Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Riftrunner roundabout at GameAtomic

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Beyond Divinity; Larian Studios

<a href="http://www.gamatomic.com/">GameAtomic</a> has gotten some <A href="http://www.larian.com">Larian</a> people to <A href="http://www.gamatomic.com/ga/articles.aspx/reports?tx_id=339&tx_ips=10&tx_ipp=15&tx_ipr=3&tx_ppp=5&tx_pg=1&tf_tyid=5">answer some questions</a> about <a href="http://www.larian.com/riftrunner/">Riftrunner</a>. Here's a bit on the random stuff:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Riftrunner include a random quest generator. Will this system offer deep quests, that means no simple "go and bring me back this item" or "kill that NPC" ?</b>
<br>
<br>
There are special areas in the game, which we call the Battlefields. They are accessed through special portals that can take on many forms. Once you are through those portals, you will find yourself in areas which are totally generated and where all quests are random. You will usually visit the Battlefields to boost your character, gain an item or learn a new and rare skill. The Battlefields add a lot to the replay value of the game and the nice thing is that with relatively little developer effort, we can offer players a lot of content. There are different levels of difficulty in the Battlefields so players will always find something for them to do there. We'll be talking a lot more about the Battlefields in the next couple of months so be sure to check out our site from time to time.
<br>
<br>
The Battlefield technology is 100% random when it comes to the maps and already pretty random when it comes to the stories it generates. We?re still working on that so I can?t give you a definite answer, but the goal is to have it as random as possible. It really is pretty good - we are actually using the Battlefield generator as a productivity tool to create content.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
That last line is rather interesting, don't you think? A game with random areas where the static areas were also created randomly, but they're still static.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.shacknews.com">ShackNews</a>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
That last line is rather interesting, don't you think? A game with random areas where the static areas were also created randomly, but they're still static.

Can't blame them for wanting to test out the generator. And what a better way to do it than randomly make some levels and see if you can work them into the game? If they can get away with that AND make it work nicely in the game, it shows just how nice that generator is. Maybe they'll include it in an editor tool package or something. That would be nice.

EEVIAC

Erudite
So the random scenarios the computer was generating are interesting enough to be included as actual game content? This would mean that either the "Battlefield" technology they've developed is really good - or the developers have just run out of ideas for content. I'm willing to give Larian the benefit of the doubt though.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
So will I. I just recently managed to get a copy of Divine Divinity and I am loving every moment of it. Even the D2 style combat is tolerable compared to all the other luscious content to this game. I think I've managed to rack up about thirty quests so far, and maybe one or two of them were fed-ex quests. And even those had some other stuff tossed into the mix for extra variety.

The graphics are wonderful as well. I think the only problem I really have with the game in that department is the fact that when you snuff out a candle or torch, there is no noticeable difference in lighting. But that's a minor annoyance and I got over it pretty quick.

The music and sound effects are wonderfully done, especially the music. Wow. And the ambient sounds are quite nice too. But the music is the shit. Definitely time to rip it and make a soundtrack CD. :P

I had played the demo quite awhile back and was intrigued, but got washed up in other games and quickly forgot about it. Then I was in Best Buy the other day and saw ONE copy all by it's little lonesome in some forgotten corner of shelving. Snagged it up immediately and have not regretted it one bit. This game reaks of love so far and I only hope it gets better as I get further in. The ability to be a complete bastard is nice too. Will definitely be giving this game a couple of more rounds once done with my current one.

The only real thing I've found myself wishing the game had was the ability to do some of the quests in multiple ways. But, at least every quest I've gotten so far has been different from each other and none of them have been boring. Well, maybe the deliver the love letter quest is about as plain as you can get, but I'm a sucker for romance. ;)

So, as I said, I will give Larian the benefit of the doubt on this one since I love what I've seen of their work. :)

EEVIAC

Erudite
Divinity was definately the sleeper of the year for me. I haven't played a game that has made me laugh, not just chuckle, but guffaw right from the pit of my belly, in a long time. And I generally like morose, serious games. (The ending to Fallout still stands as one of my favourite moments in any form of entertainment, be it film, literature, whatever.) There's a chatlog on the site here that's worth reading through if you want to know more about the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom