Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://steamcommunity.com/games/872410/announcements/detail/1715242454857049272

The Scenario Yellow Turban Rebellion

[Echigoya P]
Hello everyone!

From this week, I will talk about the scenarios covered in this game.

a761575a8fcce8b67fa87e3ee4d2847f52f3cd26.png

The first scenario I’ll talk about is the Yellow Turban Rebellion. This is a large-scale rebellion caused by the followers of the Way of Peace lead by its founder Zhang Jiao. It was a direct catalyst in the destruction of the long lasting Han Dynasty.

At this time, He Jin, the Empress's older brother, was appointed to grand general of the Han dynasty. For the sake of simplicity, he is treated as a Ruler in the game. Since he was appointed because of his blood ties, it is doubtful if he had the ability to control this situation, but under his command he had talented officers such as Lu Zhi, Huangfu Song and Zhu Jun who fought well and suppressed the rebellion in a short time compared to its scale. The rebellion uprising began in February and was suppressed in October, so it lasted about six months.

Zhu Jun is described as a competent officer in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, but he is often portrayed as incompetent in RTK works in Japan, including the novel by Eiji Yoshikawa. I also had carried this impression of Zhu Jun based on his portrayal in the RTK mangas by Mitsuteru Yokoyama, and considered Zhu Jun incompetent until I joined this company... ;) Here are the officer images of the founder Zhang Jiao, and Zhu Jun, with my apologies (?) for the misunderstanding.

c059b5eb432bf8fab0e6c090ab87160f31b0ec4d.jpg

159906eb61c2c5a21f0fbb6dcaaed35915914e70.jpg

The decline of the Han Dynasty became apparent with this rebellion. Regional powerful individuals such as Dong Zhuo take advantage of this situation and form independent forces. The Peach Garden Oath, where Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei swore their brotherhood, take place around this time and is the beginning of the story of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. This event is shown at the start of this scenario.

Looking at the layout diagram, it may seem that forces appears to be clustered to the north. The central unifying force, called “Zhongyuan”, was overwhelming, and the area around Wu and Shu was still buried in the shadow of the times. The regional powerful individuals also shared the goal to conquer Zhongyuan.

I’ll continue to introduce stories related to each scenario in this way.
Until next time!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yellow turban scenario is a boring one sided conflict that is severely overrated and can never really explain how the warlords fracture the empire without heavy handed event to relocate the new powers across the map in game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yellow turban scenario is a boring one sided conflict that is severely overrated and can never really explain how the warlords fracture the empire without heavy handed event to relocate the new powers across the map in game.

In the strategy ROTK (like XII and the older games) have you tried playing Yellow Turban and win? Diplomacy is usually near impossible due to you being hit with negative relations with pretty much all faction

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is out now for Japan and Asia:

And early reviews are... mostly negative. Most negatives reviews complain that 30fps lock, and then heavy stuttering and freezing even on high-end hardware, for that graphics.

Koei, butch PC port even if it was from traditionally PC-oriented series. Delayed English release is a grace I guess.

(Also apparently Chinese voice is coming to Steam down the line.)

Tigranes

Arcane
Pros: 1. Best tutorial ever! good job.
2. Good BGM.
3. Elegant game logic.

Cons: 1. The quality of start-film is so poor. PLS! At that moment, no green/red/blue SMOG in China!!!
2. FPS is locked under 30 I believe. my video card: GTX 2080 Super.
3. uhmm not met my expectation....

Why give this kind of retard any credence? We'll see if the actual gameplay is OK or not.

FPS lock doesn't bother me in a turn based strategy game.

EDIT: there is one nice review:

You will return this game while the wine is still warm.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh wow, yeah.

Seems like quite a few people refunding/downvoting due to crashes and such. Honestly, it's a wonder that KOEI can actually put out any kind of code that even compiles. Just can't seem to create a serviceable piece of software.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Was thinking about picking this up but then saw the negative reviews. Anyone know if the performance/crashing issues are as bad as the reviews suggest?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would like to get reviews based on the mechanics, if the technical problems are so blatant, they are going to fix them for sure.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like most of the performance issue is due the fact that KOEI didn't set the game to automatically use your better GPU (Nvidia/Radeon) on PC with dual GPU (which is usually standard Intel GPU carried by Motherboard).

Tigranes

Arcane
Some things I'm hearing about gameplay:

• Some care has really gone into making terrain important, Shu homeland is actually a big deal to assault due to terrain now etc
  • City management is far more automated compared to 11 which can be nice, but it can also leave you twiddling thumbs
  • AI still retarded
It's so fucking hard to find impressions about actually, like, empire building or combat, because the internet is currently full of angry dudes refunding after 110 minutes talking about how shit ass 20 years behind mobile trash the graphics / UI / optimisation is. (Which is true, but we all knew that already.)

One dude mentions a few nice things like the return of RTK5 formations (already known), ability to get 'barbarians' to attack rivals, 'harder' sieges - but then seems like dude also thought 12/13 are playable, so.

Indranys

Savant
Looks like they stop posting another dev interview with English subtitle in their youtube channel.
Dammit Koei, stop this bullshit and give us the long promised explanation about the mechanics already!

Their incompetence is killing me men.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
English demo: https://steamcommunity.com/games/872410/announcements/detail/1717497419964896880

English demo is now available! (limited time only)

b64a599c061bde7c8bc2ea60458d725c5bebfabc.png

KOEI TECMO’s iconic franchise returns, and for a limited time, fans will be able to play through a free trial of this epic strategy experience. Gamers can choose to play as either the Cao Cao, Liu Bei, or Sun Jian faction through 36 turns (one year in game time). The trial will be available in English only, and won’t be available in the following regions: Japan, Korea, Mainland China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong.

Fans who play through the trial won’t be able to transfer save data into the full version, and since the game is still under development, the trial might have known bugs or errors that will be different from the final version of the game. Also, the trial will be available until March 12th.

No customer support will be available for the trial, but if players have questions, please contact support@koeitecmoamerica.com

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
English version is out now: https://steamcommunity.com/games/872410/announcements/detail/1722002289852377820

The English version is out today!

dc80f6f8c1741d5be4a4b63c06620c718ff34db0.jpg

The English version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV is out today!

In celebration of the game's release, a launch discount of 10% for the game is available for a limited time. And for two weeks starting today, the Battle of Yiling and The Start of Change DLC is available for free. Also, the free English language demo is still available, but only until March 12.

Take this chance to try out RTK 14!

Also videos:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Expansion pack is coming on December in Japan, early next year in West.

Tigranes

Arcane
why don't they just do rotk 11 but better

They seem obsesed with reinventing the formulal in terrible ways every iteration

Not that I'm confident they could actually improve on, say, 11, if they tried. They'd probably just make it similar but worse/sideways, like Total War.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The expansion is out now in Japan, also met with mostly negative reviews. They seem to complain that the additions are miniscule for the price.

Koei also sells Season Pass 2 for more ore less same price btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom