Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RIP video game blogger Shamus Young

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Goddamn: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=54513

The Late Shamus Young

It is with shock and dismay that I find it my duty to report to you all the death of our mutual friend Shamus Young, this morning at 3am, of cardiac arrest.

Shamus called an ambulance at 6pm yesterday night for odd chest and stomach pain, and was transported with his wife Heather, who was with him throughout the ordeal. The doctors ran a suite of tests, which were all negative until a heart enzyme test came back elevated. The decision to admit him was made due to the high heart enzyme levels, but his Blood Pressure and O2 remained normal. He continued to experience unusual cramping and weakness, so the doctors ruled out stroke and anything kidney related. Heather was working with his nephrologist to check everything. He was in the process of being admitted when suddenly he went into full cardiac arrest. The emergency staff worked on him for 20 minutes, but were never able to establish a heartbeat.

Although this may seem sudden, it is not entirely unexpected. Shamus already HATED dialysis and would be miserable with a transplant, so there was not much expectation of ongoing quality of life. He kept making comments about not being around. Not depressed, just not expecting to be with us much longer. If you lose the will to live there’s not much that can be done, and his body just kind of gave up.

Shamus is survived by his wife Heather, and their three children. If you would like to offer financial support, Heather’s account is @tinybookdragon on PayPal. While the long-term status of this site is unclear, the effort will be made to maintain it for the foreseeable future as was his stated wish.

Some details about his recent health issues here: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=54058

I've been following the TwentySided blog for over 15 years. Shamus was always a bit of a lightweight and a fuddy duddy, but he was a genial guy whose heart was in the right place. RIP.

orcinator

Liturgist
He let me know how bad those new Mass Effects were without making some annoying to watch video so out of respect (even if he was a ME1 defender) I'll post that take later.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Shamus was always a bit of a lightweight and a fuddy duddy, but he was a genial guy whose heart was in the right place.
Yeah. He mostly understood that old games were better, he just didn't dislike new games.

Zenithsan

Educated
Rest in peace.
If anyone wants to link any favorite articles from him, I'll be grateful.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Rest in peace.
His article on the Shalebridge Cradle level of Thief III: Deadly Shadows is worth reading: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=309

Shame that he didn't play to his strengths (humorous web-comics and light videogame analysis), instead descending into "Let's Play" commentary videos and discussion of the narrative of the Mass Effect series.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rest in peace.

This is how I discovered him. God rest your soul, Shamus. He seemed like a great guy.

I'm about 99% certain I've never seen this video, but I have seen a bunch of this space analysis before. Not sure if he posted it somewhere in a different form as well, or if someone copied someone.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I remember reading his webcomic DM of the Rings years ago. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

What a loss, just frequently I was reading his Prey articles but I stopped because I wanted to advanced in the game. I already knew about his health conditions, it just still comes as a shock when it happens. Rest in Peace.

Sad to hear. I've only been a sporadic reader, but I believe he's around the same age my brother (who passed away two years ago) would be. I can remember a time when 50 sounded ancient, now it's appallingly young.

Thoughts and prayers for his wife and kids.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Kalahira, mistress of inscrutable depths, I ask forgiveness.
Kalahira, whose waves wear down stone and sand.
Kalahira, wash the sins from this one and set him on the distant shore of the infinite spirit.
Kalahira, this one’s heart is pure but beset by wickedness and contention.
Guide this one to where the traveler never tires, the lover never leaves, the hungry never starve.
Guide this one, Kalahira, and he will be a companion to you as he was to me.

Acrux

Arcane
I was very sad earlier today when I heard this. I had just recently been reading a few of his older things I like (introduced a few friends to DM of the Rings who had never heard of it before, and his original tabletop campaign blog).

He'd gone in directions I didn't care for over the past few years, but I read his Mar Tesaro campaign when he first published it, and took a lot of inspiration from that in my own games. I'll always be grateful to him for that.

orcinator

Liturgist
Rest in peace.

I used to like things like DM of the Ring (links below) and his content about Mass Effect.

DM of the Ring treats the LOTR movies as a D&D campaign.

The index for DM of the Ring: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14

The first comic, you can just keep hitting next post until you get to the end: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
Oh shit, I never actually made the connection those were by the same guy as the Mass Effect stuff.

Gargaune

Magister
Sorry to hear it, I know of him mostly from his DM of the Rings webcomic, gave me many a laugh. Rest in peace.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom