Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 3: Titan Lords revealed in PC Games magazine

Dexter

Arcane
Not sure what's supposed to be wrong with that armor. :M
But it's the old "realism" versus "style" debate. As long as the game doesn't try to be realistic I'm fine with it.

It doesn't even look like a human anyway, more like a fire elemental in an armor with exhaust vents or something. Dude doesn't seem to have a body.
It boggles my mind that people are more bothered by the way his armor looks than by the concept of personified fire wearing an armor in the first place.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Or in Risen 3 you can now block animal/monster attacks. Arrgh, that's what was made fighting animals/monsters special in the first place in Gothic. You had to use different tactics for them because of that...
They also wrote that not being able to block animals in Risen 2 (didn't play it myself) was part of some "Shitstorm list" or whatever, things their "fans" critizised the most in that game.
So if even those "fans" give such bullshit popamole feedback then of course all hope is lost. :(

No, that was a completely justified feedback, R2 was practically unplayable before they patched it because due to the weird animal behaviour the fights against them followed the following formula - you approach the animal, the animal kills you. Again and again and again. The block in the patch was a fucking godsend.
Ok then, but in this case he's drawing the wrong conclusion. Why going back to the way Risen handled it when they could implement Gothic style bullfighting instead? Only reason I see is that they indead don't get what made their games great (hint: it's not how relaxing it was playing them from your couch pressing the awesome button on your XBarf controller nonstop ... god how I hate Assassins Creed).

Black_Willow

Arcane
Separated islands? What happened to the huge world of Gothic 3?
Oh, I get it. 8 years of hardware development caused "technical limitations". :M

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This character looks exactly like a Daedra Knight. Again. Since Morrowind this armor style has been copypasted in all other RPGs. Bethesda all over again. As lame as dragons. Bleh.

Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
And yet Risen was on consoles, no issues.

Yeah, but PB wasn't doing the porting, they only focused on PC version and outsorced the Xbox port (which was pretty terrible). Risen 2 however was developed simultaneously by PB for both PC and consoles and suddenly we got corridor islands, don't think that's a coincidence.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Was really looking forward to the first one then massively disappointed by how the game fell apart after the first bit. The second one felt really, dunno, limited and left most of what I loved about the Gothic games (atmosphere, living world) aside. Another disappointment. Can't say that I'm really that interested in believing into the whole 'third time is the charm' thing.

throwaway

Cipher
Don't see much wrong with the armor personally. The armors in Risen looked like the bland ones in Gothic 3 but the one in the artwork reminds me of NH's in Gothic 2's loading screen. Can't beat nostalgia:M

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Please read up on Risen's console port. :)
Yeah, but PB wasn't doing the porting, they only focused on PC version and outsorced the Xbox port (which was pretty terrible). Risen 2 however was developed simultaneously by PB for both PC and consoles and suddenly we got corridor islands, don't think that's a coincidence.
Both of you stop codexing. Risen was surprisingly well done on the Xbox. The negative reviews were actually from the consoletards that couldn't into incline. Risen 3's streamlining will not be due to hardware issues; it will be due to the idiots using the hardware.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Both of you stop codexing. Risen was surprisingly well done on the Xbox. The negative reviews were actually from the consoletards that couldn't into incline. Risen 3's streamlining will not be due to hardware issues; it will be due to the idiots using the hardware.
http://www.gamer.ru/risen/pc-vs-xbox-360-sravnenie-grafiki

Risen's engine can't handle an open world with the 360's memory constraints (without a significant reduction in graphics quality).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
With a mere 25 men team, one has to wonder why Deep Silver even bothered about console versions? Greed? Stupidity? A PC exclusive that takes full advantage of the engine would have sold more than a crippled cross-platform game.

BBMorti

Arcane
With a mere 25 men team, one has to wonder why Deep Silver even bothered about console versions? Greed? Stupidity? A PC exclusive that takes full advantage of the engine would have sold more than a crippled cross-platform game.
I know it is a rhetorical question, but the answer is obviously Greed. Risen 2 was an insult to people who plays on PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom