Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Riftrunner Peeked at for Fifth Consecutive Week at RPGVault

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Beyond Divinity; Larian Studios

<A HREF="http://rpgvault.ign.com" target="_blank">RPG Vault</a> have yet again <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/437/437790p1.html>put up an article</a> about the upcoming <a href=http://www.larian.com/riftrunner/>Riftrunner</a>. This one provides insight into Riftrunner's scripting system.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>/* When the hero enters the prison guard region, the game is requested to start a scene. The region is created in the game's editor, for example a room. Before starting the actual scene, we first need to let the game know we want to run a scene, so for example, the interface can be disabled. */
<br>
IF NpcEntersRegion(NPC_Hero,REGION_Prison_Guard)
<br>
THEN RequestScene(SCENE_Prison_Guard);
<br>
<br>
/* The SceneStarted() event is thrown by the game after RequestScene() has been called. It informs Osiris the game allows it to start a scene. After the scene has started, we initiate a camera movement towards the NPC in question. */
<br>
IF SceneStarted(SCENE_Prison_Guard)
<br>
THEN CameraToNpc(NPC_Prison_Guard,"Prison Guard");</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
So apparently, Belgians code in English. Oh, and look out for our Riftrunner dev chat <b>Tuesday at 8 PM in #rpgcodex on irc.gamesnet.net</b>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

EEVIAC

Erudite
I like the premise of Riftrunner, its kind of like an RPG "buddy movie."

In Riftrunner, you become soul-forged with a Death Knight. Your fate is to spend the rest of eternity bonded to this creature of evil, unless you can undo this curse. You and your unlikely companion embark on a great adventure to unlock the secret of riftrunning... your only answer to this life of darkness!

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
I hope they tone down on the combat a bit tho. What killed Div Div for me, and what finally caused me to quit playing, was the overabundance of combat. For everything I liked about the game there was just too much fighting, fighting, fighting. Which is a shame as the game did have a lot of neat stuff in it.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Spazmo said:
I bet the death knight is really sassy, too.

One of them has to be, its part of the straight man/funny man dynamic that the buddy movies work (or not) upon. Considering the amount of smart-arse dialogue options in DivDiv (such as offering to fetch Theyleron a healer after you've resurected him from the dead and he cries out in pain,) there's no reason why the death knight couldn't play it totally straight.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Strangely enough i also know English better than my main language. Worse than that is that i feel more comfortable talking and writing in English than in my main language. So its not a Belgian programmer specific thing :wink:

Araanor

Liturgist
I prefer programming in English. It feels... more proper. :) Fits better since the words of the languages are in English.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom