Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RIP video game blogger Shamus Young

Semiurge

Cipher
A lot of people dying from heart problems lately. Bad coincidence I'm guessing although I wouldn't know.

How dare you shift the focus to Covid when a man is dead!!1 Literally shaking here

This is me practicing for covert ResetEra operations

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
That's very unfortunate and sad to hear, he's one of the people who I really enjoy seeing their content. I got hooked up on Cities: Skylines because of him and enjoyed it quite a lot. I hope his family overcome this.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I looked up the old Spoiler Warning crew and it looks like not one mention of Shamus from them. What colossal shitbags.

Not a surprise
What was their problem with him?
He refused to adopt a 'code of conduct' or ban commenters they didn't like.

While playing Life is Strange, a discussion took off over the morality of depicting a parent striking a teenage girl. One commenter specifically called the act 'justified' in the context of the game, which triggered the hell out of Mumbles. Mumbles also made overtly lewd comments about men (the men on the show never did such things), and frequently showed an enthusiasm for cannibalism, but hitting a girl is Not Okay you guys. (It also came out that the commenter was not a native english speaker, and probably should have used the word 'understandable' instead of justified, he just didn't have the best vocabulary. But none of that mattered.)

Mumbles had a freakout and pushed for nuking the comments, while the other losers on the show lined up behind her as white knights. Shamus agreed the commenter's opinion was wrong but refused to ban him, perhaps in an impressive display of loyalty or maybe stubborn conviction of his principles. In any case he didn't stream again for a long time and I think it took a toll on the blog. The other faggots didn't have their own following except for Chris, and proceeded to bash the hell out of Shamus and the fanbase off-site.

*edit* (Lol nope, my memory sucks, Mumbles actually left before this whole stupidity. It still feels like she had a hand in it somehow as the white knighting was always strong with the cucks.)

Last edited:

AndrewCC

Educated
Grampy_Bone
proceeded to bash the hell out of Shamus [..] off-site
Did they really? I thought they just avoided ever mentioning that Spoiler Warning had a "golden age" on another platform.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
He should have started lifting weights. Inactivity, poor diet, and poor heart health go hand in hand.
"Just lift, bro" really isn't good advice for people who die young. If you are dying young, there almost certainly was something wrong with you that you aren't at fault for. Even living a horrible live, it takes decades to bring a healthy body to ruin.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Grampy_Bone
proceeded to bash the hell out of Shamus [..] off-site
Did they really? I thought they just avoided ever mentioning that Spoiler Warning had a "golden age" on another platform.

Huh, after reading that drama thread I realized my memory compressed several different events into one narrative. Mumbles left before the Life is Strange meltdown. She was the one most aggressively attacking the site and commenters.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Reading this again its interesting to see the microcosm of internet 2.0: Codes of Conduct, "Safety and inclusion," and all the elements of the socjus/anti-racism zeitgeist coalescing in one place.

Every stupid cliche of millennial/zoomer wokesters is there:

-Rank authoritarianism coupled with gutless cowardice; they want to control the discussion but not take responsibility for it. It's always for the sake of unnamed "others" who must be included and made to feel "welcome" (by banning everything the speaker personally dislikes).

-Women as unilateral moral arbiters and sacred cows; beneath agency but above reproach. Note that this has shifted to blacks and trannies now, with women starting to rankle at the demotion in the hierarchy.

-Blame shifting, DARVO, etc. The discussion 'got heated' but Josh and Chris were the ones throwing the heat while their target calmly and reasonably made his point. At no point did they attempt to discuss or debate, rather they insisted that the act of disagreement itself was immoral and a must not be allowed. You see this EVERYWHERE now, it has completely displaced law, reason, logic, facts, evidence, or science.

Twenty Sided was just a stupid blog but this crap is everywhere, in your school, your work, every major game publisher.

Norfleet

Man, people these days just fall over dead left and right, it seems. Meanwhile during a period of relative quiet, I went and made sure I wouldn't be falling over dead like that by getting two redundant robot hearts installed. You people ought to get at least one, it's not healthy having only one of something you actually need.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
:necro:
(no not literally)

I happened to check out his blog and one of his children took over the website, and she's some kind of they/them freak with coloured hair and posting about oppression of videogames and shit.
Even the site looks gayer. Poor guy, that's his legacy now.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Even the site looks gayer. Poor guy, that's his legacy now.

It is his oldest kid, hence not undeserved.

Is it the time to mention I’m very gay? He never mentioned me much, mostly to protect me from the horrors of the internet. But, uh, I feel like if I’m going to be trying to be making content over here we should probably get that out of the way. So, hi Internet, I’m Shamus Young’s oldest child, Bay, a currently 24-year-old they/them bisexual with two happy life partners[6] .

That bit of info was interesting, though.
So… I’m kind of morbidly curious now. Does anything special happen at all, or does Steam just assume you stopped logging in and blissfully keep your data untouched?
Pretty much nothing happens. Steam just lets the account sit there, it’s pretty much up to the family who gets it. You can pass it on to someone as an inheritance, or just let it collect dust. I suppose you could also delete it, but that seems like burning money. We’ve turned it into a ‘family account’ since he owned nearly a thousand games. I do kind of wonder what would happen if it got listed in someone’s official will? But, likely it would just be the giving of passwords just like the unofficial version.

The internet has made death very strange since much of the things someone ‘had’ can be in a digital space. This site itself is pretty good evidence of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom