Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Thorakitai

Learned
Can anyone confirm if this new graphics feature is true?

The remaster now has a feature where troop ethnicity is determined by where you recruit them from. If you pull troops from Africa, they will look African. If you pull troops from the Middle-East, they will look Middle-Eastern, and so forth.

Even the cynic in me is impressed by this actual effort.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know if you've played Roma Surrectum II before? the texture work on that mod was fantastic puts this remaster to shame tbh especially on the vegetation and buildings front. I think RS2 is the best looking RTW mod but its not the best in terms of gameplay though it does do a good job at keeping you on your toes and the AI is very challenging I'm just not a big fan of it on a mechanic level though because when playing as Rome it can feel like the games ganging up on you. That mods gonna be a nightmare to port over to the new engine tbh.

I remember some guy on YouTube loving it, but I've not tried it. Why would it be so bad to port over? Is the engine itself that different? I thought they'd just carried over the tidied up codebase from Feral's mobile/tablet ports for the most part, and added a bunch of QoL stuff.

I understand that it'd be difficult to port over anything that affected the original game files, but assumed that anything that relied on having its own mod folder wouldn't be too much trouble, any UI stuff aside. Is that not the case with RS2?

RS2's changes are too massive for a modfolder even. It's the only major mod that isn't modfoldered but changes the base game directory.

Norfleet

They do not anymore. In the last few years you won't believe how many men would find offensive seiing big tits female characters in games.
But do those people even buy games to begin with, or just scream about how they won't buy a thing they weren't actually interested in in the first place? I would have to see proof that this somehow doesn't sell to its traditional audience, despite, or perhaps even because of, the screaming.

Because if this is what the audience actually wants, someone screeching about it would surely straight up tell them that this is the thing to get. I mean, think about it: If you want a certain thing, and someone is screeching on the Internet about how the game contains exactly the thing you want and THEY HATE IT...what do you do?

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
Can anyone confirm if this new graphics feature is true?

The remaster now has a feature where troop ethnicity is determined by where you recruit them from. If you pull troops from Africa, they will look African. If you pull troops from the Middle-East, they will look Middle-Eastern, and so forth.

Even the cynic in me is impressed by this actual effort.

:deathclaw:
We're getting negro Hannibal, aren't we?
hannibal-barca-image-1.jpg

A horse of course

Honestly not a big fan of the new models. The classic ones have that simple early 00s charm, the new ones look like rejected Rome 2 models.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It came out minutes ago and Edward still beat me to it...

JarlFrank, maybe this means a mod like Roma Surrectum is portable after all?

Dunno whether to take all this negativity as Just Codex Being Codex or something actually substantial. But anyone who has experience with Feral Interactive ought to be optimistic about this imo — they routinely go far beyond the minimum requirement, and are almost certainly the reason that we’re finally getting official support for the emergent factions in BI. Their phone/tablet version of RTW was objectively better than the Steam version in terms of content and performance on modern hardware.

We're getting negro Hannibal, aren't we?
‘African’ isn’t a synonym for ‘black’.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think CA have ever portrayed Hannibal as black so far. He looked Mediterranean in all the Rome 2 cinematics and artwork.

A horse of course

I don't think CA have ever portrayed Hannibal as black so far. He looked Mediterranean in all the Rome 2 cinematics and artwork.

They portrayed him as either white or "kinda tanned", which has been the standard depiction of Hannibal for a while. What I mean is that they might decide something dumb like make troops recruited in north africa all black/"brown" or something.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

They portrayed him as either white or "kinda tanned", which has been the standard depiction of Hannibal for a while. What I mean is that they might decide something dumb like make troops recruited in north africa all black/"brown" or something.

Yeah true. Most commonly you see that with Numidians, I assume because artists see north African in the description and assume black skin. CA actually portrayed Numidian units quite realistically in the original Rome.

Probably doesn't help all that WE WUZ KANGZ nonsense floating around that confuses the uninformed.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think CA had every any "racism" problem to portray people who weren't a certain color another... they only have a problem of more and more popamole gameplay.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Videos are fine and all, but I figured you fine lads would appreciate the actual answers from Feral in today's Q&A. There might be a duplicate or two, but I'm a bit short on time today.

4a72fc1373677855.png

665cdd1373677859.png

ce1d911373677861.png

bb21e11373677863.png

18e8f51373677866.png

94dd0c1373677871.png

92a0471373677880.png

b6a71f1373677882.png

ee26eb1373677885.png

e97cc51373677889.png

3db2461373677891.png

9fe2fa1373677895.png

075c941373677898.png

9540a21373677904.png

5f1a721373677906.png

91373a1373677909.png

34f6121373677911.png

6211901373677921.png

51a33a1373677928.png

3c3b491373677935.png

f5aef51373677940.png

304c431373677946.png

8bacdf1373677951.png

0443421373677956.png

bf15a11373677967.png

14dc961373677972.png

ea20891373677979.png

2a653e1373677983.png

2090b81373677987.png

c261e11373677992.png

1122961373677996.png

3542e81373678001.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I don't think CA had every any "racism" problem to portray people who weren't a certain color another... they only have a problem of more and more popamole gameplay.

Medniggers were buttmad that the Germans and Gauls were noticeably taller than the Romans in R2. :lol:

Borian

FAQ available in English and Simplified Chinese?
I wish I had more to say about it, but CA has taken the words from my mouth and put a dick in there instead. They peaked at Medieval 2. Funny, some would say that 2006/2007 was the end of incline. You'd come to believe that if you were a fan of this company's older games. Shogun 2, bless it, is great, but it's not Medieval 2. The WH games are enjoyable but the design of all their games after Fall of the Samurai inspire the mental image of a fish wildly flopping around on the deck of a boat. Just a bunch of fucking has-beens. Still a day one purchase for me. Mostly because I want the same for Medieval 2.
I'm interested in an Empire remaster. That game is suffering to play. It's also suffering to try to play it.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
But there's no reason to think this, no indication of anything of the sort; this kinda running away with deliberately colourful interpretations of a single word is exactly the kinda routine shit that makes this whole forum a laughing stock so often.

FAQ available in English and Simplified Chinese?
I wish I had more to say about it, but CA has taken the words from my mouth and put a dick in there instead.
dude, fucking chill already, random chinese g*mer is more like you than most of the world's population. stop being afraid of strangers. i could barely fake a more melodramatic reaction if i tried.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
To all people saying its shit -stop nostalgia fagging.
It's pretty insane given they can literally play it near 1:1 with original gameplay (unless people appreciate horribly stretched 4:3 images more than native 21:9 support, or somehow value having an .exe made for single core CPUs).

No one is forcing y'all to buy it if you're happy with the original version.

Last edited:

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
‘African’ isn’t a synonym for ‘black’.
But there's no reason to think this, no indication of anything of the sort; this kinda running away with deliberately colourful interpretations of a single word is exactly the kinda routine shit that makes this whole forum a laughing stock so often.
We know North Africans aren't black, the problem is Hannibal is seen as a great African general and to some peoples that means black. Even if you point out the flaws in their position most still double down because they cherish 'their' culture so much. It'd be almost admirable if it wasn't so stupid.

Of course I don't really think CA are going to put black Hannibal in, but 2021 has far higher odds of it happening than should be the case.

Most commonly you see that with Numidians, I assume because artists see north African in the description and assume black skin.
That one's been a trope for decades, best I can tell it started with someone mistaking Numidians as being closely related to Nubians. Some fanciful descriptions of liby-phonecians didn't help matters when judging the ethnicity in the region.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
maybe this means a mod like Roma Surrectum is portable after all?
My point wasn't so much that its possible, my point was whether or not CA is going to continue their rather idiotic stance of anything outside of a modfolder is reverse engineering. You'd like to hope that this re-release won't suffer from that policy but knowing CA Thar's DLC money to be made!

Dunno whether to take all this negativity as Just Codex Being Codex
I'm waiting for you to say "well you all just don't like video games" or "you all don't like fun".

In terms of the race arguments just remember that Rome 1 had Kemetic Egyptians and 10 foot Germans lol. It's kind of not even worthy of debate tbh because we know CA are hypocrites and "mods will fix it".

No one is forcing y'all to buy it if you're happy with the original version.
CA removed the original version from sale so if you're a new customer they actually are.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
We know North Africans aren't black, the problem is Hannibal is seen as a great African general and to some peoples that means black. Even if you point out the flaws in their position most still double down because they cherish 'their' culture so much. It'd be almost admirable if it wasn't so stupid.

Of course I don't really think CA are going to put black Hannibal in, but 2021 has far higher odds of it happening than should be the case.

I mean that's my problem, whether others are silly enough to let w0ke-politik lead them to obvious historical errors is one thing, but CA is hardly going to do it. Indulging in reeeee'ing over the general state of things is fine sometimes but it's a dumb thing to let become the focus of this thread (like when BG3's thread went over for tens of pages focused on how it was a bloody "cuck sim" all because one of the characters was mildly non-monogamous).

My point wasn't so much that its possible, my point was whether or not CA is going to continue their rather idiotic stance of anything outside of a modfolder is reverse engineering. You'd like to hope that this re-release won't suffer from that policy but knowing CA Thar's DLC money to be made!

Wasn't replying to you dude. I mean whatever they're doing it's more than the original game allowed apparently, so after that point it's a bit irrelevant exactly how far it goes.

I'm waiting for you to say "well you all just don't like video games" or "you all don't like fun".

Yawn.

CA removed the original version from sale so if you're a new customer they actually are.
Kinda deliberately missing the point -- i.e. that all the old time TW fans have a copy and, nevermind that, they can pirate it.

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I mean that's my problem, whether others are silly enough to let w0ke-politik lead them to obvious historical errors is one thing, but CA is hardly going to do it

Hmm. This is the company that added female generals to Rome 2 in an update, probably because the internal culture has correspondingly changed since the original release. They also took the chance to score points by saying “if you don’t like it, don’t play.” :smug:

Blatantly ahistorical race driven by an agenda rather than ignorance or rule of cool wouldn’t be a huge surprise if CA were making this. I doubt these types of people would be interested in working for feral, though, since it’s just work there.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom