Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

Kraszu

Prophet
Did they go back to G1's control scheme? Can you guys elaborate, Morgoth, Stauff, Kraszu?

No, what I mean is that pressing d doesn't make you strafe to right, it makes you run to right, so if you press for example d you run right, then you press a, and the char has to first stop, then turn to left, and then it starts to run to left (doesn't take that much time but it is far from being instant). There is also no dodge move like in Risen.

G1 was keyboard only but you had normal strafing, and normal movement just with arrow keys replacing mouse.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've just had the misfortune of reading the Gamebanshee preview. Combined with some of the stuff written in this thread, I can only ask myself wtf happened to PB.

Another thing that mystifies me is how can Brother None keep listing all those glaring and blatant examples of dumbing down, then say that the quest design is 'vastly improved' while it seems to be exactly the same as in previous PB games and finally conclude with 'Based on the preview areas, the sequel appears to be a solid improvement on Risen, despite the disappointing simplification in character system.'.

Solid improvement? Really? No XP needed to learn skills, impossible to fail lockpicking minigame WITH FUCKING SKILL THRESHOLDS TO EVEN START LOCKPICKING, impossible to fail pickpocketing, 'cooldowns' on spells and guns (guess you are reloading that while you run with a very flexible leg muscle, Crimsonland style?), axed hunting/prospecting, Gothic 3 style stunlocks that everyone loves, cooldowns on throwing knives, 'guns or voodoo, pick one' and killcams are a 'solid improvement'? What the hell.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Solid improvement? Really?

I attributed it to him perhaps feeling it's better than the sum of its parts. That or world design has improved or something. Dunno. Perhaps Brother None could explain?
That's what I though too, but it seems they're doing everything wrong. Cooldown timers instead of animations got me specially butthurt.

nRCJM.jpg

msxyz

Augur
No, what I mean is that pressing d doesn't make you strafe to right, it makes you run to right, so if you press for example d you run right, then you press a, and the char has to first stop, then turn to left, and then it starts to run to left (doesn't take that much time but it is far from being instant). There is also no dodge move like in Risen.

G1 was keyboard only but you had normal strafing, and normal movement just with arrow keys replacing mouse.
I wonder if anybody tired using the Xbox controller. After using it for Two Worlds II and Skyrim, I've overcome the diffidence towards this input method (applied to slow paced games).

I've just had the misfortune of reading the Gamebanshee preview. Combined with some of the stuff written in this thread, I can only ask myself wtf happened to PB.
Market happened. It's a question or either dieing or evolveing adapting to what the masses of dumbfucks want nowadays.

Renegen

Arcane
So I was watching some IGN reviews (dont ask) on Youtube and guess what ad came up before the paid-advertisement, a Risen 2 trailer. Good for them that they're going for the IGN crowd, but is it good for us? Fuel to the fire.

mkultra

Augur
And seriously - don't you see that this might just end up without fixing?

Seriously no, i don't see how such a game breaking bug could get into the final game.

Risen 1 had a lot less bugs than their previous games. It's funny how people expect a perfect release for something they released for the public to test so that they could fix the bugs and balance it better.. i mean wow, beta/alpha release has bugs?! that's new...

msxyz

Augur
Anybody tried to show that video in the official forums to see the reaction?

mkultra

Augur

Like they arent aware of it.. lol. I hope everyone here who are complaining about bugs also reported those, its kind of the idea with beta testing.

Reading this thread makes me realise why developers usually doesnt allow the public to beta test, far too many derps. "But it has the bugzzz, no way i'm buying it now, i'm gonna do some youtube hate videos now and make everyone aware how much this game suxx!!! waaaaaaaaaaah!!!" derps are derps..

Stauff

Liturgist

Like they arent aware of it.. lol. I hope everyone here who are complaining about bugs also reported those, its kind of the idea with beta testing.

Why not use your brain sometimes? Let's look closely at this video indeed we see 4 glaring issues

1. No reaction to weapon sheathing outside of Npc viewing sector
2. No reaction from obvious attack
3. No reaction from companion
4. Health auto restore

Do you really think such obvious issues wont be cleared up at the earlies stages? It's simply obvious that at least some of those issues will successfully travel to release version because new generation PB just don't care! f.ex they really like health auto restore on NPC..

Phelot

Arcane
Ugh. What a disappointment reading this thread. I was really looking forward to the game despite some things I wasn't too sure about. I'll probably try the demo at some point, but this just fell from my radar. I really enjoyed Risen 1, too.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's simply obvious that at least some of those issues will successfully travel to release version because new generation PB just don't care! f.ex they really like health auto restore on NPC..

M:

mkultra

Augur
Why not use your brain sometimes? Let's look closely at this video indeed we see 4 glaring issues

4. Health auto restore

Do you really think such obvious issues wont be cleared up at the earlies stages? It's simply obvious that at least some of those issues will successfully travel to release version because new generation PB just don't care! f.ex they really like health auto restore on NPC..

1. Uhhh if someone doesnt see that you're drawing your weapon that person shouldnt react, stealth kills would be impossible otherwise.
2. Obvious bug is obvious.
3. It's not an enemy and it's not fighting back so your companion stays neutral. It's not a bug, just how AI usually works in games.
4. That has been in the games since Gothic1 i believe, it's in Gothic2,3 and Risen at least. You can't kill all characters in this game either, some will auto restore their health. Usually you can knock them out and you can loot them, but they will wake up.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Let's look closely at this video indeed we see 4 glaring issues

4. Health auto restore

That's not a bug, it's a feature, and a pretty good one. (Though the sound of the unsheathing creates an inconsistency.)
Sadly, probably also a feature.
I doubt the devs consider this a "glaring issue".
The only thing here that's an obvious bug, is the lack of reaction to an attack. And that could very possibly have been overlooked before and will probably get fixed soon.

Stauff

Liturgist
4. That has been in the games since Gothic1 i believe, it's in Gothic2,3 and Risen at least. You can't kill all characters in this game either, some will auto restore their health. Usually you can knock them out and you can loot them, but they will wake up.

This is attention to details that seem so much important

1. There are no stealth kills in gothic games, never were and probably not in r2. Codexers correct me if I am wrong. In all gothic games NPCs do react to weapon being withdrawn even when you're standing behind their back.
2. G1/G2 had exactly same critical NPC division - their health won't decrease at all no matter how you try. All other NPCs work more or less like this - you knock them down to almost zero hp and then you can loot their body another great thing strangely missing in r2. At this time you can kill NPC with devastating effect on your local reputation (of course if anyone sees you), otherwise NPC will slowly stand up and then it will have almost zero hp and thus may decide to eat some food which will eventually increase its hp. Just think how simple, good looking and plainly well done this is done. Sacrificing such stuff is a crime IMHO :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not that I ever tried it but could you really kill that many 'critical NPCs' in G1/G2 and not just totally break the game preventing you from continuing with your quest? Maybe you can kill Snarf the cook but... can you kill Xardas (I'm guessing no)?

Rpgsaurus Rex

In G2/NotR at least every plot-key NPC is unkillable (it took my by surprise as I tried to whack Jorgen for XP in Ch1 and he was invincible, only in Ch5 did I discover he was a candidate for captaining your ship to get to Ch6).

Rpgsaurus Rex

This is attention to details that seem so much important

1. There are no stealth kills in gothic games, never were and probably not in r2. Codexers correct me if I am wrong. In all gothic games NPCs do react to weapon being withdrawn even when you're standing behind their back.

2. G1/G2 had exactly same critical NPC division - their health won't decrease at all no matter how you try. All other NPCs work more or less like this - you knock them down to almost zero hp and then you can loot their body another great thing strangely missing in r2. At this time you can kill NPC with devastating effect on your local reputation (of course if anyone sees you), otherwise NPC will slowly stand up and then it will have almost zero hp and thus may decide to eat some food which will eventually increase its hp. Just think how simple, good looking and plainly well done this is done. Sacrificing such stuff is a crime IMHO :)

AI is pretty bugged in the Gothics, sometimes you can come from behind and whack them 3 or so times before they turn around and draw their weapon, sometimes not.

Also "devastating reputation" is an illusion, and a great one at that (thanks to Gothic developers making their worlds seem so alive). On my 2nd playthrough I annihilated the whole paladin regiment in Ch5 (the guys were standing in line ready to go the the Valley of Mines, I just couldn't resist the temptation to get a bunch of XP with 2 scrolls of fire rain). A bit later I pay a 100g penalty to Andre and I'm ok again. You can get away with killing everyone who is "killable" in Gothics in plain sight as long as you can pay the measly gold penatly, pretty much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom