Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

When their metaverse dreams inevitably fail, I hope Valve and Sony pick up the studios that they foolishly let go to Facebook. The next iterations of games like Beat Saber and Onward will not only Meta exclusive but proprietary to an ARM device where emulation may or may not be possible. Is Valve doing anything to subsidize VR development anymore? It's been a long time since I heard anything about this and so far it ain't working out too well. Assuming anyone received it in the first place.
https://www.vg247.com/valve-offers-vr-developers-funding-to-avoid-platform-exclusive-deals

I like this headline

Are any developers actually receiving Valve’s “pre-paid Steam revenue” VR funding?​

https://www.pcgamesn.com/valve-vr-funding

Valve has given up on VR. Not in any tangible sense, they still believe in it, but they are so easily distracted by other projects and have so many internal issues and infighting amongst their staff, that they can't be relied upon to deliver anything. They have hardly delivered any games in the last decade, and most of them have been shit.

As much as I absolutely despise Microsoft for the scummy, garbage company that they are, I am very sad that they pulled out of VR, since they basically left Meta with complete unchecked dominance. There used to be a lot of cheap, good quality VR headsets. Now there's only one.

Dexter

Arcane

These released in July:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701560/RUINSMAGUS/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1692250/F1_22/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1683340/Kayak_VR_Mirage/

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1550156608713510914
Splinter-Cell-VRCancelled.jpg

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
It is 3 weeks since i got for Quest 2 Elite strap with battery.

- easily the best confortable headset out there
- 5 hours of wireless VR is game changer. original 2-2,5 hours was just not enough. With virtual desktop with reasonable settings you are looking at 7-8 hours. I work in VR so easily the best upgrade ever.

It is a bit expensive and you can get other cheaper ones but at least for me this is easily 10/10 accesorry. Imho it is mendatory.

Poseidon00

Arcane
It is 3 weeks since i got for Quest 2 Elite strap with battery.

- easily the best confortable headset out there
- 5 hours of wireless VR is game changer. original 2-2,5 hours was just not enough. With virtual desktop with reasonable settings you are looking at 7-8 hours. I work in VR so easily the best upgrade ever.

It is a bit expensive and you can get other cheaper ones but at least for me this is easily 10/10 accesorry. Imho it is mendatory.

The issue with the strap for me is that a much better one shipped with the original Quest. The Quest 2 is better in every way, but a single little strap in the back is a downgrade and they actually have the audacity to make you pay extra to get a similar experience rather than shipping it with the system.

Perkel

Arcane
The issue with the strap for me is that a much better one shipped with the original Quest. The Quest 2 is better in every way, but a single little strap in the back is a downgrade and they actually have the audacity to make you pay extra to get a similar experience rather than shipping it with the system.

Original strap isn't that bad honestly compared to other headsets which should show you how much other VR headsets suck rather than how strap sucks.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I don't even play FPS at all but my friend got a VR set just for Onward and i've been messing around in multiplayer every once in awhile and i'm having a good fucking time.

The A.I is really solid, so they will try to bait you out of defensive positions, flank you, they will avoid coming towards you if you manage to kill enough of them from the same area without moving, they will wait around areas of interest or places you need to get to, etc. Combine that with players who can work well as a team or can use their tools well, drones and flashbangs etc., and you have a nice layer of strategy to go with the gameplay. It is everything a controller-based FPS can't be.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Onward is cool. Still prefer Pavlov though. Sadly the game is currently losing much of its playerbase due to slow updates and Contractors taking over.

I ordered the HP Reverb G2 revised yesterday since it was pretty cheap on Amazon Warehouse deals, will report my experiences with it when i have the time.

Also finished Resident Evil 4 VR yesterday. It was a fun ride but i never played Res4 before and it just felt like a game i have already played a dozen times before due to it's template being copied so much. Must really have been a revelation back in the day for all the popamole kids. That fucking dialogue was the campiest shit i have ever witnessed in my life. The VR implementation obviously wasn't on par with games like Saints and Sinners but it was servicable and i still think flatscreen shooters being transported into VR are worthwhile to play still for the added immersion and more natural gunplay.

Speaking of which, Half Life 2 VR mod with full motion control will get released on Sept. 16 on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/658920/HalfLife_2_VR_Mod/

Early first impressions give it high praise throughout the bank. Pretty excited for this one. Even more excited about the developer's next project, a full motion control VR mod for the Dark Mod, which would give us near endless VR Thief content.

Oh and since nobody mentioned it, Red Matter 2 released a few weeks ago. Part one was a first person puzzle game on a mars station and pretty decent (4-5 hour campaign) Part two has some combat and stealth elements and about double the playtime. Currently the game sits at 90% positive reviews on Steam. Oh and it also supposedly pulls some black magic optimization on Quest2 standalone to make it the best looking game on that platform by far.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Quest cambria spotted in the wild. Looks like it will be called Quest Pro instead of sidename. Looks like it confirms all rumors

Meta Connect is October 11th where Meta is supposed to announce it and available in stores the same day. They are now probably producing 100s of thousands of those as we speak to be ready for launch. Looks that it confirms previous rumor:

- quest2 os and software
- pancakes lenses (super thin and light) lenses
- 2160x2160 rather than quest 1920 x 1832 (16% increase in pixel density)
- same FOV as quest2
- 1 screen per eye instead of combined like in quest2
- super thin front shroud due to above
- lack of ring on controlers, instead tracing is done by camera on controler
- mini led display with HDR
- eye and face tracking
- battery or processing at the back of head.
- front facing cameras for pass through
- rumored price is about 800$ to 1000$

Mortmal

Arcane
Great hardware.. Now if only they had invested into killer apps on the quest 2 already instead. We will go so far with tiny indie games team. I dont see a reason to spend 800$ to 1000$ on a new headset to play the exact same things.

Doktor Best

Arcane
wifi 6e could be a decent visual boost for wireless pcvr. Lighter weight, better balance, better contrast and edge to edge clarity is a nice bonus.

I dont know what to think of the new controllers. They are now self tracking so no more dead zone issues while shooting bow and arrow (really the only thing you cant 100% reliably do with inside out tracking) but i doubt they will have the same battery time as the Quest2 controllers which are just convenient and work and you never have to worry about them.

The lack of a display port connection is a major bummer. For 1000+$ i would expect one to be honest.

Lets see what Meta has up their sleeves on oct.11

Mortmal

Arcane
Wifi 5 is 6933Mbps , wifi 6e 9608mbps in theory max . The quest 2 transfer at like 200mbps,has to painfully decode what your pc has to painfully encode.. Wifi is not the issue, i doubt it will cause a visual boost unless it use a radicaly diferent way of transfer with the pc.I dont see any mention of them improving air link for this model, so likely no.
Soon you get apple launching a wireless headset it could end up much better hardware and again as there's no exclusives quest pro will fail to that.

Venser

Erudite
This looks interesting but I don't wanna be killed by a giant uncircumcised penis.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Wifi 5 is 6933Mbps , wifi 6e 9608mbps in theory max . The quest 2 transfer at like 200mbps,has to painfully decode what your pc has to painfully encode.. Wifi is not the issue, i doubt it will cause a visual boost unless it use a radicaly diferent way of transfer with the pc.I dont see any mention of them improving air link for this model, so likely no.
Soon you get apple launching a wireless headset it could end up much better hardware and again as there's no exclusives quest pro will fail to that.

Yeah but doesn't Wifi6E have better response times? The chip is also running on a higher clock so that could improve decoding. There is a kickstarter developer who claims to have created a compressionless wifi module for the index based on Wifi6E so i was assuming the Quest pro could also be better in this regard.

Tomorrow we will see what Bytedance has to offer with the Pico 4. I heard rumors though that it won't have a display port connection so there's that. I also don't think the Apple headset will be interesting at all for gamers.

Last edited:

Arbaces

Novice
The Pico 4 official announcement dropped today. Nothing surprising if you've been following the news: it's a chinese quest 2 with pancake lenses. The single RGB camera can't be that accurate for stereo color passthrough, but it'll probably blow the minds of everyone used to blurry black and white from tracking cameras. Nothing about an American release yet.

Perkel

Arcane
429$ So competitive with Quest2 399$ current price tag.
With Virtual Desktop it should be great alternative to Quest2.

Venser

Erudite
The Pico 4 official announcement dropped today. Nothing surprising if you've been following the news: it's a chinese quest 2 with pancake lenses. The single RGB camera can't be that accurate for stereo color passthrough, but it'll probably blow the minds of everyone used to blurry black and white from tracking cameras. Nothing about an American release yet.

Pico 3 had display port unlike Quest 2 that uses Link cable with compression. That was the main thing Pico had over Quest. But now they got rid of the display port and the headphones jack on the Pico 4. Big ooof. The pancake lenses, color passthrough and elite-like strap design with large battery will force Meta to step up their game.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
I don't really give much of a shit about what Facebook does anymore, since it's beyond obvious they just want to drag the entire VR market into the Walled Garden Mobile Shovelware abyss.

But this is an interesting development, a Universal Injector Mod compatible with all Unreal 4 games:

https://mixed-news.com/en/hundreds-of-aaa-games-in-vr-universal-vr-mod-makes-progress/
https://beastsaber.notion.site/beas...-For-VR-Mods-23a1d65ae3ed432ab313bb8e0529030d

Also this is out for a week to near-universal acclaim:

Apparently they're still working on an Update that will bring high-res Textures and improved lighting:
media%2FFc97BwGWAAAgKtX.jpg

media%2FFc97BwGWYAENCmp.jpg

media%2FFc97BwGX0AMYe6H.jpg

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Also faggots like this guy are part of the reason why we can't have nice things:

On difference to something like VorpX:

Perkel

Arcane
3 sharpest display headsets comparison through the lenses.

I think i have to change my you need 4000x4000 per eye for proper end game. I think something like 3200x3200 will be absolutely fine considering how sharp image is in Varyo VR3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom