Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RIP video game blogger Shamus Young

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3gj90RoT_MUrnQSrfF23YA/videos :prosper:

Another weak nerd becomes a failure of a father.

Edit: it's worse than I thought https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=54740#more-54740

My name is Peter T. Parker. The T stands for Telemachus which I’ve pronounced wrong (Tel-ehm-ah-cuss) since I was a child. I don’t plan to stop now and that is, unfortunately, everyone else’s problem. I’ve been mentioned a few times here, but under a different name that doesn’t bear repeating. I’m the middle child, aka the youngest daughter turned oldest son.

What are the odds that two of your kids troon out?

Last edited:

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Edit: it's worse than I thought https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=54740#more-54740

My name is Peter T. Parker. The T stands for Telemachus which I’ve pronounced wrong (Tel-ehm-ah-cuss) since I was a child. I don’t plan to stop now and that is, unfortunately, everyone else’s problem. I’ve been mentioned a few times here, but under a different name that doesn’t bear repeating. I’m the middle child, aka the youngest daughter turned oldest son.

How common is it for troons to ditch their family name?

Turns out when they hand you the name change paperwork they don’t limit you to the first name. I could have added like six middle names if Bay hadn’t talked me out of it.
Bay(Myself, oldest child) They/Them, used to go by a different name, now does not.
Peter(Middle child) He/Him, used to go by a different name, now does not.
Issac(Youngest child) He/him, same name, unless you count we called him buddy until he was around four.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That's terrifying. He was religious and his kids were homeschooled. This shit is everywhere.
The internet delivers propaganda right into your home.

No one connected escapes the brainwashing, especially isolated kids that just want to find friends.

And IIRC, Shamus was always a big lefty borderline SJW.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just found this thread today. I can't feel sad for someone I never met nor ever heard of, nor can I feel anything at all for his terrible children. I tend to believe all "internet personalities" are eventually exposed to near-lethal levels of the internet itself which in turn causes personality extremes, broken homes, and mental disorders. The surface level description of this chap seems like a very likable fellow.

Just reading his entire Autobiography which begins here. Its fascinating as I remember the time - but it's like reading about something you know very well explained back to you by someone who wasn't there. He was there, but ADD didn't exist: ADD was something that any father or authority would happily beat out of you. The horrors of being young were there for everyone, but oddly, I don't know too many folks who dragged the pain into their late 40's. That's a modern contrivance. I really did enjoy reading about him effectively pulling himself (and his family) out of a very dark spot by finding religion. Fascinating that his father also found faith and at the same time, redeemed himself as well.

I'd suggest anyone wanting to know this guy read about him, his brother and his mother finding religion and an honest assessment of what it was like and the "friends" they lost. He may not have expressed it, but he was a hero in the classical sense.

copebot

Learned
I'm pretty confident from my experience with contemporary kids and young adults off of the internet is that a lot of the troon stuff has to do with the unhealthy and obese. People like "Lea" Thomas are the aberration and not the norm for troondom. It's generally more about how fat people try to put a positive spin on their condition than it really is about Judith Butler going mainstream.

The majority of troons, as opposed to internet-visible ones, are for the most part people who are really physically unhealthy. It seems like an identity for people who are unable or unwilling to be attractive. In the past they would just be ugly people. Now, they "come out" as trans, and most put in no real effort, don't get surgery, and especially if they are female, don't put in the kind of obsessive effort into becoming a facsimile of the other sex that the internet propaganda would lead you to believe about it. It's not uncommon for every fat girl in a college class to have pronouns even though they are just fat. Fatness is the overwhelming reality of modern American life that tends to not get that much attention because people don't like looking at pictures of fat people.

It's kind of like the university/corporate propaganda version of Hispanic diversity portraying most of them as Telenovela actors and actresses, but then the reality is some mixture of white people with Spanish last names, Sephardic Jews, and 4 foot tall mixed-race Oompa Loompas, with most of them being like the last item on the list. The average troon is also like that: just dumpy and unremarkable.

This also translates to mediocre intellects and creatives who use troondom to try to make up for a lack of talent: unable to stand out on normal terms, they continue to be mediocre, but color their hair or go on a short course of hormones and then pretend that it makes them more worthy of attention. Generally, it doesn't work, but for the people willing to pretend to this halfhearted identity, they might be able to check some diversity boxes for their employer.

Last edited:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I'm pretty confident from my experience with contemporary kids and young adults off of the internet is that a lot of the troon stuff has to do with the unhealthy and obese. People like "Lea" Thomas are the aberration and not the norm for troondom. It's generally more about how fat people try to put a positive spin on their condition than it really is about Judith Butler going mainstream.

The majority of troons, as opposed to internet-visible ones, are for the most part people who are really physically unhealthy. It seems like an identity for people who are unable or unwilling to be attractive. In the past they would just be ugly people. Now, they "come out" as trans, and most put in no real effort, don't get surgery, and especially if they are female, don't put in the kind of obsessive effort into becoming a facsimile of the other sex that the internet propaganda would lead you to believe about it. It's not uncommon for every fat girl in a college class to have pronouns even though they are just fat. Fatness is the overwhelming reality of modern American life that tends to not get that much attention because people don't like looking at pictures of fat people.

It's kind of like the university/corporate propaganda version of Hispanic diversity portraying most of them as Telenovela actors and actresses, but then the reality is some mixture of white people with Spanish last names, Sephardic Jews, and 4 foot tall mixed-race Oompa Loompas, with most of them being like the last item on the list. The average troon is also like that: just dumpy and unremarkable.

This also translates to mediocre intellects and creatives who use troondom to try to make up for a lack of talent: unable to stand out on normal terms, they continue to be mediocre, but color their hair or go on a short course of hormones and then pretend that it makes them more worthy of attention. Generally, it doesn't work, but for the people willing to pretend to this halfhearted identity, they might be able to check some diversity boxes for their employer.
I think thats one aspect, another is the psychopathic push to inculcate children into this ideology. If you introduce them to this idea then when puberty hits and hormones go completely off the charts as the body tries to find equilibrium, the growing pains and sense of bodily integrity can be mistaken for this troon shit, so you get a whole lot of false positives to this mind rot. Hormonal imbalances and irregularities can be a part of poor diet, obesity and lack of exercise (see diabetes among others) and puberty is a time where the sexual characteristics are kicked into overdrive to develop into a functional adult human being. An entire generation lost to this madness, a bloody war would have been less destructive.

Hormone blockers retarding the growth is a terrifying aspect, lack of lung capacity, heart being too small for the body, brittle bones due to lack of nutrients being processed, a stunted diminished mutated and mutilated generation.

copebot

Learned

I think thats one aspect, another is the psychopathic push to inculcate children into this ideology. If you introduce them to this idea then when puberty hits and hormones go completely off the charts as the body tries to find equilibrium, the growing pains and sense of bodily integrity can be mistaken for this troon shit, so you get a whole lot of false positives to this mind rot. Hormonal imbalances and irregularities can be a part of poor diet, obesity and lack of exercise (see diabetes among others) and puberty is a time where the sexual characteristics are kicked into overdrive to develop into a functional adult human being. An entire generation lost to this madness, a bloody war would have been less destructive.

Hormone blockers retarding the growth is a terrifying aspect, lack of lung capacity, heart being too small for the body, brittle bones due to lack of nutrients being processed, a stunted diminished mutated and mutilated generation.
No you're not wrong. When it comes to children still in latency, that's just the parents acting on the child. Pre-puberty kids are just extremely suggestible, and the notion that they can just come up with ideas like that on their own is clearly absurd.

For teenagers, it's different, and I think the bastardized Judith Butler cure hits differently for male teenagers and for female teenagers. In the popular nonfiction book Irreversible Damage, the author mostly focuses on teenage girls who use the drugs and "therapy" as an escape hatch from unpleasant female competition with the overt "support" from schools and medical authorities. The MtF nerd-troons that are more visible online seem to come in a few chief varieties: the nerd who wants to become the nerd girlfriend of his dreams (often becoming a mutant in the process), and the autogynophiliacs who are sexually fixated on the idea of themselves as a woman, and the more traditional medically enhanced transvestites who are mostly just homosexuals.

The rare cases of sports transitions may just be fraud for competitive advantage: a loophole for essentially either taking performance enhancing drugs, or just entering female competitions with a whole lot of natural testosterone.

In the instant case, it'd be crude to try to figure out what happened from a distance. But to speak more generally, just as you see fathers of girls often treat their daughters as if they were sons (caring more than any rational man would, for example, about girl's soccer), sometimes those daughters may decide to be the type of child that he clearly wanted instead of what god made them to be. Even without the phenomenon of drugs and surgery, we see tons and tons of girls and young women trying to perform as defective males to meet social expectations, and having deeply frustrating lives as a consequence.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Funny that Shamus was an MRA, I don't think I ever got that vibe from him. Maybe xe xir is just remembering that time feminists went after her dads most cherished pastime, and anti feminist backlash swept the gaming community for years. I think it had a name.......

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
I will always wish I had gotten to meet him medicated.

He had some trauma (I’ll never know entirely what) that centered around feminists. The topic made his blood boil, and he could go on forever ranting about man-hating bitches. I don’t think the guy that ranted that stuff was fully my dad. I think that was scared, unmedicated, caveman brain talking. Without saying too much, I’ve got a family member with the exact same symptoms my dad had when I was growing up, who, in the last few years got medicated for the ADHD, bipolar cocktail that runs in our family. Guys, it’s night and day. The paranoia, the anger, the weird triggers and lash-outs, the massively disordered sleeping…just a whole new person. A person who looks back on their behavior and is able to fully see it for the first time. Someone reasonable, and thoughtful, and capable of rational thought in tense situations.

(sorry about image quality) The inmates are truly running the asylum.
1689869253936.png

mondblut

Arcane

I see why Shamus lost his will to live. If the spawn of my seed turned into what I hate the most, I'd be like "fuck it, time to reroll," too.

Here's why abortions should be not banned, but encouraged.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
It's messed up. They were homeschooled too. Maybe the wife is a raging libtard.

The problem with autistic lolbertarian types like Shamus is an unwillingness to enforce their views on others, especially women. He may have ranted about feminists but never stopped the kid from making retarded decisions. Keeping your kids from this stuff is just as important as making sure they don't wander into traffic.

HansDampf

Arcane
Shamus wouldn't touch current day political topics with a ten-foot pole and had a strict rule against politically charged comments on his blog. It was a breath of fresh air with all the culture wars, posing, and signaling on the internet. Even when he did write something about a political topic, you could never tell what his personal views had been on the matter. I wish more people were like Shamus.
It's also in poor taste to reveal such details about him now after he's gone. I don't want to know.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What I find curious is the appaling lack of basic decency and respect for their own dead father his troon children show, that blog post from the troon reads like it was talking about some unknown person and not its dad. Why is that? He was a typical "Why we dont get along?" centrist, so where the bad influence came from? His wife? If he married with a "defend the current thing" NPC, oh boy, in that case, dying wouldnt be the worst outcome.

I am assuming that Shamus was already married years before culture degeneration ramped up in the early 2010s', there was no way for him to truly know what was in store for him. Female brains are like that, unless you have complete control over it, sooner or later culture, the government or whatever social contagion will affect them. I remember reading a long time ago that the truly Elite practically subjugate their kids, they don't chance anything to genes or fate, they pass on their way in the most fanatical way possible.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Imagine ruining your life to get revenge on your dead dad.

so where the bad influence came from?

Modern society teaches that parents have no right to give their kids any kind of direction in life; makes children easier to control. If you don't give your kids an ethos someone else will happily do so for you.

Notice that all TV, media, movies, etc. repeat this message. If there is a story where the parents are pushing ideas on a kid they will be ignorant and misguided at best or outright monsters at worst. Kids who reject their parent's control blossom and become successful and happy, those who follow their elders are miserable and losers. If there is a family business, taking it over or working for it is a dead end and soul-crushing fate worse than death. Nepotism is shown as an unmitigated evil. There are zero exceptions.

Elite practically subjugate their kids

Accurate. I worked in an industry serving the very rich, and they do the exact opposite of what middle- and working-class do. They drill their absolute will into their kids. You are a *FAMILY* you have *DUTIES* you will *OBEY.* Kids do fine. Nepotism is not evil, it is a given. There is no question that children will take over the business and lead the company. Kids who reject are cut off financially (they always come back), cut out of sinecures (college, mentorships, exclusive groups, etc), and social standing. Building and maintaining the family wealth is crucial. Often they use a modern form of medieval fostership; sons will trade places and go work with their Dad's friends for awhile, then come back and take their place in the family firm.

Very few children seriously rebel against this or push back. Why would they? There is no reason to. They'd lose their inheritance and gain nothing. No one "follows their heart," except to pursue other business ventures funded and supported by the rest of the family network. There is none of this "decide who they are for themselves" business, that is for plebs. School, college, and work are all picked out for them, and most happily conform.

I think the rich fund the propaganda about family legacies being evil as a stopgap to try to keep people atomized and not form the same clan structure they use to maintain wealth, but that's getting into spook territory so nevermind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom