Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

Stauff

Liturgist
Well you might have heard deep silver issued beta codes for those with risen collectors edition. I am one of those who actually kept weird piece of paper with some code, and lo and behold today I've got a steam access code.. I downloaded something of around 4gb and played like 30-40 minutes (updated to 2,5 hours). It's getting late today so more stuff tomorrow but anyway some initial stuff for fellow codexers. I really do value this Nda shit so sorry I have to keep my mouth shut most of the time on this..

1. What's this? Looks like no one in gothic risen forums knows what's this thing. Is it beta? Does not look so.. Is it release? Also not likely. looks like there is a major stopper up ahead at some point. So we can call it demo version.. As for beta stuff - seriously nobody even cared to supply me with bugtracker, special forum for discussing bugs, etc.. Looks like nobody is even asking for my input on this.

2. Gfx and lagginess - everything good here for me, graphics whores of course will call it all crap and they sure have reasons.. Gfx seems to be even worse than risen 1.. But for me it's nothing special - good old PB gfx stuff.

3. Interface from console hell? Yes, worst ui in PB game for sure

4. Role playing elements scaled down massively - yes yes and again yes..

5. Dark'n gritty? For some reason I'd say nope - not even a hint of it. Yep sure curse words are like every 20 seconds from pirates mouth.. But its all very poor implemented my friends like a child who is given permission to swear

6. The game actually manage to grow out of its really short and ugly pants sometimes, there was even a couple of times when I said - this is done good!

7. Companions stuff is not only fun developers of PB - it's a toil, sometimes nuisance, but anyway typically companions should be something you should at least care just a bit. Right now companions are fun and that's all about them.

8. The game is ALL about exploits. Think of anything like Save/Load, terrain heights, monsters getting stuck, non-stop clicking, virtually anything in new Risen 2 can be exploited by "bad" players. Of course companions are the best and the most ugly exploit..

9. The game is VERY easy. I played on medium, died a couple of times. Having a companion reduced complexity to almost zero.

10. The climbing skill is off the board (this is info you already know). It's not completely off the board and that what makes it real "bad" thing. Do you remember that in G1/G2 more or less sentient monsters can also climb ledges! G1/G2 PB developers.. Think for yourself what happens with such thing in Risen 2...

11. "WTF" game pausing. Some actions can lead to game and world around you getting completely paused.. Though some I might tolerate given that they can be safely considered "instant" actions, some others are definitely an idea of sheer ignorance.

12. Significant cut-down of all the world around you.. Plants, food, animal trophies just almost anything is downright shrinked. Almost all food is now converted to generics.

13. "WTF" NPC's. Most of NPCs seem to lack even basic stuff we're accustomed to in G1/G2! After fighting some person and beating him up completely how healthy do you think he is after raising up? Obvious answer is not right.

14. Killing NPCs.. This is serious.. looks like you can't KILL any NPC with the exception of definite "enemies"

15. You can't loot beaten NPC!

Of course comrades you should judge for yourselves soon but just Pattys first appearance sent shivers of grief down my spine.. Looks like PB writers gone into pirates of carrabean comedy style..

And the epic ending.. The ultimate downfall of PB - R2 can't even do things correctly done in G1-2-3..

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's probably just early access to the demo. I doubt they'd run a beta two months prior to their stated release date.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can you explain how role playing elements have been scaled down? If anything, it looked like they added more things you could put points into and had more multiple-solution quests with voodoo, the monkey, and speech skills. And how are NPCs dumbed down?

Tigranes

Arcane
The whole collector's edition -> beta stuff sounds fake, if nobody else is playing this thing. Meh.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That part is true:

"Buyers of the Collector’s Edition of Risen 1 might remember that an access code for a “beta test” for the next game by Piranha Bytes was part of that box.

This “beta test” is now entering its next stage. Those who registered their code with Deep Silver received an e-mail today in which Deep Silver announced that the “beta test” will take place from February, 20th to March, 2nd. The e-mail recipients are asked to register again on the website betatest.risen2.com with their personal access code.

Since Deep Silver made a little mess with all the registrations and codes, here’s a list about the steps to take (as we currently understand the procedure ourselves):

1. Buy Collector’s Edition to get access code
  2. Register with Deep Silver to get personal access code
  3. Register on www.betatest.risen2.com to get Steam download code
  4. Register on Steam and use last code to download the demo"

Stauff

Liturgist
Gentlemen if you can go to beta site study Nda and then tell me whether I can say in details what I don't like in role playing elements then sure I'll tell, but meanwhile I see a hefty sum of 10000 euro for breaking this crap. And yep I was stupid enough to give my real address in number 2/3 :)

just one tiny bit you no more have chicken legs, rat meat, bug meat or anything like that everything you collect is now provisions! Sure this is tiny thing but this immediately gives wtf to gothic fans..

Tigranes

Arcane
Huh. Egg on my face, then. In that case, let's have some less vague impressions, if that's possible - the original statements sound like different people could have very different assessments.

Stauff

Liturgist
Jasede as soon as my post won't be first in damn google when searching for risen 2 beta impressions :) I will try to give better report besides I really need to sit with at least couple of hours.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Wow if this is true its a no buy for me. Risen 1 was pretty good and wasn't too consolish but if this is true Risen 2 sounds terrible.

Why dont the mainstream AAA studios just forget RPG's and make action games and then the indy industry of RPG's can take over. I miss the old days when it was a niche hobby like when SSI was releasing RPG's in the mid 80's....

How much more dumbing down can the RPG genre take? They are stradling the fence on them being pure action games even now and some of them I enjoy (Had fun with Skyrim) but I think a few more steps into action and less RPG stuff and I might be completely ignoring AAA games.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
To be fair - Risen was basically Gothic under a new name. It makes sense Piranha Bytes don't want to make the exact same game again, or that they want to differentiate Gothic from Risen now that they have the rights. It's kind of a let-down but if Gothic stays Gothic and Risen stays fun even if it is different, I don't really mind that much.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Shit. I still haven't played Risen 1 actually because it looks so bland and the last Chapter is supposed to be rushed, and now you're telling me Risen 2, a PB game finally worth playing since G2, is actually worse?

Fuck. I need to play this bugger for confirmation.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Shit. I still haven't played Risen 1 actually because it looks so bland and the last Chapter is supposed to be rushed, and now you're telling me Risen 2, a PB game finally worth playing since G2, is actually worse?

Play it, bitch. Quit after the first two chapters, you won't miss much. Still, play it. It's a G2 remake, don't expect different.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
4. Role playing elements scaled down massively - yes yes and again yes..
What elements do you mean? Gothic/Risen was never heavy on stats or any complex levelling/skills.
Dialogs? Same.
Choices?.. some.
Seriously, nowadays shooters typically have more stats than gothics did, I don't see how they can simplify it further.

Gord

Arcane
So we have one random guy on the internet bitching about a beta with no indication of what to think of it, or if it's even true?

Sounds legit to me!

CONFIMRED, BRAHS, RIESN 2 SUCKS!!1!11!

made

Arcane
Gentlemen if you can go to beta site study Nda and then tell me whether I can say in details what I don't like in role playing elements then sure I'll tell, but meanwhile I see a hefty sum of 10000 euro for breaking this crap. And yep I was stupid enough to give my real address in number 2/3 :)
You can talk about whatever info they have already revealed themselves, just not divulge any new information. Then again, you being Russian, I don't think Germans have any jurisdiction over you either way. Mother Russia does not scare! ;)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Play it, bitch. Quit after the first two chapters, you won't miss much. Still, play it. It's a G2 remake, don't expect different.

This. It all goes downhill after the first couple of chapters. However, it is still a good amalgam of G1 and G2 design and plot devices.

Murk

Arcane
Eh, I still had fun playing the end game -- yes, it's worse than the beginning, but it's not terrible in and of itself. The dungeons are decent and you get to go up against enemies who have melee skills and can parry/counter you n shit.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Eh, I still had fun playing the end game -- yes, it's worse than the beginning, but it's not terrible in and of itself. The dungeons are decent and you get to go up against enemies who have melee skills and can parry/counter you n shit.

Fair enough. By that point, I think I had levelled and gotten good enough equipment that combat was no longer challenging and the only unexplored places were one or two dungeons that had been initially blocked. That combined with the end of the open and somewhat dynamic quest structure meant that the best parts of the game were over. Still a good game, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom