Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Venser

Erudite
AR looking pretty good on Quest Pro. Is Zuck still wearing those Adidas sandals that were in the movie Social Network?

Venser

Erudite
Bradley just leaked the Quest 3 CAD files just like he did with the upcoming Quest Pro.

- pancake lenses
- 2x color pass through cameras for mixed reality
- battery in the front (as opposed to at the back of the strap like Quest Pro)
- no eye tracking
- powered by XR2 Gen 2

Perkel

Arcane
This doesn't really make any sense.

- 3D model size wise looks almost exactly like Quest 2. Pancake lenses were supposed to reduce size. So what is the point if it doesn't do what it does. They can't put bigger battery because it would increase weight of headset by huge amount, especially since they still apparently will use headstrap.

- Pancake lenses are waaaay more expensive that some shitty camera to track your eyes in high FPS. That is pretty much red flag because it doesn't make any sense to get expensive pancake lenses before eye tracing camera.

- XR2 Gen2 in this leak is only about 30% faster even if we assume efficiency improvement this doesn't really make any sense because XR2 was released in 2019. Quest 3 is headed for Q42023 which means 4 years since 2019. By the time Quest 3 will be releasing XR2 will be ancient tech. 30% improvement is nothing when it comes 4 years of improvements.

- Quest 3 is probably still in design phase. they should be ending it by early next year with production ramping around summer for fall release with proper stock.

Venser

Erudite
- XR2 Gen2 in this leak is only about 30% faster even if we assume efficiency improvement this doesn't really make any sense because XR2 was released in 2019. Quest 3 is headed for Q42023 which means 4 years since 2019. By the time Quest 3 will be releasing XR2 will be ancient tech. 30% improvement is nothing when it comes 4 years of improvements.

The current XR2 in Quest 2 is heavily undervolted and underclocked to keep the thermals down. The CPU is literally working only up to 50%. They need to find a way to improve the cooling.

Perkel

Arcane
The current XR2 in Quest 2 is heavily undervolted and underclocked to keep the thermals down. The CPU is literally working only up to 50%. They need to find a way to improve the cooling.

No cpu works at 50%, gpu is far more important here and it works at 100% by that tweet

Venser

Erudite
The duality of man. I can't try it myself cause I'll be without the headset for the next week.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Tried it myself yesterday and will refund. It has the same issues like Boneworks. Janky physics and movement system, absolutely braindead AI and boring enemy design, hit and miss level and puzzle design, mediocre gunplay and shitty melee, bugs and bugs and bugs and overall just giving you the feeling of unfullfilled promises. A tech demo and not exactly a good one at that.

Oh and it runs like shit on Quest2 standalone btw. Also on Virtual Desktop. Airlink is okay.

A shame really. Will resume my Into the Radius playthrough (which is also janky but a VASTLY superior game)

Perkel

Arcane
just ignore shitty "VR" games and move toward full games with modded VR.

Monster Hunter Rise is awesome in VR.

Venser

Erudite
Ships on October 25
Price: $1499 / €1799

I'm very skeptical about Iron Man VR. The graphics looked pretty meh on PS4 Pro and it still suffered from frame drops. I wonder how much downgraded it's going to be on Quest. They didn't show any gameplay despite of the game being just around the corner, launching on November 3rd. Must be a deliberate decision. On the other hand the tracking suffered on the PSVR but it's gonna be a non-issue on Quest.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite

I like how they start with the disclaimer:
"The following are personal views and do not necessarily represent those of Meta or other companies."
Because Carmack always gives honest opinion and doesn't shy away from to criticizing products he or the company he works for makes.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah looks like they designed it primarily for work to compete with other headsets from that segment like Varjo and others. They spin here is that this is not just headset but also software integraton as one package.

The price is complete killer.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Well I dont care. The Quest2 will do just fine until a true new gen comes along.

The Quest3 chip is rumored to be 2.5/3 times as fast

Perkel

Arcane
Well I dont care. The Quest2 will do just fine until a true new gen comes along.

There are rumors already ? I've yest to hear anything. Any source ?

Venser

Erudite
header.jpg

BONELAB hit the $1 million mark in less than an hour, setting the record as the fastest-selling app in Quest history
https://www.oculus.com/blog/vr-games-meta-connect-2022-marvel-iron-man/

There are rumors already ? I've yest to hear anything. Any source ?

https://uploadvr.com/quest-3-gpu-twice-powerful/

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I listened to Carmac speach about quest pro.
It makes sense now. I mean it made sense for business in first place but this further kind of focused what this product is.

It is essentially a devkit for Quest ecosystem.
If you think about it it makes a lot of sense. All developers have to use Quest to build their games but as we know games in developement often run like shit, crash and stuff. Quest also even with battery pack had 5h life and it was troublesome to play around with cables everywhere.

Now you have essentially work quest you put into docking station when you don't need to test game, 12gb of ram to put your unoptimized games ,various plugis and software stack improvements to speed up game creation and then bunch of new features that will probably come with next Quest 3 mass market device so now you have time to work with them and maybe deliver something on Quest 3 launch.

Perkel

Arcane
btw this is varjo i was talking about. 8000$ and on top of that there is subscription you pay.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Its like 1500$ per year lol. It clearly is meant as a business device and not regular consumers. The Quest Pro is a bargain against this (and arguably has a more interesting feature set for a work environment)

Perkel

Arcane
I've read impressions on Quest Pro lenses and displays:

- there is no "sweet spot" like in every non pancake lenses VR headset. displays are sharp edge to edge.
- bigger FOV around 10 degree bigger on Quest2 (105 vs 95)
- HDR actually works and it does make a difference

Perkel

Arcane
Ohh damn. I just noticed that PSVR2 will sport OLED. I thought they were like anyone else switching to LCD.

Fucking hell, easily it will be the best VR headset.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom