Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RIP Zenimax CEO Robert Altman

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

phil-spencer-e1443100975335-1280x720.jpg

About that acquisition... Maybe they can shift the comma a bit to the left now.

ADL

Prophet
Say what you will about Zenimax but based on what I've read over the years, he was a pretty chill guy and awesome to work for. Never heard anything bad to say about him. Pretty sure he's the third or fourth Zenimax executive to die this year (along with Donald Trump's brother Robert).

Also he was married to Wonder Woman

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
He sounds and looks like a swell guy (at least he doesn't have that smug mug that is telltale sign of a scumbag), but OTOH Zenimax makes me think of "We are not allowed to talk about that", [censored], DRM and Horse Armor...

prengle

Savant
Mocking this dudes death is fucking poor taste even for Codex standards.

:bravo:
"noooooooooo you can't just piss on the grave of a sleazy multimillionaire bourgie dc lawyer slimeball who drained the games industry like a fucking parasite!!!" bitch where the fuck do you think we are, /r/gaming? were you supporting the hedge funds a week ago?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Fun fact: in 2002 Altman forcibly pushed Bethesda's actual *original* founder out of the company.

Such an honorable man, how dare any of you disrespect him.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Wonder if he acquired enough money to pay for the Heavens Gate DLC.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Wasn't that the guy who was indicted for being involved in some super shady money laundering shit with Arabs who financed terrorist groups? I believe he was banned permanently from banking because of this. There was also a Reddit post from a Bethesda employee who claimed he threatened physical violence to devs because they were not on board with lootboxes:

So, you can all take the confirmation from the other day that Blades is delayed. I told you but you thought it was coming out with TGA.

Here's a review: it's a shi tshow right now. Starfield has been STUCK in a set of a half dozen NOWHERE development loops for almost 2-3 years. Entire studios are devoted to fixing these, but Maryland NEVER accepts the solution and they are always starting over. Space combat does not work in this engine. One studio made it work in a new engine, it was pretty awesome - but Maryland threw a fucking fit. Do we make a new level creation tool set, or do we pigeonhole a broken space combat feature into the old kit. Literally one year going back and forth on that and as of today we are NOWHERE. A half dozen more things like that.

Because shit is stuck, the story has been rewritten TWICE, and a whole game's worth of levels and bosses has been made and scrapped. People are seriously asking who is in charge.

Blades is about the only thing that's making progress. And it's shit. It's not fun. Here's what it is: it kind of works - that is, it seems to mostly function. But my god after the 2 minutes of novelty, tap and swipe swordplay - oh god it's dull. VR fake, shallow TES is also fun for about 5 minutes. Still, soo many bugs, especially cross-platform (main reason for delay).

Fallout 76 is killing us, it's causing panic and all these projects are unraveling.

Here's the rub, though: the main problem is our CEO - a huge jackass who have never touched a videogame and is the worst sort of cash grabby EA type of person you could imagine. He has threatened physical violence on management and devs to get loot boxes etc into games.

No shit, look this up: he's formerly a banking con man who got a slap on the wrist BECAUSE HIS CRIMES WERE DEEP IN GOVERNMENT CORRUPTION. Something about the drug trade and terrorism. No, I don't have inside knowledge on that - google BCCI.

theLorry

Educated
I've heard his name often enough, but never in direct connection with a particular game's development. Was he just a money guy or did he actually influence the games made under ZeniMax, one way or another. I need to know if I should add him to my list, even if posthumously.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
There was also a Reddit post from a Bethesda employee who claimed he threatened physical violence to devs because they were not on board with lootboxes:
Such a wholesome man. RIP, the world will miss him.

Edit: And the Agree ratings on samuraigaiden's post just keep piling up. Bunch of cucks in here.

Generic-Giant-Spider

He's apart of Todd now.

As all of us will be, one day...

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
another one died?
my thoughts exactly. My Deus Ex senses tell me very suspicious.

At the end of the day we can be petty all we want but we wouldn't have Morrowind if it hadn't been for the hostile takeover. That said we would've had a bankrupted Bethesda.
I feel conflicted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom