Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Venser

Erudite

This was a pretty cool VR commercial.

Venser

Erudite
Best selling PSVR1 digital games for the October 2022.

3rqxns3xnaz91.png

Venser

Erudite

And another super disappointing UploadVR showcase:

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
VR was cheap as fuck even back in 2016-2017 if you bought a Windows Mixed Reality HMD (controllers included inside out tracking) for $119 on sale.

Never got how anyone could say VR was prohibitly expensive with a straight face when it's been under $300 for the vast majority of VR's commercial availability. Even the Quest for $299 MSRP is a steal and with a gift card and games included it's nuts.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would have said it was expensive because I last looked a few years ago and the tech looked bad to me, the pixels too big, rez too low, doesn't fill your vision... etc. So I would only want whatever the best is which was about a $1000+ but a new graphics card would suck too. Graphics cards are so overpriced now, I think they are such a scam.

Mortmal

Arcane
VR was cheap as fuck even back in 2016-2017 if you bought a Windows Mixed Reality HMD (controllers included inside out tracking) for $119 on sale.

Never got how anyone could say VR was prohibitly expensive with a straight face when it's been under $300 for the vast majority of VR's commercial availability. Even the Quest for $299 MSRP is a steal and with a gift card and games included it's nuts.
Half life alyx was releeased in 2020 only , before that if it was too lackluster to even consider VR. That was the big title that made me consider getting into vr . Then the quest 2 ,say what you want about facebook but its cheap , easy to use by anyone, and of very good quality even standalone.

Perkel

Arcane
the problem with VR is that for some stupid fucking reason all the failed Wii crowd moved to VR with all its stupid "motions controls is the way"

The original dream of VR was just your normal games + VR. Instead they went onto this weird "VR is it's own thing aside from normal games and mobile games !"

Games like Monster Hunter World are PERFECT for VR as proven by VorpX much like many other games where 3D does "bring you into game". Ancient forest feels competely different when you can feel "depth" of it.

Same with Elite. I don't like much game but it's VR mode is ENHANCEMENT of normal game. Stuff previously that required additional input now just requires you to turn heard, tracking enemies becomes easier etc. Same with racing games. Ability to sense depth as well as ability to look around the corner is key ENHANCEMENT.

That's what it was supposed to be. ENHANCEMENT of normal games. Motion controlers by themselves aren't bad. They have their use much like wheel has. Just building whole ecosystem around it is just incredibly idiotic and in many ways it LIMITS games rather than ENHANCES THEM.

If not for VorpX and other VR mods i wouldn't even consider now VR. Alyx isn't enhancement of Half Life. It's limiting it.

Moreover the biggest issue of motion controls aka lack of feedback force directly gives you senses wrong input that takes you out of experience. Wagging your sword doesn't feel fun.

But you know what feels fun ? Playing Dragon's Dogma in VR and having same sword under actual physical button you can combo on normal pad which is precise unlike motion controls.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
ENCHANCEMENT
ENCHANCEMENT
ENCHANCEMENT
ENCHANCES

It was definitely pretty stupid early on to persist that VR games have to be entirely "separate experiences" instead of working together with various big developers to just make VR ports of big/popular games, especially given the popularity of some of said Official ports that exist now. Unfortunately now the biggest "VR marketplace" that exists peddles Mobile Shovelware tier shit that has no hope for longevity or hype about it.

Fargus

Arcane
Never thought i'd say it but Horizon game looks decent and you dont play as the hideous femoid this time. Which is good. If it ever gets to pc then i will check it out. Not gonna buy an entire new headset and a fucking ps5 just for it though lmao.

Mortmal

Arcane
Davevillz (Pavlov dev) says PSVR2 is about 10% more powerful than their pcvr setup (which sports a 3090ti) due to rendering optimizations and eyetracking

https://mobile.twitter.com/Flat2VR/status/1622617596376883203?t=iNzgw9s318Bc-Ts4Hjkqqw&s=19
Think we are going to witness a pc gaming crash soon then , 38% decrease of gpu shipment from year to year, the only AAA games are unoptimized console port so if you want to game i dont see why getting a gaming pc instead of a PS5 if its really better than a 3090 ti setup. For indie games most pc works, no reason to invest .

Venser

Erudite
The state of PCVR from a dev's perspective
Just wanted to chime in on the topic of the stagnating PCVR market and lack of games from a dev perspective.https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualrea...e_state_of_pcvr_no_growth_in_players_anymore/

We all know why AAA studios aren't investing in VR game dev, so pumping out PCVR games is still up to indie solo devs/studios with limited budget/manpower.But, truth be told, developing for PCVR has become unnecessarily tedious in the past few years:

• You have to support several different, often outdated and hard-to-get headsets and vastly different controllers (OG Vive, Rift S, Rift CV1, Quest 1-2, Index, Reverb G2, OG WMRs, Pimax, Vive Cosmos, that obscure headset nobody heard of etc.). If you miss any of those, expect angry negative reviews.
  • You have to make sure VD works flawlessly, otherwise expect angry negative reviews.
  • You have to optimize for an insane amount of hardware and make sure your stuff works on every possible combination of PC parts.
  • You have to deal with a much more toxic review culture and a "slightly" less welcoming community than on other platforms.
  • You also have to financially endure Steam's sale culture where most ppl don't even look at games unless it's on a 30%+ sale.
All of the above is 100% manageable, but when you go into leveraging the work required and profit in return and mix that with the general lack of OEM activity/support in the PCVR space, suddenly developing for Quest/Pico or PSVR(2) becomes a lot more appealing, hence why most devs are focusing on those platforms, with PCVR being an afterthought (if it is considered at all).Not to mention the peer pressure from an ever-starving PCVR community.

As u/DOOManiac put it under my original comment on the topic:

Imagine you’re a small one to three person, development studio, and for your PC game you have to test 10 different mice, and make software changes for edge cases on each one.Also, the mice cost $500-$1000 each.
----

All of the above creates such an unwelcoming and rough dev environment that it legit scares off aspiring, or even well-established developers from even thinking about releasing a game on Steam.I personally don't expect this to change anytime soon - AAAs will stay away for a few more years if not more, indies will continue making standalone games with a graphically enhanced PCVR version on the side while OG VR peeps have to make do with F2VR mods, racing/flying sims and VRChat.Gamedev is a business after all, and simply put the PCVR market is not profitable at its current state (unless you're part of that 1% who strikes gold with a game concept).

edit:
P.S: although this is my personal take, it aligns with our studio's experiences (we're the ones behind Zero Caliber, A-Tech Cybernetic and Gambit!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/11h2eeq/the_state_of_pcvr_from_a_devs_perspective/

Oropay

Educated
What a whiny ass little bitch. Here I am playing Oculus exclusives on a WMR headset without issue using community tools. Seems like his studio created a garbage engine or simply lacks technical prowess. He's whining about PCVR when just one of his studio's releases has 3,000+ reviews and is rated as Very Positive on Steam. Probably just mad that he had to do any work (lift a finger productively) to help earn hundreds of thousands of dollars for his studio by simply ensuring compatibility with existing hardware.

Not saying that games shouldn't have the Quest 2 as the primary target based on the install base and likely return of investment + profit, but once the game has mostly been built (assets, voice acting, etc), easy money to support PCVR as a whole. This is the same rationale behind Sony is bringing many of its exclusives to PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom