Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam from Tripwire Interactive

Modron

Arcane
Back when I played Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm my cpu was actually .16 GHZ below the minimum requirements yet the game ran good I don't see why its' sequel should be poorly optimized. Although you should probably ask beta people about the performance.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Damn, I was stoked by the new video but I realized it's not single player. I have no friends so can't play :(

Lord Rocket

Erudite
you don't need friends if you have populated servers. Source: I have no friends but played RO2 quite a bit a few years ago (just before I burned out completely on computer games for like 3-4 years. These things are not related btw)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You don't play MP games to have friends...... you play them to hear the autistic lament screeching....... REEEEEEEEEEE

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Yeah, if you like torturing 12 year olds then playing online with randoms is great. But I like to duel only with monocled gentlemen.

Latro

Arcane
i still play RO2 from time to time, if viietnam can run on a toaster the same way RS does, i'll try it

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
bUVoS2O.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If I consider the number of presale offers I receive I'm getting suspicious that there is a problem with the game.

Cholo

Arcane
Its a Vietnam shooter without firefights. After coming into contact with the enemy, shooting lasts about a second or two before you or the enemy are dead. Tactics don't matter, weapon selection doesn't matter, just put your irons on the target and click the mouse. Then you do it again.

Oh and there are helicopters that can land around small maps if the pilot isn't a retard.

sser

Arcane
Developer
BE4FB75BEF9878E2ED048F9CE89DABF27456072E

I think it's pretty dope, but with a lot of room for improvement. I don't agree with the above post. There are definitely some thrilling firefights going on in this game, particularly because of the helicopters and heavy arty-usage. Smart squad leaders have more impact than ever, too. Right now the issue is it doesn't run as well as its predecessors and the interface is still super, super duper garbage.

Cholo

Arcane
Nah not really. It was like that before too, very easy to snap shoot with the rifleman class in the previous game. The issue was however limited by the slow rate of fire and small magazines of most weapons. This meant that at longer distances, machine guns and automatic rifles dominated in regards to killing, with smgs offering a real edge up close. The mk42b was an outlier, and was an absolute beast at anything up to 200m, which it should be. As soon as you give everybody in the game modern assault rifles, the cracks start to show.

To their credit, at least games like COD or CS:GO are honest about the main gameplay concept, which is twitch shoot faster than the other guy.

Steve

Augur
Nah not really. It was like that before too, very easy to snap shoot with the rifleman class in the previous game. The issue was however limited by the slow rate of fire and small magazines of most weapons. This meant that at longer distances, machine guns and automatic rifles dominated in regards to killing, with smgs offering a real edge up close. The mk42b was an outlier, and was an absolute beast at anything up to 200m, which it should be. As soon as you give everybody in the game modern assault rifles, the cracks start to show.

Part of the problem was Tripwire's shitty map design, they are almost always way too small and chokepointy for 64 players. The most popular maps have always been the community ones that were large enough to allow the different classes to shine at their specific roles. Now that everybody is running with automatics I find very little reason to play as anything else than as a standard grunt or a radioman if you want smoke grenades.

To their credit, at least games like COD or CS:GO are honest about the main gameplay concept, which is twitch shoot faster than the other guy.

I think that's a misconception of CS:GO. Twitch shooting can only get you so far in CS but at higher levels the game becomes more and more about tactics, communication and teamwork. I'd argue RS2 is more of a twitch shooter because of the high lethality and how ridiculously easy it is to shoot somebody when compared to CS.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Yep - free weekend for everyone. Just click install and it is added your to Steam account.

It's actually pretty nice for what it is (a kids game). Just sucks to learn the controls while other people are on the map. No tutorial or anything.

Graphics are really improved to Rising Storm. No more of that piss brown bullshit, it all looks quite realistic now.

Burning Bridges

So I played "We have lost-A Charlie!" for the weekend :lol:

At first I tried to play it slow lilke Vietcong and never got much into the flow of the game, with constantly changing objectives on the other end of the map, "We are-A taking Charly" "Delta is under attack" "We have-A lost Alpha" etc and the cryptic "Return to the Combat Area". When I had just infiltrated the enemy and thought I could score some sneaky kills ..

Then I tried to stick with my team leader and take objectives. I quickly found the gameplay now basically boiled down to 2-3 guys sneaking in a tunnel, throwing grenades left and right (I have no idea where they got so much ammo) ordering artillery strikes and so on and the enemy at the other side of the tunnel, which I could never make out from my own soldiers. Since I did not want to kill a teammate all I could do was stick behind the leader and basically fire no shots, only if he was killed I had a brief moment of glory. And if I moved away from my squad there would be an comparable enemy squad anticipating me behind the corner, with the inevitable result.

So my impression is that its certainly an enjoyable experience, but one that requires you to learn everything by heart and spend weeks and months before you know whats going on. Since combat is mostly close quarters there is not point to try and learn the game by moving slowly and spotting enemies from very far. If you do that you will only be punished by constant artillery strikes, helicopters, order to return to the combat area, lack of connection to the flow of the battle and so on.

Burning Bridges

Aaaand the open beta ended.

Does anyone know if I can continue playing if I buy it now? Because they kicked me out just when I started enjoying it. I found a good server where people play tactically and my kill/death rate was getting almost 1:1 which was at first unconceivable.

Was a bit of a boner breaker, just a message "Steam decided that you are not authorized to use the server." :lol:

Jinn

Arcane
Aaaand the open beta ended.

Does anyone know if I can continue playing if I buy it now? Because they kicked me out just when I started enjoying it. I found a good server where people play tactically and my kill/death rate was getting almost 1:1 which was at first unconceivable.

Was a bit of a boner breaker, just a message "Steam decided that you are not authorized to use the server."

Unfortunately it seems not. Whenever I try to play it I get a steam error. Strange, I thought they were going to allow us to play until the release. BUMMER!

Sentinel

Arcane
I really enjoyed the closed beta and even open beta despite all the retarded newbies taking TL/SL and teamkilling, but I'm too jewish to spend 20€ on 4 maps, 2 of them shit.

I think I'll keep playing RO2/RS. That game is still the shit, I hope it doesn't die soon.

Jinn

Arcane
I really enjoyed the closed beta and even open beta despite all the retarded newbies taking TL/SL and teamkilling, but I'm too jewish to spend 20€ on 4 maps, 2 of them shit.

Did they say that the full release was only going to be 6 maps? I haven't really been keeping up with the development announcements, but as far as I know there is going to be more. I think I heard 8 or 9 awhile ago, but I can't remember where. Either way, as it stands now I'd say it's worth the current (reasonable) price tag. Had a blast in beta despite running into a few performance and bug issues. Really look forward to playing this when it's in full swing with people who aren't completely new to the series.

Sentinel

Arcane

Did they say that the full release was only going to be 6 maps? I haven't really been keeping up with the development announcements, but as far as I know there is going to be more. I think I heard 8 or 9 awhile ago, but I can't remember where. Either way, as it stands now I'd say it's worth the current (reasonable) price tag. Had a blast in beta despite running into a few performance and bug issues. Really look forward to playing this when it's in full swing with people who aren't completely new to the series.
3 of them are for the Skirmish 16-player mode which nobody plays, and from what I played in the closed beta they're just cut down versions of the other maps, not actually whole new maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom