the Extras that come with the UP which include some shader suites like SweetFX and ENB Mod to improve the looks of the game.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos

^ Top  
  22. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    And I say fuck sweetfx and ENB and just force Anisotropic Filtering + highest AA you can from your GPU. If you have Nvidia card, get Nvidia Inspector and force 16xS AA (2x2 SSAA + 4xMSAA) + Transparency Supersampling. Don't know what Radeons can do, probably not much but you should be able to get at least 8xMSAA.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Old One Arcane

Old One
    I had satisfactory results with ReShade actually. I used my GPU for AA and filtering like you suggest, but I used ReShade to make the shadows darker and to make a few other small changes. That was months ago, so I don't remember the details.

^ Top  
  24. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Thanks for the tips, tho, those settings doesn't really do anything to bump up the lighting effects and HDR and such. I like the ENB/sweetfx settings they can provide. But I'll try your suggestion out.

^ Top  
  25. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    I tried SweetFX but tbqh, I barely could see any difference.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.