Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rock Paper Shotgun doesn't play Skullgirls (but talks about how sexist it is)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DefJam101, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/27/impressions-skullgirls/

Apparently he missed the part where half the cast are flat-chested, mutilated amputees and/or zombies. :M

Yeah fuck giving them personality and hopes and dreams the real important thing is to make sure none of them have boobs

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    "Tits are bad. Skin is bad. Women being sexually promiscuous in any way is bad. I've never actually read feminist theory before, but I see a bunch of people preaching this shit on Tumblr, so it must be true."

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    He?

Color me absolutely not suprised.

^ Top  
  4. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    "There was an opportunity here. An opportunity for an entire cast of characters like Peacock, the sanely proportioned and thoroughly ridiculous robot-girl"

Translation: I want a game composed entirely of little girls.

Also, Peacock is insanely unproportional.

^ Top  
  5. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I'm seriously starting to question whether or not this guy has actually ever seen a girl when he thinks Peacock is sanely proportioned.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    He devoted one paragraph talking about fighting games in general, three about the game, three about sexism, then a concluding paragraph. Definitely played the game, though this is kind of a failure of an impressions piece but excellent clickbait. 336 comments, not surprised.

^ Top  
  7. Cool name Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Cool name
    Old news. The acusations of 'sexism' have been going on for years. The answers from the developers to the acusations are much more interesting, and pretty much prove what we all already knew about those kinds of guys.

So, yeah. Virgin beta males gonna virgin beta male.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    "Our lead animator internalizes misogyny on a daily basis."

"One of our VAs would unironically be a fan of Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters if they weren't parody."

Those designs are male gazey as all hell but I don't care because I don't like fighting games. If they make some men uncomfortable, so be it, as long as they aren't trying to speak for other women.

^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    While some of the characters are obviously supposed to invoke a "sexy" image, they are all still very cartoonish. Might as well be offended about Jessica Rabbit and Hello Nurse.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pictured above: patriarchy values

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Gurkog Erudite

Gurkog
    Project: Eternity
    A fighting game revolving around Twilight would probably be popular among the ladies. Team hairy or team sucker, take your pick and battle it out.

^ Top  
  11. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Don't like Skullgirls (No idea why it gets mentioned so much, it's such a poor fighter.), don't like clickbaiting articles.

Well, at least it's not Kotaku and at least Roguey posted a link to Beaton's Strong Female Characters comic. I love those ones.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Common, those virtual social warriors are getting boring. The next big cool thing to be so your meaningless life have some justification is to be a fantasy animals rights protection militant, you know there is a lot of unemployed unicorns out there. There is a clear racism here, someone should warn Andhaira, so he can get a horn to enter on the working quotas program.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  13. dnf Pedophile Dumbfuck Shitposter

dnf
    Militant atheists wants to borrow puritanism, so we end up with shit like that. The term racist gets the same treatment, forgiving poc's sin's by the same way white knights forgives women(moar liek putting them on a pedestal) that are cool with sexy design.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    I doubt, she is lesbian.

Edit: Just found her site: http://kinucakes.tumblr.com

Lots of Internalized Misogyny (TM) :bounce: there.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    ^ Top  
  15. dnf Pedophile Dumbfuck Shitposter

dnf
    What's wrong with internalizing misogyny anyway. It's not like there is a better alternative.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Dr Tomo Learned

Dr Tomo
    Jesus it must suck ass to live a life where you can't watch any anime and aren't allowed to play at least 3/4 of the games on the market. I pity this man, guess it is time for him to jerk off to some indie game like Dear Esther.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    And represent less than half the main cast of the game?

^ Top  
  18. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Been pointed out before, but it's worth pointing out again. Peacock:

[​IMG]

Anyway, this comment is on the mark:

RPS laughs at people concerned about violence in video games, then turns around and gets concerned about sexism in video games. My guess is it's because you can remove breasts and still have your typical slaughterfest, but if you remove violence you lose 95% of what's out there.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  19. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    From the comment section:

I don't really understand why men White Knight like they do. What's even more befuddling to me is how easily tricked they are. For example, the new Lara Croft who is seen as a downplay of the character's original sexuality. Except the new Lara Croft has at least a set of perky double-D's, the same exact ginormous boobs that have gotten her in trouble as always with the feminists, except now with better graphics, and her character is, in my opinion, actually more sexualized than ever before. It's just obfuscated a bit because it comes in the way of character development...

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    I think the point is that since some women in real life have big boobs it's okay for some videogame characters to have big boobs so long as their characters aren't based around having big boobs, which is not the case with Skullgirls. But people would have to, like, play the game to see that.

^ Top  
  21. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    I don't see problem on this.

And new Lara is totally a mary-sue. You can make a mary-sue but not a sex symbol? Lel.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. potatojohn Arcane

potatojohn
    Feminists are the biggest misogynists I've ever seen. Oh, a woman created something I don't like? Must be a victim of the patriarchy because women are incapable of thinking and have no responsibility. They're just objects men act on.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Nah, he can probably get in on the Djinn quota, all he has to do is set himself on fire.
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. I'm not playing Skullgirls either. Probably 'cause of the sexism. Fucking sexists, bros. Ruining games. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    But the character of most women in real life with big boobs is based around having big boobs.

As a minor local celebrity has once said (likely the most witty and intelligent statement of her life): "I have two college degrees, both of DD size". How happens this kind of women, very obviously present in real life, are suddenly "sexist" to be represented in games?

tl;dr: women are whores, and so should be vidyagame women too.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.