Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Riddles in RPGs

soggie

Educated
Rageing Atheist said:
soggie said:
How about hangman style?

Low Int: Y_ _ _ _ C _

High Int: YO_ S _ C K

That would be too easy, I think higher intelligence should maybe give somekind of a subtle hint, but not make the riddle pointless.

"Subtle" is subjective in this case.

It is impossible to "balance" for the player's intelligence, and in an RPG you're supposed to role play your character, not the other way around. This is the reason why I don't think complicated riddles have a place in RPGs at all, unless there's a way to figure it out or the game takes into account your character's INT score completely. A compromise would be nigh impossible to create in this situation.

Black

Arcane
Ever since I made this thread I couldn't sleep, it kept me up at nights, all night, every night, but I finally came up with the answer.
A retard 1 INT character solving complex riddles and completing difficult puzzles in rpgs is no different than knowing the answer to a question even before the question happens. At worst it's violation of the sacred 'character vs player' divide. At best it's just metagaming.
Someone who can't tie their own shoelaces wouldn't be able to complete such a task and therefore should not be able to even if guided by some supernatural power from above, looking at him at about 30 degree angle.
Thank you all, I consider this matter solved.

Praise be RPG Playing Games.

Codex Year of the Donut
At worst it's violation of the sacred 'character vs player' divide.
There is no divide, they're two halves of a whole.
Your conclusion is correct tho. Being unintelligent should simply make the character completely unable to solve the riddle. The opposite side of this isn't that the character should automatically be able to solve the riddle, but that the player is allowed to solve the riddle.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
But what if he knows the answer to that riddle from his parents?

mondblut

Arcane
The opposite side of this isn't that the character should automatically be able to solve the riddle

Nope. He should.

Better yet, get rid of this riddle shit altogether.
you failed the irl intelligence check

2815683-1.jpg

If you lift your game design ideas for an RPG from here, you should find another job. Simple as.

Riddles are fine as long as they're sensible and don't require me to guess what's in the developer's pocket. The only ones I despise are math problems. "If a group of knights have four retainers, two male and two female and the male retainers eat three times as much as the female retainers who eat half as much as..."

No, I will not run and get a paper and pencil to solve for x. Fuck that shit, as a kid I had enough homework as it stood. Straight to GameFAQs.

Viata

Arcane
I have reversed my position on riddles, every game should be filled with riddles as an idiot filter.
Only works if the riddles are math theorems that requires the player to prove it. Even if they look for it in textbooks, the proof will be "left as an exercise for the reader", making it an ever better idiot filter.

Codex Year of the Donut
I have reversed my position on riddles, every game should be filled with riddles as an idiot filter.
Only works if the riddles are math theorems that requires the player to prove it. Even if they look for it in textbooks, the proof will be "left as an exercise for the reader", making it an ever better idiot filter.
Just need some basic logic riddles to keep both combatfags and storyfags out.

Viata

Arcane
They will just google the answer.

mondblut

Arcane

Puzzlefags already got a genre designed explicitly for them. GTFO.

Codex Year of the Donut
They will just google the answer.
monitor all network traffic and delete the game if it detects google being used during puzzles

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just give retarded characters a helper npc of some sort. You can make a story or mechanics to justify it if you want, but the helper npc will solve all the big brain things.

It works for anime, why not for smart guy arr pee gees. The helper npc companion can also randomly call you a retard or offer to adjust the straps on your bicycle helmet.

Once you level your INT enough, the helper goes away.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
There isn't a single true answer to this, but if INT has anything to do with the internal gameplay system then it's something to think about when you design puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom