Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Risen 2 is awesome

Delicieuxz

Cipher
I wonder what people had trouble with over the combat, pre dodge, because, while it was hard, it definitely was master-able, and everything was about tight timing. I found it great, and PB's best to date, for me. Risen 1's was far from fluid, and that made it very unsatisfying for me. Dodging was never needed, kicking was there for a reason. If you ever dodged, then you sucked at timing the kicking, because it repelled all the animals's attacks when timed right. I guess it's elder scrolls people who want the bar lowered who were upset about the combat expecting some skill involvement.

The first two Gothic's are by far PB's best creations, but I think I enjoyed Risen 2 a lot more than Risen 1 - up to a point. Risen 1 was just rehashes from the first two Gothics, not really its own game and not feeling new. It also had got really boring when I quit playing it, in the monastery. I felt like I was playing a chore simulator, and I had never got a sense of meaningful purpose up till then.

The first few islands, excluding the starting one with the lava and city, were fun, and beautiful to explore. The later islands were not attractive, and the one that's just tunneled out pathways seemed really shoddy and immersion-crapping-on.

The pirates were cliche and children cartoonish, and they didn't give a very piratey vibe.

The a questing was not up to early PB standards, and the dialog consisted only of clicking through all the available options until they were gone, making there not actually be options. There wasn't really a point in having the dialog be clickable, because there weren't choices - and there weren't many different ways to go about things, either.

Overall, the early islands and the combat are what I like about it. I hope PB keep the combat similar in the next game, I don't want to lose any fluidity or challenge.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Comments about the combat being stunlock fests amaze me, because they mean that the player simply never learned how to play the game, and are blaming the game for their laziness and lack of skills. PB don't deserve that, that's squarely the player's fault, and their whinings can ruin a deeper experience for those looking for one.

There was no stunlocking unless you forgot or failed to stunblock. Kicking worked great, if you figured out it was there for the purpose of being used, and bothered learning to use it. Go play CoD, or with a box or something.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

subotaiy

Cipher
Combat is plain shit in Risen 2. All PB games have problems in this department (G3 being the worst), and that comes from a fan. Even in the first Gothic, you can stunlock golems with the first attack and, in most situations (G1, 2) is actually better to use the first 2 atack animations than to go full combo.
They should copy souls games system.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Well so far i've learned the kick, parry, and the powerful attack in Risen 2, and combat actuallyis pretty damn fun and requires some skill.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Obvious troll is obvious, but on the bright side people can talk about some old classics if they forget about OP.

I liked Risen 2 for treasure hunting, the only good side. The rest of the game was doubtful fun.

Tigranes

Arcane
Risen 2 combat pre-dodge wasn't hard per se, it was just not very good. Similar to 1.00 Gothic 3 animal stunlock, you either got into a good 'timing' at the very start and beat down the boar uncontested, or boar owned your ass. I'm playing G2/NOTR now and you never get into that kind of irretrievable fuck even when you are at level 1, whether with bloodflies, goblins, wolves or humans.

Once you level up a little and learn to parry, and especially when you get guns and other things, there is no hint of a stunlock. I don't think anyone's arguing that R2 is stunlock all the way, though I could be wrong. The real issue is that after that point, the game loses challenge - one of the most special things about PB games. Esp. if you go for guns.

I've always defended R2 on the Codex. I like it, I don't regret full price, I eagerly look forward to R3. But it was weaker considerably than all other PB games because its story / drama was annoying, because its early game combat was less strategic (even with kicking, because the issue was not so much the lack of a dodge but the way the timing was set up), and the late game combat was easy. Its strengths are the consistent flashes of good old PB magic; beautiful environments; and quests which tend to be more stronger than the bland, understated quests common in many PB games (e.g. the use of voodoo and possession magic to get access to the big library).

aleph

Arcane
It seems even Piranha bytes agrees that Risen 2 combat is shit since they included firearms which allow essentially to skip combat.

aleph

Arcane
Go play Gothic 1&2, or Risen 1 and you will understand

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not as bad as Darth's overly critical review makes it seem (he's even flat-out wrong in places). However I wouldn't call it good... "good for what it is" is the cliche but useful term to use here.

If every island was the size and open-world style of the first couple real islands it would have been a lot better game. Most of the second-half islands are insanely small and corridor-heavy though, which was a real bummer.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, it gets worse as you go, especially since the DLCs were island-based. And the Drama! gets worse. No point playing after reaching the Underworld. I'm hoping Risen 3 learns to keep to, let's say, 3 islands or so.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Is there some Risen 2 -> Risen 1 total conversion? I tried playing Risen 2 a few years ago with all the interesting-sounding/QoL mods that were around at the time, but none fixed the atrocious drunk simulator that they replaced R1 controls with and I was forced to promptly uninstall it and reach for motion sickness medicine.

Falksi

Arcane
Risen 2 is fucking MINT. Wank swordplay? Yes. Join the right faction and play with run & gun style gunplay and it's a gem.
The humour, environments, and balance it has is superb. The isle of thieves' had me in stitches.
Right up there with Divinity 2 as a very rough but very fun game, with that humorous edge that makes it stand out.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Finally someone with some sense. PB makes the best jank, Risen 2 may not be a special snowflake like everyone's favotire Gothic, but damn its a fun game.

Falksi

Arcane
Finally someone with some sense. PB makes the best jank, Risen 2 may not be a special snowflake like everyone's favotire Gothic, but damn its a fun game.

I've played all the Gothic & Risen games, and Risen 2 is my fave by far. I think it's the more "social" of all the games, and definitely for people who enjoy banter, fun and adventure.
Would rate it a 9/10 experience. Rarely found myself getting bored. Apart from the bad swordplay and rough edges ot was superb.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked how they solved the overpowered weapons and armor from previous game. Patty has been pissed of and threw the clothes out of window on a ship. He would not need them as a pirate anyway.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

I've played all the Gothic & Risen games, and Risen 2 is my fave by far. I think it's the more "social" of all the games, and definitely for people who enjoy banter, fun and adventure.
Would rate it a 9/10 experience. Rarely found myself getting bored. Apart from the bad swordplay and rough edges ot was superb.
Yep, i am also partial to Risen 2. The shmucks on this board though love to hate on the Risen series, mostly bandwagon dipshits who probably never even played the games. Like the chump who quoted you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom