Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RIP video game blogger Shamus Young

copebot

Learned
His LOTR comic was incredibly funny. I had kind of checked out of reading his blog lately because I realized that I was reading lots of his material on games that I both hadn't played and would never play. With him dying, I think there's actually no one left still writing substantively about games except for maybe Bret Devereaux.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
RIP. His work was entertaining and informative, I used his posts as a nice refresher on what was wrong with ThiAf and used this knowledge to troll the living shit out of Eidos forums.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
He should have started lifting weights. Inactivity, poor diet, and poor heart health go hand in hand.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
He should have started lifting weights. Inactivity, poor diet, and poor heart health go hand in hand.

He said he started exercising in the last 2 or 3 years of his life, but by that point the damage was done. And the exercising was probably too light and combined with healthy dieting.

Edit: I'm reading this GTA franchise analysis for the first time and while I don't agree with everything it's a cool series: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=43053

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Damn shame, i never expected to hear about this. His stuff was pretty good, especialy the Fallout/Bethesda video. Rest in peace.

Drax

Arcane
It's such a shame, not only did he write good content he was such a lighthearted guy, I listened to his podcast every week and it was always a fun 60 minutes.
I'm not a religious man so I can't offer prayers but I wish his family strength to overcome this loss.
Rest in peace, brother. :salute:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I've been reading the guy's blog on and off for about 10 years now. I'm pretty sure it was actually someone right here on the Codex who linked me to it. I heard about his health problems but it's always a punch to the gut when someone dies, even if you knew it might happen. Rest in peace, my man.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=54561
Shamus Memorial Service

The memorial service for Shamus will be held from 5 to 7 PM Eastern time, Thursday June 23, 2022 at the Spencer D. Geibel Funeral Home, 140 New Castle Rd, Butler, PA 16001. His obituary is also hosted on their website:
https://www.spencerdgeibel.com/obituary/Shamus-Young
Any locals are welcome to attend the memorial service in person. You do not need to RSVP.

The plan is to stream the memorial service to Shamus’ YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ShamusYoung
Twitch is a backup, so keep an eye open there too:
https://www.twitch.tv/shamusyoung

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
His LOTR comic was incredibly funny. I had kind of checked out of reading his blog lately because I realized that I was reading lots of his material on games that I both hadn't played and would never play. With him dying, I think there's actually no one left still writing substantively about games except for maybe Bret Devereaux.

It's also a fairly depressing reminder that we will all die before we get through even 1/8th of our Steam backlogs.

Although, on the more positive side, it's also a reminder that the shared meaning we create from playing games has more value than the games we play. In other words, if you aren't writing reviews, communicating, and participating in communities that spring from the games you are playing, you might as well just be dousing all those hours you spent on them in gasoline and setting them on fire, as all those moments are just going to be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
He wasn't really overweight, and no more sedentary than tons of overweight, yet otherwise healthy people, I know who are much older than him. Massive kidney failure just from high blood pressure before you ever even notice the symptoms of high blood pressure is pretty rare, to the point that I suspect he had some sort of genetic predisposition to it. The moral of the story is exercise, sure, but above all, check your fucking blood pressure regularly.

copebot

Learned
He wasn't really overweight, and no more sedentary than tons of overweight, yet otherwise healthy people, I know who are much older than him. Massive kidney failure just from high blood pressure before you ever even notice the symptoms of high blood pressure is pretty rare, to the point that I suspect he had some sort of genetic predisposition to it. The moral of the story is exercise, sure, but above all, check your fucking blood pressure regularly.
I would also say that "normal blood pressure" is unhealthy especially as you get older. All the "normal" assumptions are based on the idea that after around age 40 you are on death's door and require 20 prescription drugs and annual stents to avoid dropping dead on any given day.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It's also a fairly depressing reminder that we will all die before we get through even 1/8th of our Steam backlogs.
dc72248968bc5e04dfeea80630091c5f8208545007b9290135a158f4b13a439c_1.jpg

Mojobeard

Augur
God fucking damn. I saw the stream on my subscription page and wondered what in the world.
He produced good informative content that was only as bitter as it needed to be, thus being the good side of internet I wish everyone could be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom