Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen gone gold

Monolith

Prophet
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen

The PC version of Risen has gone gold and will be available worldwide on October 2nd, 2009. Here's the official press release I officially snatched from <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#13221">RPGWatch</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Risen PC Goes Gold!
<br>
<br>
RPG from Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver reaches gold master status
<br>
<br>
Hermosa Beach, Calif. - September 18, 2009 - Deep Silver Inc., a publisher of interactive entertainment software and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Koch Media, and the developer Piranha Bytes just announced that the RPG Risen has reached gold status for Windows PC and will be released worldwide on October 2, 2009. The game is expected to be released on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in North America early next year.
<br>
About Risen:
<br>
<br>
This epic role playing game is set in a medieval world on a volcanic Mediterranean island, The "Risen" story unfolds over four chapters and will offer multiple ways to develop the story by his own actions and decisions. An innovative and intuitive user control interface will support both casual and hardcore gamers. With full world streaming support, the player will have a seamless experience while playing in a fully simulated game world with authentic characters.
<br>
<br>
More information about Risen may be found at <a href="http://risen.deepsilver.com">http://risen.deepsilver.com</a></blockquote>

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
I don't know. I used to be excited about Risen, but the more info PB revealed, the more the game started to look like Gothic. Not in the spiritual successor kind of way, but in the "Hey, let's reskin Gothic, sell it again and see if anyone notices!" way. Even factions (Inquisition, Rebels, Mages) are carbon copies of the ones found in Gothic II (Paladins, Mercenaries, Mages).

Nedrah

Erudite
You know, I think they're betting on people taking it as "Gothic 3 as it should have been". Don't know about the rest of the world, but in Germany that would be a huge sales argument.

dragonfk

Erudite
Hümmelgümpf said:
I don't know. I used to be excited about Risen, but the more info PB revealed, the more the game started to look like Gothic. Not in the spiritual successor kind of way, but in the "Hey, let's reskin Gothic, sell it again and see if anyone notices!" way. Even factions (Inquisition, Rebels, Mages) are carbon copies of the ones found in Gothic II (Paladins, Mercenaries, Mages).

I don't mind the similarities. I just love the exploring part of Gothic's and Piranha Bytes seems to provide it to me in the means of Risen. I've seen many people glorifying exploring in Oblivion(with mods) or Two Worlds. But neither comes close to the Gothic-like quality.

Gothic 3's problems weren't in its story or setting, so its absolutely fine if Risen is just a remake in that regard. They just need to put out a game thats better developed, not buggy, not hugely imbalanced (a common wolf is more dangerous then the strongest orc gladiator champion? WTF?) and that doesn't force you to spend half your time staring at the screen waiting for it to stop stuttering.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hümmelgümpf said:
And that's a bad thing because...? The Gothic games has different issues but were pretty good overall. So let them continue doing what they do best. They lost the rights to their own setting, but not the interest in making "Gothic" games.

Geofferic

Educated
Is it just me, or does the link actually just send you right back to rpgcodex??

Shiny

Novice
I'm excited about this as I've always enjoyed PB's games even thought they were buggy as hell. The only time I really got frustrated was when I had to restart Gothic 3 for the third time because of game ending bugs. Otherwise it was fun :)

Monolith

Prophet
Geofferic said:
Is it just me, or does the link actually just send you right back to rpgcodex??
Yeah, thanks. Dunno how that happened, I seem to suck at that HTML thing. :?

ecliptic

Liturgist
A Gothic re-imagining? Bad? HAHAHA. I would buy and play several of them before it got old for me, so that's A-OK!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
And that's a bad thing because...? The Gothic games has different issues but were pretty good overall. So let them continue doing what they do best. They lost the rights to their own setting, but not the interest in making "Gothic" games.
That's a bad thing because I've already bought this game. Twice, in fact. Three times, if you count NotR.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Hümmelgümpf said:
Vault Dweller said:
That's a bad thing because I've already bought this game. Twice, in fact. Three times, if you count NotR.

I don't get it, if it's good it's good.

Luzur

Good Sir
Vault Dweller said:
They lost the rights to their own setting, but not the interest in making "Gothic" games.

what? Piranha bytes lost the right to Gothic? when did this happen?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hümmelgümpf said:
Vault Dweller said:
Wow, Humps, you're like the avatar of coolness. It emanates from you, turning everything into shit.

"That's bad... Because I've already bought it. Like, twice." :badass:

So, Humps, are you like trying to tell me that all 3.5 Gothic games were the same game, basically? I'm eagerly awaiting for your explanation.

Luzur said:
what? Piranha bytes lost the right to Gothic? when did this happen?
Why do you think PB is making Gothic-looking Risen, Gothic 3 add-on was outsourced to India, and Gothic 4 was given to some company that never made an RPG before?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18802
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18803

"JoWooD Productions has talked to possible developing studios for Gothic 4 on PC & consoles for many weeks now. The focus on picking a developing studio is high quality standard and bugfree coding... JoWood is focusing on the console market..."

Texas Red

Whiner
How is the general outlook on Risen? I haven't been following the development. Any reviews out there? Has the char system been revamped? The one in G2 and G1 was quite horrible.

Also, word of advise, Vince. Don't try to mess with Lestat. We know you're cool but messing with Lestat is not wise.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Any reviews out there
Haven't read the review myself, don't know the language, but I've heard that a German mag called Games Aktuell wrote the first review for Risen and gave it an 86/100, calling it a worthy successor to Gothic. So you might try looking that review up.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If only my computer had more than 256 MB RAM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom