Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Doktor Best

Arcane
Been having plenty of fun with Quake3 mod on Quest2 made by Dr Beef who also released Quake 1+2, RTCW, Half Life and Doom3 on Sidequest.

There was also an announcement of upcoming VR mod support for Resident Evil 7 and 8 with full motion control, due to release next week made by Praydog. I tried to play Resi3 in VR but it was clunky as hell, though people say you're supposed to play the first part in pancake as there is too much cutscene fuckery going on for a good VR experience. Resi2 should be very playable from start to finish as well as Resi7 and 8.

There is also a full fledged Half Life 2 VR mod coming up.

So yeah... modders keeping VR alive right now it seems.

Perkel

Arcane
I finished HL1 on Quest2 with all expansions. It is great port.

Also half life 2 has native VR mode. You need to run game with -vr tag and beta in version choice i think. I know because i played it. No motion controls though only head movement and you normally control everything with mouse and keyboard.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah but i am talking about a full fledged vr mod with motion controls.

Apologies for posting a clickbait youtube letsplay but there somehow is no news about this in english with sufficient information.

Venser

Erudite

In today's State of Play they will show more of Horizon: Call of the Mountain as well as several other PSVR2 games

Venser

Erudite

There's only so many cartoony mobile games I can digest. Very sad showcase. Can't wait for PSVR2.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
VR Steam Fest from Today to July 25th: https://store.steampowered.com/vr/
They lied to me, they said there was gonna be a free category.
There's the "Free Demo" Category, not that much there tho: https://store.steampowered.com/vr/?tab=12
That's not free Demo, as it makes no sense to have a free Demo for a free released game.
I specifically asked them if I should have a Demo eventhough my game is free and released, and they said it makes no sense to have a Demo.

Perkel

Arcane
I bought myself official Elite strap with battery for Quest 2 and i must say that it is gamechanger. I bought it mainly for extended batterylife but after few hours main benefit seems to be comfort. Added counterweight of battery at the back of your head makes headset weight center at the top of the head instead of at the front like with my previous strap. It is so fucking nice to use now.

If you have non battery solid strap consider adding weight to back of it. The counterweight it game changer.

I can now sit for hours in VR and my front face doesn't look like i just crawled through some pipe for half a day.

Venser

Erudite
I bought myself official Elite strap with battery for Quest 2 and i must say that it is gamechanger.
You should've done some research before buying. The official strap has a flawed design that snaps in half. Even some engineer made an analysis pointing out why it breaks and why is it inevitable: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/lcpg6x/explained_quest_2_elite_straps_elite_battery/

You can get a better 3rd party straps that are better and cheaper and some of them use elite design.

Perkel

Arcane
I bought myself official Elite strap with battery for Quest 2 and i must say that it is gamechanger.
You should've done some research before buying. The official strap has a flawed design that snaps in half. Even some engineer made an analysis pointing out why it breaks and why is it inevitable: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/lcpg6x/explained_quest_2_elite_straps_elite_battery/

You can get a better 3rd party straps that are better and cheaper and some of them use elite design.

I knew about problem. It is not 100% sure it happen, there are plenty of people who never had issues with it. And i got strap from latest batch not 2 years old one.

Secondly i bought it officially from store and where i live i have 2 years of warranty. If this thing snaps i will just go to store to replace it for me. After 3 times i will just get my cash back instead and reinvest it into Quest 3.

I researched other battery straps but they are all weirdly designed. Either bulky, halo strap i don't like or look like shit. Elite strap from oculus looks good, it is super ergonomic and comes with additional benefit of showing extra battery pack charge right in headset where all other don't have this.

The biggest minus is the price. 100$ for a battery strap is expensive but with how ergonomic it is and how perfectly balanced it is on my head imho it is well worth the price. Also it is not like it is permament buy. I can always sell it for 90% of price later on.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the playstation vr2 will be my entry to VR. I just hope it will launch with some backwards capability

cruel

Cipher
For anyone interested - Meta will increase the price of Quest 2 from $299 to $399, starting August 1. So probably good time to buy.

I pulled the trigger and bought it. Any day 1 titles / apps / games I should be looking at?

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Poseidon00

Arcane
For anyone interested - Meta will increase the price of Quest 2 from $299 to $399, starting August 1. So probably good time to buy.

I pulled the trigger and bought it. Any day 1 titles / apps / games I should be looking at?

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Wait, it's going up? I wish I would have known, like, three days ago. I honestly might have considered getting a spare "just in case". Way the economy is going over here, who knows when I could afford that sort of thing again.

Facebook has realised that nobody wants to use their shitty corporate metaverse, so people are just buying the headsets and hooking them up to SteamVR, bypassing the oculus garbage entirely.

Therefore, it no longer makes sense to sell their headsets at a loss, hence the price increase.

This is a very positive sign that the metaverse has not been the success that they wanted, and hopefully Oculus will collapse soon.

This is actually positive news for VR, because Oculus is a virtual monopoly, and have largely cornered the market by buying out VR projects, effectively creating an "exclusives" market. That is always bad and I am glad to see it being undermined.

Not to mention the whole Facebook-account requirement thing.

Seriously, Oculus cannot collapse quickly enough.

Mortmal

Arcane
There's lone echo 1 and 2 , asgard wrath to get on the oculus store still. That alone made it worth it those are high budget games. Else yes , it's a fantastic wireless headset for steamvr. Never used the metaverse stuff besides the tutorial apps.

Not to mention the whole Facebook-account requirement thing.

They dropped it recently. I wouldn't buy it otherwise:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022...ening-for-metastasis-with-new-account-system/
I use a Quest 2 on a daily basis for work, and they still heavily encourage use of a Facebook account. All the internal discussion within Meta are around how to get people locked in to their platform and using Facebook.

As far as I can tell, the new account system isn't out yet. But when it does come out, don't expect to use it for anything major. All the backend systems rely on Facebook APIs.

Not to mention the headset still relies on the shitty Oculus desktop software, which is a) only available for Windows and b) is itself spyware.

I am aware of the github project to bypass it entirely, but it's a flaky mess at the moment. All Meta has to do is update their API every so often and the project will never be able to provide a genuine Oculus experience on desktop.

ADL

Prophet
Facebook parent Meta lost $2.81 billion on $452 million in revenue from its virtual reality division, Reality Labs, during the quarter ending in June as it forecast a second consecutive quarter of declining revenue on Wednesday.

The substantial sum is the latest sign that CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Meta continues to spend heavily to pivot the social media giant to developing virtual reality and augmented reality products and the so-called “metaverse.”

It’s a substantial but affordable expense to a company that earned $8.36 billion in operating income on $28.82 billion in total sales during the quarter.

Zuckerberg and other Meta leaders believe that virtual and augmented reality headsets will be the major next-generation computing platform and are willing to spend heavily on technologies that might be years out and prototypes that aren’t ready to be released, as well as a substantial staff of technical experts, in order to compete with Apple, Google, Microsoft, and other companies eying the industry.

Meta’s Quest 2 headset is currently the most popular VR headset on the market, although the overall market remains small. Meta said earlier this week it will raise the price from $299 to $399.

Meta plans to release more advanced goggles later this year that will use cameras on the front of the device to “pass through” the real world to the user inside the headset.

Meta has also spent to acquire VR companies and startups that develop core headset technologies. But the FTC sued them on Wednesday to block it from buying the maker of the popular VR app Supernatural, suggesting that any future acquisitions would face significant regulatory scrutiny.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/27/meta-reality-labs-lost-2point8-billion-in-q2-2022.html

When their metaverse dreams inevitably fail, I hope Valve and Sony pick up the studios that they foolishly let go to Facebook. The next iterations of games like Beat Saber and Onward will not only Meta exclusive but proprietary to an ARM device where emulation may or may not be possible. Is Valve doing anything to subsidize VR development anymore? It's been a long time since I heard anything about this and so far it ain't working out too well. Assuming anyone received it in the first place.
https://www.vg247.com/valve-offers-vr-developers-funding-to-avoid-platform-exclusive-deals

I like this headline

Are any developers actually receiving Valve’s “pre-paid Steam revenue” VR funding?​

https://www.pcgamesn.com/valve-vr-funding

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom