Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Riddick - Dark Athena

fastpunk

Arbiter
Anyone looking forward to this? It's coming out on April 7th and the thing looks pretty good overall. It's got the Escape from Butcher Bay campaign, as well as a new one, plus multiplayer.

Sadly, the PC didn't get a demo, but I think the 360 got one. So, does anyone have any demo impressions to share?

MetalCraze

Arcane
First Riddick was pretty good, at least it wasn't all about mindless shooting (and it had Ron Perlman in it). But this game looks like it will be what Hitman 3 was to Hitman 1 - an attempt to suck more money with the exactly same game + a bit of new content.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
The first one actually had real stealth gameplay, and in that alone it was twice the gameplay of a real "Action/RPG" like Mass Effect. Not only that, the story is better then most generic sci fi, and thats about as good as you can expect from games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Instead of re-releasing the same game with some added content, they should have just made a new Riddick game.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
They kind of did with a new campaign and stuff. I'm kind of unsure about the multiplayer though, usually that shit stinks.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
^ It is basically a standalone new game that also has a remake of the first one on the same disc.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And somehow I don't think that a game-time of the new content will be anything but ridiculously short because they are too lazy and spent most of the dev time to add bloom to old levels.

themadhatter

Novice
No impressions, sadly, but a few reviews have already been posted (if you place any value in their content).
A 9.5 from GameInformer, citing the two-games-for-the-price-of-one feature, solid voice-acting from Vin Diesel, revamped graphics and the multiplayer add-on, in addition to some relatively decent replayability...
http://gameinformer.com/Games/Review/20 ... .06726.htm
...and a 7.5 from GameZone, detailing their adoration of the updated original, but marking the product down due to the actual "Dark Athena" content, which they believe to be both generic and a removal from the originals conceptual basis:
http://ps3.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r32624.htm

For my part, I am still anticipating the game and will likely be picking up a copy on release day.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I am still not even sure if I should get Butchers Bay. Usually I am not into this kind of fps but this one is very popular at stygianabyss.com, so it might be worthwile. I liked Thief and SS2 for the stealth/rpg elements, but did not enjoy too much the action.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Go get it, GlobalExplorer; it is the best game of its kind.

Made, you gigantic faggot with a name that means maggot in German, do indulge us what's so bad about Butcher Bay - no doubt the best movie-based game to ever have graced our wonderful planet.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Jasede said:
Go get it, GlobalExplorer; it is the best game of its kind.

Made, you gigantic faggot with a name that means maggot in German, do indulge us what's so bad about Butcher Bay - no doubt the best movie-based game to ever have graced our wonderful planet.
Yeah, but awfully short.
The new content added probably will take less than two hours to be completed on the first play.

MetalCraze

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
I am still not even sure if I should get Butchers Bay. Usually I am not into this kind of fps but this one is very popular at stygianabyss.com, so it might be worthwile. I liked Thief and SS2 for the stealth/rpg elements, but did not enjoy too much the action.

Butcher's Bay is a more straight FPS of course. However it is pretty good. It is an action sci-fi b-movie game done right - in a good way of course. Riddick is a Die Hard type, dropping one-liners, acting all cool and while in a typical shooter you shoot-shoot-shoot - in this game there are many times when it basically has Riddick interacting with other people without running around shooting anyone - and all of it is done in such way that it is better than the CoR mediocre movie - and at the same time makes for a pretty movie-like experience. The setting of a jail on the other planet from which you must escape was also a good design choice.
I personally liked it more than HL2 that came out that year and slightly more than Tribes Vengeance. It is also a multiplatform game - and somehow it was very PC-like and there was only one bad moment (dungeons with respawning zombies - but it is a pretty short though annoying part of the game).

Burning Bridges

skyway said:
in this game there are many times when it basically has Riddick interacting with other people without running around shooting anyone

This is the part that would interest me, but in the demo there was only action .. how much of the game does the story mode constitute, percent wise?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Weeeeeeell, that would be about 25%? There are only two 'story' areas as far as I recall, but they are rather large and with a lot to do.

Burning Bridges

Hm 25% .. this will be a tough decision. I'd prefer it the other way round, i.e. 25% action.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Story sections weren't all that interesting in Butcher Bay imo and only lasted for about 20-30 minutes: one's in the very beginning, another prison cell section later on, and one part where you disguise yourself as a guard which lasts for a whole 5 minute. Then you have the stealth segments which are fun. Then there's the action FPS segments which are a mixed bag: some are fun but others are just plain annoying like those parts where you're running around in a dark maze with a dying flashlight with enemies respawning right on top of you every five seconds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom