Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rock Paper Shotgun doesn't play Skullgirls (but talks about how sexist it is)

DefJam101

Arcane
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/27/impressions-skullgirls/

There was an opportunity here. An opportunity for an entire cast of characters like Peacock, the sanely proportioned and thoroughly ridiculous robot-girl. An opportunity for fighting poses that are good for something other than predominantly showing bouncing breasts. An opportunity for a collection of stories that end with powerful women actually in control of their destiny, rather than a slave to a nameless god or mafia boss. An opportunity not to have fucking measurement statistics on the official character pages.

I didn’t want the art of Skullgirls to overshadow my writing on it, but it overshadows the game. It’s omnipresent, requiring actual effort to get a screenshot not containing someone’s heaving bosom. I would love to see these characters redesigned, super-heroine style, to be sexy but inoffensive. No matter what I may think of the final product, there is very obviously an incredibly talented art team here. From backgrounds to special effects, it’s lovingly rendered, I just wish it had been done with a little more respect.
Apparently he missed the part where half the cast are flat-chested, mutilated amputees and/or zombies. :M

Each has such wonderful personality, such charm in their dialogue and backstory that you’d need to be cold-hearted not to smile.
Yeah fuck giving them personality and hopes and dreams the real important thing is to make sure none of them have boobs

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
"Tits are bad. Skin is bad. Women being sexually promiscuous in any way is bad. I've never actually read feminist theory before, but I see a bunch of people preaching this shit on Tumblr, so it must be true."

Tehdagah

Arcane
"There was an opportunity here. An opportunity for an entire cast of characters like Peacock, the sanely proportioned and thoroughly ridiculous robot-girl"

Translation: I want a game composed entirely of little girls.

Also, Peacock is insanely unproportional.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm seriously starting to question whether or not this guy has actually ever seen a girl when he thinks Peacock is sanely proportioned.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He devoted one paragraph talking about fighting games in general, three about the game, three about sexism, then a concluding paragraph. Definitely played the game, though this is kind of a failure of an impressions piece but excellent clickbait. 336 comments, not surprised.

Cool name

Arcane
Old news. The acusations of 'sexism' have been going on for years. The answers from the developers to the acusations are much more interesting, and pretty much prove what we all already knew about those kinds of guys.

"Our lead animator is a woman," lead designer at Reverge Peter Bartholow told Eurogamer. "She intentionally lavishes attention on the breasts herself because she thinks it's cool. All the people who seem bothered by it are guys. It's a weird chivalry intent thing that's sort of misplaced and maybe shallow, even, because they see breasts and panty flashes and they go, that's sexist, but I've yet to meet a woman who has complained about it. They're over-thinking it.

(...)

"I'm like, did you know our lead animator is a woman? Then he's like, that's amazing. It's like I gave him the excuse to think it was okay all of a sudden, or to admit he liked it, which really amused me and seemed emblematic of the entire situation around that."

I am the Voice actress who plays Parasoul in the game Skullgirls. I consider myself very pro active in my participation in women’s rights. I own the game and I play it regularly. I don’t feel for one second that this game is sexist. Sexism is not defined by skimpy outfits. Sexism is defined by the dictionary as prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

This game is not doing any of these things. unless you believe Skullgirls is creating the stereotype that ass kicking women have tremendously pendulous breasts. In that case, every anime series can be accused of the same thing.

Not once do these characters have to use their sexuality to get ahead. They don’t have to say demeaning things lowering their self worth. They don’t even make sexual references in the dialogue. They are not in need of men to handle their business. This is a kick ass fighting game using ALL FEMALE CHARACTERS people!

So, yeah. Virgin beta males gonna virgin beta male.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Our lead animator internalizes misogyny on a daily basis."

"One of our VAs would unironically be a fan of Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters if they weren't parody."

Those designs are male gazey as all hell but I don't care because I don't like fighting games. If they make some men uncomfortable, so be it, as long as they aren't trying to speak for other women.

I didn’t want the art of Skullgirls to overshadow my writing on it, but it overshadows the game. It’s omnipresent, requiring actual effort to get a screenshot not containing someone’s heaving bosom. I would love to see these characters redesigned, super-heroine style, to be sexy but inoffensive. No matter what I may think of the final product, there is very obviously an incredibly talented art team here. From backgrounds to special effects, it’s lovingly rendered, I just wish it had been done with a little more respect.

While some of the characters are obviously supposed to invoke a "sexy" image, they are all still very cartoonish. Might as well be offended about Jessica Rabbit and Hello Nurse.

tumblr_mlsssa8L9w1rwcs6vo1_500.gif
tumblr_lnd2icNjRJ1qi1u7to1_500.gif

Pictured above: patriarchy values

Last edited:

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
A fighting game revolving around Twilight would probably be popular among the ladies. Team hairy or team sucker, take your pick and battle it out.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Don't like Skullgirls (No idea why it gets mentioned so much, it's such a poor fighter.), don't like clickbaiting articles.

Well, at least it's not Kotaku and at least Roguey posted a link to Beaton's Strong Female Characters comic. I love those ones.

tumblr_lni68fFVgF1qzvsguo1_r1_500.gif

DeepOcean

Arcane
Common, those virtual social warriors are getting boring. The next big cool thing to be so your meaningless life have some justification is to be a fantasy animals rights protection militant, you know there is a lot of unemployed unicorns out there. There is a clear racism here, someone should warn Andhaira, so he can get a horn to enter on the working quotas program.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Militant atheists wants to borrow puritanism, so we end up with shit like that. The term racist gets the same treatment, forgiving poc's sin's by the same way white knights forgives women(moar liek putting them on a pedestal) that are cool with sexy design.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
What's wrong with internalizing misogyny anyway. It's not like there is a better alternative.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Jesus it must suck ass to live a life where you can't watch any anime and aren't allowed to play at least 3/4 of the games on the market. I pity this man, guess it is time for him to jerk off to some indie game like Dear Esther.

almondblight

Arcane
An opportunity for an entire cast of characters like Peacock, the sanely proportioned and thoroughly ridiculous robot-girl.

Peacock, the sanely proportioned

Been pointed out before, but it's worth pointing out again. Peacock:

peacock.png

Anyway, this comment is on the mark:

Let’s be honest though. Violence is far more ubiquitous in videogames. Collectively, we defend it. As gamers we plead that in an artistic medium this is merely a form of expression. Yet we are not intellectually honest enough to defend jiggletits for the same reasons, because apparently big titties are far more reprehensible than any depiction of exploding a man’s limbs, face, or testicles (lookin’ at you Sniper Elite).

Admit it, games journos. You are a bunch of hacks discussing things that are way out of your depth. The majority of the people who write about games are down there with the lads from The Sun and Nuts/Zoo magazine at the end of the day; just because you fancy yourself the Guardian doesn’t make it so.

RPS laughs at people concerned about violence in video games, then turns around and gets concerned about sexism in video games. My guess is it's because you can remove breasts and still have your typical slaughterfest, but if you remove violence you lose 95% of what's out there.

sser

Arcane
Developer
From the comment section:

“Our lead animator is a woman,” lead designer at Reverge Peter Bartholow told Eurogamer. “She intentionally lavishes attention on the breasts herself because she thinks it’s cool. All the people who seem bothered by it are guys. It’s a weird chivalry intent thing that’s sort of misplaced and maybe shallow, even, because they see breasts and panty flashes and they go, that’s sexist, but I’ve yet to meet a woman who has complained about it. They’re over-thinking it.

“I’m like, did you know our lead animator is a woman? Then he’s like, that’s amazing. It’s like I gave him the excuse to think it was okay all of a sudden, or to admit he liked it, which really amused me and seemed emblematic of the entire situation around that.

I don't really understand why men White Knight like they do. What's even more befuddling to me is how easily tricked they are. For example, the new Lara Croft who is seen as a downplay of the character's original sexuality. Except the new Lara Croft has at least a set of perky double-D's, the same exact ginormous boobs that have gotten her in trouble as always with the feminists, except now with better graphics, and her character is, in my opinion, actually more sexualized than ever before. It's just obfuscated a bit because it comes in the way of character development...

DefJam101

Arcane
I think the point is that since some women in real life have big boobs it's okay for some videogame characters to have big boobs so long as their characters aren't based around having big boobs, which is not the case with Skullgirls. But people would have to, like, play the game to see that.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I think the point is that since some women in real life have big boobs it's okay for some videogame characters to have big boobs so long as their characters aren't based around having big boobs, which is not the case with Skullgirls. But people would have to, like, play the game to see that.
I don't see problem on this.

And new Lara is totally a mary-sue. You can make a mary-sue but not a sex symbol? Lel.

potatojohn

Arcane
Feminists are the biggest misogynists I've ever seen. Oh, a woman created something I don't like? Must be a victim of the patriarchy because women are incapable of thinking and have no responsibility. They're just objects men act on.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm not playing Skullgirls either. Probably 'cause of the sexism. Fucking sexists, bros. Ruining games. :M

mondblut

Arcane
I think the point is that since some women in real life have big boobs it's okay for some videogame characters to have big boobs so long as their characters aren't based around having big boobs

But the character of most women in real life with big boobs is based around having big boobs.

As a minor local celebrity has once said (likely the most witty and intelligent statement of her life): "I have two college degrees, both of DD size". How happens this kind of women, very obviously present in real life, are suddenly "sexist" to be represented in games?

tl;dr: women are whores, and so should be vidyagame women too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom