Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Risen 2: Dark Waters Previewed by a Bunch of Less Prestigious Websites

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
NO QTE Scenario:
Step into the trap -> Death -> Reload [the game continuity is broken]
QTE Scenario:
1. Step into the trap -> Press Space -> No death -> No reload [the game continuity is not broken]
2. Step into the trap -> Don't press Space -> Death -> Reload [the game continuity is broken]

Personally I hate QTEs and I definitely don't want to defend them, but I hate stupid deaths more. So, I think this specific QTE is bearable.

Why stop there?

QTE Scenarios:

3. Get into combat -> Press Space -> No death -> Instant Win
4. Get into combat -> Don't press Space -> Death -> Reload
5. Get a quest -> Press Space -> Instant completion.
6. Get a quest -> Don't press Space -> Have to actually play the game.

:M

What's the point of a trap if you can just Spacebar your way out of it? If you get caught by a trap in the first place due to negligence in examining your surroundings then why not be punished with having to reload rather than getting a get out of jail free card?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
NO QTE Scenario:
QTE Scenario:
1. Step into the trap -> Press Space -> No death -> No reload [the game continuity is not broken]
2. Step into the trap -> Don't press Space -> Death -> Reload [the game continuity is broken]

Personally I hate QTEs and I definitely don't want to defend them, but I hate stupid deaths more. So, I think this specific QTE is bearable.

Why stop there?

QTE Scenarios:

What's the point of a trap if you can just Spacebar your way out of it? If you get caught by a trap in the first place due to negligence in examining your surroundings then why not be punished with having to reload rather than getting a get out of jail free card?

Why do you need to exaggerate? Read again: "I think this specific QTE is bearable."

The point of the trap is FLUFF, as long as reload is permitted.

Kraszu

Prophet
NO QTE Scenario:
QTE Scenario:

Why stop there?

QTE Scenarios:

Why do you need to exaggerate? Read again: "I think this specific QTE is bearable."

The point of the trap is FLUFF, as long as reload is permitted.

No load is much bigger consequence for the player then having to press spacebar few times.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
By your reasoning combat could be classified as FLUFF as well. Why should a trap not be an integral part of the experience? If you have a 'escape from trap' skill for your character then that would make sense that you avoid damage, but there's no point to a trap if all it is is just a shitty one key press minigame. The point should be that a trap should be deadly(damaging or fatal) to the unwary, not be just a pointless nuisance.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

I wish. So far I've seen two sorts of traps:

1. Spike-from-the-ground: planted on some spots on the island, they can be seen from a distance if you're paying attention.

2. Axe-from-above: after you steal an idol in a temple, something usually happens. Sometimes doors open or close. Often traps are activate in the doorway arches. You can't avoid them or go around them, you just have to walk through ready to press space.

Yeah, no. The whole experience is seriously pointless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Traps like this were already in Risen 1 -- just limited to the ruins/dungeons. You had no indication of them aside from visual cues in the textures.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

I wish. So far I've seen two sorts of traps:

1. Spike-from-the-ground: planted on some spots on the island, they can be seen from a distance if you're paying attention.

2. Axe-from-above: after you steal an idol in a temple, something usually happens. Sometimes doors open or close. Often traps are activate in the doorway arches. You can't avoid them or go around them, you just have to walk through ready to press space.

Yeah, no. The whole experience is seriously pointless.

The 'can't avoid or go around' thing is pretty stupid. There should always be some option to avoid a trap that you have no option but to set off, either with some disarm skill or an alternate route if you are prepared for it, such as a crack in the wall where you can transform as a bug as in the first Risen if you have the correct scroll. Failing that, you should be ready to deal with it and reload to a time before picking up the idol or whatever and resist the urge to steal everything without consequence. From what you say it doesn't matter if you set a trap off as you always have an option to get past it regardless of skill or preparedness.

Traps like this were already in Risen 1 -- just limited to the ruins/dungeons. You had no indication of them aside from visual cues in the textures.

Yeah but you usually either took damage or had some means of avoiding them if you were prepared.

Murk

Arcane
What? The spikes/crusher things all killed you. The only one that didn't was the trapdoor.

Is there any way to disable the traps using telekinesis, monkey, shooting switch, etc?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
What? The spikes/crusher things all killed you. The only one that didn't was the trapdoor.

Is there any way to disable the traps using telekinesis, monkey, shooting switch, etc?

Yes they did kill you, but you could avoid them by not triggering them and often you did that by turning into the nautilus and crawling through holes. It's not like having a disarm skill or the level of interactivity with traps like in DX, but at least it encouraged a different approach and hesitation when traipsing around hidden temples stealing everything in sight compared to what Brother None describes where traps are inconsequential and there's no worry about setting them off cause of the QTE.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Right, I completely forgot:
NO QTE Scenario:
Notice the trap -> avoid, bypass it (with magic or skill)/lure enemies into it/etc -> Trap is a fun game mechanic that poses a challenge and opens up opportunities [the game continuity is not broken]
Do not notice trap -> Step into the trap -> Death/heavy damage/status damage (poison, disease, stunned, etc) -> Reload or continue depending on your state [the game continuity may be broken]
QTE Scenario:
1. Step into the trap -> Press Space -> No death -> No reload but shitty QTE [the game continuity is broken]
Fixed.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Brother None describes where traps are inconsequential and there's no worry about setting them off cause of the QTE.

To be fair, sometimes they open up a gate and unleash something on you, which is a much nastier shock. The hardest fight I had was when taking the idol opened up a door with two Molucca warriors behind it, and I had to fight them in closer quarters with no real space to create some breathing room. I can imagine they do more with these temple puzzles and traps later.

There's no telekinesis spell, and if there were any switches I missed them (which is well possible). I can imagine later you use the monkey to get past them or disable them.

Murk

Arcane
Commie, my response was to your statement that they "did health damage", all traps in the gothic games have been insta-kill.

I don't see why they wouldn't have someway to disable traps since that is kind of a constant staple in their games, unless of course it was meant to be a dead-end trap (there's those, too).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom