Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rogue Trader predictions

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
  1. It's gonna have trash combat like Wrath and majority of Kingmaker. Kingmaker had few well designed boss fights, but the vast majority of encounters in both games = mowing down enemies like in PST or some RTS. This is TB now however so I expect at least a tad more encounter design.
  2. Pushy mandatory annoying companions. Pretty much the staple of the genre now, don't doubt this in the slightest.
  3. Some minigame to drive the MQ that cannot be avoided. As usual it will be barebone and shallow. Previously Paizo wanted it and now there won't be Paizo around, however if this ends up being crowdfunded there is 1000% chance of high amount of feature bloat. Plus these pozzed ruskies probably believe they are good at it and that they are moving the genre forward, so they may go for it anyway.
  4. Bunch of deviant SJW pozz. Now a given with their history.
  5. Gonna ruin Wh40k for everybody with cartooniness and infantile art direction. We saw the 2D art and trailer.
  6. Class bloat. I expect a bunch of useless classes, archetypes and powers and most (sub)classes to feel samey like in Pathfinder. Maybe less so than in PF but I maintain Owlcat cant design characteristically strong distinct classes.

I could be wrong about 1, 3, 6, but 2 and 4 are gonna happen for sure. 5 probably pains me the most.

Anyway I expect to be right at least about 4/6 of these predictions.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Pushy mandatory annoying companions. Pretty much the staple of the genre now, don't doubt this in the slightest.
I hate this shit so goddamn much. Baldur's Gate really did it the best, even if I don't like a companion I only have to meet them once and then ignore them the rest of the game if I want to. Killing them isn't needed either as they'll fuck off to some corner if I change my mind later. No forced part of the narrative or gameplay mechanics, no "you'll have to let them join or you'll miss out on base defence or some random bonuses" crap. Make them plain simple companions that you can ignore without gimping your gameplay whatsoever if you want to.

Stoned Ape

Savant
2. No party member in the Pathfinder games is mandatory after the tutorial. You can solo the games after that if you want to. I don't see why this would be any different.

3. It will be starship based upgrading + ship to ship combat. All is in the tabletop ruleset that they are supposedly basing the game from, so they at least have a decent foundation.

4. I expect they probably won't include as much SJW stuff as Pathfinder as GW is not Paizo and so doesn't have as much baked into the setting. I expect there to be some shoehorned in to get positive media feedback, though.

5. WotR also had a cringy 2D cartoony trailer, but the in-game cut scenes were all in-engine. I'd expect the same here.

6. Categorically impossible if they're basing it from the RT tabletop system as they have suggested.

If they adapt the TT rules with minimal changes the combat should be pretty good and deep. Depends if they can finally get a decent AI up and running, though (which is, I think, their weakest point in both Pathfinder games).

So I think at least one of your predictions will be completely wrong (6), and (2, 3 and 5) are likely to be as well. I'm not sure about 1 yet, could go either way. There probably be at least some SJW stuff forced in somewhere, though but I'd expect it to be less prevalent.

Humanophage

Arcane
I'd say only 4 and 5 are real problems, and they'll ruin companions as well.

The rest are non-issues. If companions per se are such a problem, encounter design in RTwP is so bad, and the class system is not elegant enough, why be upset at one of the very few games that do such things and not just play one of the dozens of TB squad tactics?

In particular, 6 is such an odd issue to have. Having more nuanced variety on top of basic variety isn't a bad thing.

Stoned Ape

Savant
GW is arguably just as pozzed as Paizo lad

GW is certainly not what it was. Age of shitmar has ruined the lore on the fantasy side and 40k has definitely gone rapidly downhill (pretty much from the point they introduced Thunderwolf cavalry). I think most of the problem is them renaming everything to protect their IP against copyright infringement and making everything sound stupid in the process. However, if they were at the same level as Paizo we'd already have female space marines and the emperor would be trans.

Saduj

Arcane
Do the Pathfinder games allow for full party creation or is the only option one player created PC plus companions?

I didn't play POE but I did play POE2. Didn't know or care who any of the NPCs from the first game were. I had them on my ship and they would spawn randomly for ship to ship fights. I did a few of the NPC quests, because autism, by swapping in an NPC at the appropriate location. But I made my own characters as soon as I could afford it and used them for 95% of the game. Really appreciated the option to have the party comp I wanted and not having to listen to constant references to events from the first game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just going by the trailer alone, it's neither the british parody of early 40k or the oppressive grimdark of mid 40k, but probably the shitty toned-down modern 40k we see in everything recently.

I want to be an ultra-capitalist space pirate committing casual xenocide, not standard protagonist 14#.

Camel

Scholar
3. Some minigame to drive the MQ that cannot be avoided. As usual it will be barebone and shallow. Previously Paizo wanted it and now there won't be Paizo around, however if this ends up being crowdfunded there is 1000% chance of high amount of feature bloat. Plus these pozzed ruskies probably believe they are good at it and that they are moving the genre forward, so they may go for it anyway.
Source?
4.Bunch of deviant SJW pozz. Now a given with their history.
That's a given considering current Warhammer40k lore and Games Workshop not to mention Owlcat.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Do the Pathfinder games allow for full party creation or is the only option one player created PC plus companions?

I didn't play POE but I did play POE2. Didn't know or care who any of the NPCs from the first game were. I had them on my ship and they would spawn randomly for ship to ship fights. I did a few of the NPC quests, because autism, by swapping in an NPC at the appropriate location. But I made my own characters as soon as I could afford it and used them for 95% of the game. Really appreciated the option to have the party comp I wanted and not having to listen to constant references to events from the first game.
In both Pathfinder games, you can create your own mercenaries, although it costs money. You can also reject any comnpanions after tyhe prologue.

Harthwain

Magister
That's a given considering current Warhammer40k lore and Games Workshop not to mention Owlcat.
What is the "current Warhammer40k lore"? I can't recall a WH40K game (or Games Workshop game) I saw or played that was heavy on SJW themes. What I am missing?

Stoned Ape

Savant
What is the "current Warhammer40k lore"? I can't recall a WH40K game (or Games Workshop game) I saw or played that was heavy on SJW themes. What I am missing?

Exactly. The only point people have been able to make so far is that there is an adeptus machanicus that uses some unnecessary gender-neutral pronouns in a novel.

The decline in GW lore has less to do with SJWs and more to do with protecting their IP so their lawyers have an easier time to sue for copyright infringement, and hiring less accomplished writers with shitty naming sense.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
1. Agree. Very probable considering it was an issue already in P:K and worse (according to most, i only played a couple of hours) in WotR, or at best not better.

2. This. I hope they'll keep the alternative option.

3. Yeah but i can live with it.

4. Certainly. How much is to be seen. But not a small amount, that's fore sure. See 7.

5. Don't care as much some other people here. The problem is not "ruining" but making it crap instead of entertaining + silly.

6. No problem at all. Especially if on level of Kingmaker. A few useless sub-classes, so what?

luj1 you forgot two more:

7. There will be hundreds of pages of bad writing.

8. It will be unplayable due to bugs at launch and possibly never fully fixed even later.

Still, i'm not completely without hope. Who knows, miracles happen.

Sarathiour

Cipher
hiring less accomplished writers with shitty naming sense.

I did not read any wh40k novel, but from what I gather it's currently going to suffer the same fate as D&D novelisation or mtg : more and more shitty writer publishing what amount to fanfiction, expect their backed-up by an official IP this time. So you're going to end up with more weird pronouns and sassy powerful black womxn, because emperor forbids you have any sort of interesting thing going on in your fanfiction.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this is equivalent to greenlighting saerlith and chloe as part of baldur's gate canon.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My prediction : 95% of Codex will say that is shit and 95% of Codex will buy and crank up over 100 hours on it.

IDK much about sjWH40k from games WOKEshop to make a better prediction.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My prediction : 95% of Codex will say that is shit and 95% of Codex will buy and crank up over 100 hours on it.

IDK much about sjWH40k from games WOKEshop to make a better prediction.

It won't be 95% but it'll be shilled like it is.

It's like people here have never been in the Cyberpunk thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom