Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Risen 2 is awesome

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Finally someone with some sense. PB makes the best jank, Risen 2 may not be a special snowflake like everyone's favotire Gothic, but damn its a fun game.

I've played all the Gothic & Risen games, and Risen 2 is my fave by far. I think it's the more "social" of all the games, and definitely for people who enjoy banter, fun and adventure.
Would rate it a 9/10 experience. Rarely found myself getting bored. Apart from the bad swordplay and rough edges ot was superb.
Yep, i am also partial to Risen 2. The shmucks on this board though love to hate on the Risen series, mostly bandwagon dipshits who probably never even played the games. Like the chump who quoted you.
No.
Risen 1 is a solid game. It doesn't try too hard and has a good combat system to stand on. Also you are able to climb every cropping and murder everyone. Also Kai Rosenkranz.
If you cannot see how Risen 2 and 3 declined from that, idk.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I did not say there was no decline. I said they are damn fun games. Which shows how good PB games really are, despite all their faults and jankyness and supposed decline.

Falksi

Arcane
I found Risen 1 way too awkward and old-school combat-wise, and the whole setup, story & scenario a bit dull. Risen 3 felt bloated and repetitive, with the dialogue rarely containing anything interesting.
Risen 2 gave you a bubblegum combat option with gunplay, which I enjoyed, and some of the funniest & earthiest dialogue in any RPG. A gnome shouting "Fuck yeah!" at me, like some charlied up 80's game show host was just brilliant.
All enjoyable games in there own way, but if you like a pint and a laugh with your mates Risen 2 captures that type of vibe.
I can see why it isn't for more "traditional", stat loving, insular rpg lovers. It's not like finding the love of your life ir wife material. It's a bit of a cheap slapper, who noshes you off down a back ally, sucks cock like it's Blackpool rock, and then sends you on your merry way. Which fits perfect with the Pirate vibe & way.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
From the intro console graphics and I don't understand how games do this but you can just 'tell' that it's a port. Not sure if it's because of the textures or the FOV or what but it looks like shit. To the end of the middle Island. I don't know. I wanted to like it but the combat sucked. I made it just past the big Voodoo exposition village and down yet another corridor and gave up.

I really disliked this one. I kept waiting for it to 'open up' and become a game but the next corridor after the last one, I just lost all interest. I wanted to like it but found it to be a chore.

Couldn't come close to completing it. The story didn't captivate me (and I don't really care about story), the exploration was non-existant unless you consider turning into a midget and crawling through a few small dungeons, 'exploration'. The combat, yeah, we know. And the quests were pretty much all in a line.

I don't know, I haven't played Risen 3 but this is by far the worst of the lot .

I started playing this the other day. The combat is kinda weird. I mean the sword combat, not the cheese (guns).

They have the makings of a really cool system with parries/ripostes. The problem is, enemies have 2 types of attacks, really fast attacks and slow developing attacks. For someone like me, who doesn't have the greatest reflexes, the only way I can parry a fast attack in time is if I hit parry as soon as I see the enemy start the attack. But that's way too early to tell if it's a fast or a slow attack, so if it's a slow attack, you are kinda screwed. If I wait to see what kind of attack it is, there is no way I can parry a fast attack in time.

So the best way I can figure out how to fight is to hold up block, and wait for slow attacks. If it's a fast attack, it will hit regular block and do no damage, but if it';s a slow attack, with time, you can get pretty good at parrying those, and then reposting, or just attacking back. I almost got half of Roquefort's health with this tactic at like level 1.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Risen 2 melee combat sucks horribly compared to Risen 1. Just shoot stuff in the face and roll.

ur dad

Literate
Is Risen 1 worth playing?
I played it for a couple hours a few years back and thought that the world and story were pretty uninteresting. I also remember getting single-player MMO vibes from it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thought for sure this was a TemplarGR thread.

Seems like we will have a stiff competition for the Retard of the Year this year.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It was like PB really REALLY wanted to make a Pirates of The Caribbean game even if it meant forcing it through the rectum of another franchise until it gushed out the other end.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was like PB really REALLY wanted to make a Pirates of The Caribbean game even if it meant forcing it through the rectum of another franchise until it gushed out the other end.

It was Deep Silver who really wanted a pirate game, PB accomdated them the easiest way they knew how.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is there any downside to using the 4 guys I get during the "Forward march" quest to just go around and kill stuff on the island with?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Do you get XP for things they are killing? If not, probably not a great idea given the limited respawning.

Codex Year of the Donut
Do you get XP for things they are killing? If not, probably not a great idea given the limited respawning.
You do.

As an aside, the algorithm for locks seems to be picking a random tumbler not near the edges, then randomly choosing left or right to expand. No rhyme or reason, just guessing is the only way to solve them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom