Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Riddick - Dark Athena

Thrasher

Erudite
Don't forget the catching of moths mini-game. ;)

Notwithstanding, I enjoyed the original immensely (especially for the stealth and the melee attack combo elements).

Sadly, Dark Athena also got a very lackluster review in US PCGamer.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
where you're running around in a dark maze with a dying flashlight with enemies respawning right on top of you every five seconds.
Yep that dungeon with zombies.

Anyway as I've said it is a shooter alright, however with "relaxing" parts. As a shooter it is also pretty OK, I don't remember shooting parts being too long - then again - the game is pretty short so even 25% is an ok number.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
There was another maze area with some kind of respawning bug things, I think. The other heavy action parts are fun though there aren't a whole lot of enemy and weapon variety. till damned fun and AI does a good job.

My favorite part though was about mid-way through where all you have is a tazer and you need to rely on stealth. Very well done level.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I also like the characters.
Both Perlman and Diesel did a good job playing typical badasses and it fit well. The ending also was stylish.

Durwyn

Prophet
First one was great. A bit tedious after getting the paralyzing gun or whatever it was called, but still fun. And i luv those stencil shadows.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I don't think Diesel did a good voice over from what I palyed of the games. It's him like doing whispers and shit and there is no change in his voice.

MetalCraze

Arcane
POOPERSCOOPER said:
I don't think Diesel did a good voice over from what I palyed of the games. It's him like doing whispers and shit and there is no change in his voice.

That's actually your typical Diesel all right.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought Butcher's Bay was ok but by the 3rd time Riddick had escaped, murdered a million guards and then been recaptured and thrown even deeper into the complex, I couldn't help thinking why someone just didn't put a cap in his skull at some stage particularly given the complete disregard the guards had previously demonstrated for non-Riddick prisoner life.

Thrasher

Erudite
Oh, so you require suspension of believe in mindless FPS tripe?

made

Arcane
Jasede said:
lolz

Can't really remember why I didn't like it, it was a thoroughly unremarkable and forgettable experience. Total lack of a compelling story that would have at least encouraged me to put up with the boring gameplay. Maybe I'd have enjoyed it more if I was the kind of guy to jerk off to Vin Diesel movies; I will never know.

The Wizard

Educated
Satori said:
Looking forward to this since Butcher Bay kept on blue screening for me.
you need to disable eax or some other sound option.

if the game will be as cheap as the first one(30€ on release) i might buy it.

Murk

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Riddick Enhanced Edition

Never played the first, though, so I'll probably pick this up

Yeah, same. I had heard good things about Butcher's Bay and more for the same isn't bad.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Escape from Butcher Bay was pretty solid. The Dark Athena demo wasn't bad. You control a few drones and kill a bunch of dudes on a dark ship. Voice acting was pretty decent. I think I heard Lance Henriksen in one of the scenes.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
skyway said:
Yes, GameInformer
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/F ... pid=210528
Note how nowhere does it say that Hitman Contracts is basically a remake of Hitman 1 with some content added (or removed)
A bit offtopic, but i'm playing H:C right now and it's far from being a remake of H1. Yes, there is Budapest hotel and all the triads affair spanning over 3 missions. That makes it only 4 redux missions out of 12, not to mention they have been considerably changed, adding new approaches and changing some aspects of the levels.

Meh, who am i talking to. Your opinions don't count.

A user named cat

Speaking of Vin's acting, anyone here see Find Me Guilty?

Showed the dude's got some acting chops when given something other than a generic tough guy to play. I think if someone finally gave him a starring role in some big drama he'd really blow people away.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Sounds like the remake of the first game is just higher res + some new effects. Confirm/deny?

Nicolai said:
Sounds like the remake of the first game is just higher res + some new effects. Confirm/deny?
Yes, they just wanted to get a bigger audience before they pushed on with the series so it's pretty much identical.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I was gonna get it today but decided on Saints Row 2 instead. I am thinking this will hit the bargain bin soon, for $20 or so it will be worth it.

Thrasher

Erudite
It's more than just a remake - the game content/length is doubled from what I have read, with the new Dark Athena second half.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah except from what I've read - the second half is two times shorter than Butcher's Bay "campaign" which makes it 3 hours long.
Damn - some developers release new textures and a 3 hours long questline as a FREE patch.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've been hearing the Dark Athena part sucks though. I'm going to rent the game tomorrow though, will post some impressions eventually.

Thrasher

Erudite
I'd definitely play the developer's cut of the original if you haven't already. I'm skipping this Dark Athena bullshit, though... Seems like a ripoff.

Cabazone

Educated
Fat Dragon said:
I've been hearing the Dark Athena part sucks though. I'm going to rent the game tomorrow though, will post some impressions eventually.

You're hearing that from Mainstream media. Mainstream media are complete dumbfuck for RPG, why do you think it will be otherwise in fps ?

And a 3/4 awesome hours is worthwhile, if the price is right (with internet, the price is always right). See portal : already legendary.

So for me, this game is still in the "wait and see" state.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom