Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Keu

Novice
Risen 1 has perfect gameplay, it's gothic formula how should be done 8-9 years later. They somehow fucked up with 2 and 3 trying to appeal to console paesants.
You can have some mindless fun with 3 but is uninspired and you can see PB dindn't care about the game, dialogues and characters are worse than 2.

Jinn

Arcane
You can have some mindless fun with 3 but is uninspired and you can see PB dindn't care about the game

This is why I ended up abandoning it even with the improvements of the mod. There was a real lack of soul or passion that I could just feel seeping from it. Left me me feeling teased and hollow inside.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Risen in general was a decent game, the problem is it had no soul, it was just a copy of gothic.
I wouldn't go that far. It had a decent atmosphere and okay-ish world. Not as good as Gothic 1 and 2 but serviceable.

JDR13

Arcane
I enjoyed all the Risen games enought to finsh them, but I agree that Risen 1 was a lot better than the sequels.

Fingers crossed that ELEX marks a return to the style of PB's earlier titles.

Falksi

Arcane
They are all so bad, why do you people like them? The combat is terrible and an RPG with bad combat is worthless.

I found the first an enjoyable game, but yeah agree that the combat really hindered the experience. Still good though, it gets far more stick than it should and I think RPG fans should give it a go.

Now the second game is my personal fave &, whilst again combat is a bit pants, I found playing run & gun actually quite fun. Yeah it still feels a bit pap and gameplay is definitely under par allround, but it's bareable enough to mean it doesn't drag you down, & that you can really enjoy the games best features - it's humour & characters. My own experience with Risen 2 was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Risen 3 was a step backwards from 2 IMO. They'd changed the rifle controls to a more awkward setup, but 3 lost a hell of a lot of charm & humour found in the 2nd. It took itself a bit more serious, and the main character just wasn't voiced as well or interestingly. Plus playing through the same islands felt boring too. Again though, I still thin kthere's plenty in there for RPG lovers to enjoy.

If you want gameplay then something like Skyrim may be better suited to you. But The Risen series is one which satisfies the part of me which yearns for a bit of depth, atmopshere, humour & sense of reward.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ut yeah agree that the combat really hindered the experience. Still good though, it gets far more stick than it should and I think RPG fans should give it a go.

Now the second game is my personal fave &, whilst again combat is a bit pants, I found playing run & gun actually quite fun. Yeah it still feels a bit pap and gameplay is definitely ubder par allround, but it's bareable enough to mean it doesn't drag you down, & that you can really enjoy the games best features - it's humour & characters. My own experience with Risen 2 was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
:whatho:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"How does it compare to Gothic" is an OK question, but a better question is "Is it good?" Risen 1 isn't perfect ... but it is good, and that includes the combat.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
IMO, Risen 3 was significant step up from Risen 2. Glad to see that it has its adherent around here.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is just like Gothic. Gimpy low budget Euro version of Elder Scrolls. I never tried the third one though. I thought the first one was meh, and the second one was terrible.

They are all so bad, why do you people like them? The combat is terrible and an RPG with bad combat is worthless.

How about fuck off and mind your own business.

Why do you care what other people like anyway .
Cuz unless you somehow develop some taste, we are never going to have nice things.

FUDU

Arcane
It is just like Gothic. Gimpy low budget Euro version of Elder Scrolls. I never tried the third one though. I thought the first one was meh, and the second one was terrible.

How about fuck off and mind your own business.

Why do you care what other people like anyway .
Cuz unless you somehow develop some taste, we are never going to have nice things.

So out of the thousands and thousands of games on the market, these 3 are really fucking it up for you.

Stupidest justification ever.

Falksi

Arcane

That's an Angry Joe perspective - all gameplay, no roleplay.

Any of the Risen games have far, FAR more genuine RPG elements to them than Oblivion or Skyrim.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Any of the Risen games have far, FAR more genuine RPG elements to them than Oblivion or Skyrim.

I notice how you don't mention Morrowind... The one from 100 years ago before the entire genre went to complete shit.

So out of the thousands and thousands of games on the market, these 3 are really fucking it up for you.

They really do fuck things up, and I'll explain why. The Bethesda games are well known to be dumb mainstream games for the unwashed masses. They are bad because they are dumb, but they never pretend to be anything else and the kind of people who enjoy them are lost causes anyway, and nobody on sites like this would defend them. But the same isn't true of Gothic and Risen, they are supposed to be worthy alternatives, but they just aren't. They have terrible character building, and terrible combat. So what exactly makes them good games? And are you guys really going to make me pick apart all the things they do that is undeniably terrible?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, don't act like these are the only 3 games anvi ever trashed. He's got a thousand bugs up his ass, not just this one, and he complains about as many as he can make time for. :salute:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Comparing TES to Gothic...

Combat? We may argue that Skyrim's is better, though Gothic's require some skill and with good amount of that you can fight orcs on level 1. Skyrim? Attack>Move back to dodge hit>repeat
Magic? I'd say draw, custom spells for TES with various combinations (well, for Morrowind at least) and Gothic's Ice and Fire rains, various summonings, transforming spells etc.
Story? Only Morrowind is any competition, but I think it's rather preference there.
Characters? Gothic wins, some may argue that Morrowind had some memorable characters which is true, although not as many as Gothic.
Open world? Possibility to find good weapons like in Morrowind yet balanced to not become overpowered by game character progression. World is also constructed better in my opinion, both visualy and by design of encounters/enemies.
Character progression? I don't need to tell you how it works, I may only say that Gothic's works better for Gothic than TES' for TES.
Quests? I think each of TES games had some good ones, but Gothic wins for me beceause quests felt more like real problems, while in TES it didn't fell like that. But it may be beceause Gothic is overall more "mature" than TES.
Lore? Well, TES wins there I think. Gothic doesn't have much of a lore. It isn't that good either.

I think I can end it here, to sum up, Gothic 1/2 had many of entire TES series pros and little of their cons.
Well, I didn't say anything about 3 beceause it's rather shit, but you get my point.

Falksi

Arcane

I notice how you don't mention Morrowind... The one from 100 years ago before the entire genre went to complete shit.

They really do fuck things up, and I'll explain why. The Bethesda games are well known to be dumb mainstream games for the unwashed masses. They are bad because they are dumb, but they never pretend to be anything else and the kind of people who enjoy them are lost causes anyway, and nobody on sites like this would defend them. But the same isn't true of Gothic and Risen, they are supposed to be worthy alternatives, but they just aren't. They have terrible character building, and terrible combat. So what exactly makes them good games? And are you guys really going to make me pick apart all the things they do that is undeniably terrible?

Rightly noticed - Morrowind still remains a beloved game for me, and I'd rank it above all of the previous games mentioned in my post.

Here's a couple of examples of Risen 2's dialogue, it pisses all over the likes of Skyrim and these are just random selections (there are far better conversations in the game, such as Jaffars meeting)..............

Deleted member 7219

Couldn't get past the first 5 minutes of Risen 3. Never have I played a game with such a shitty opening. Fallout 4 is the only other game I can think of that comes close and at least that had a nuke going off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom