Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Melcar

Arcane
I just hope this sells well enough for them to give windows a proper 64 bit port of Medieval 2.

I don't really care about any of the other changes they make, I just want to be able to play Third Age Total War and Stainless Steel with 100% stability.

I played tons of Stainless Steel without any crashes on Windows 7. Works fine for me.

On huge unit sizes? The game is "mostly" stable on large.

I've never been able to play Stainless Steel reliably on huge unit sizes on Windows 7 or 10. You get the dreaded "sorry, something went wrong" error if battles go on for too long as the game runs out of memory. The 4gb LAA patch helps a little bit.
Frankly why would you want to use huge unit sizes? In these old games, rising unit sizes should rise upkeep. Otherwise it's only cosmetic candy. IIRC game is balanced to medium unit sizes anyway.
Fuck that. I want maximum carnage and huge piles of dead bodies everywhere.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WH2 allows carnage and huge piles everywhere. And you have goblin suicide bombers.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Anyone else feel like the unit movement speed on standard speed is way faster than it was in normal edition? I played it recently and this feels like the dudes are warping around map. Then the half-speed is almoust like former speed but still slower, like 2/3 slower than the old normal
I don't think movement speed is altered, but I'm unsure if the battle maps are slightly smaller or if they just appear that way since you can zoom further out compared to the original game.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
A good chunk of the negative reviews are about OS compatibility stuff. I looked back at their store page with archive, it did used to just say "A 64 bit operating system".

They probably should have clarified that a bit sooner.

Why am I not surprised there. CA always misleads their customers. This time though at least people can refund.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just hope this sells well enough for them to give windows a proper 64 bit port of Medieval 2.

I don't really care about any of the other changes they make, I just want to be able to play Third Age Total War and Stainless Steel with 100% stability.
I just want to play M2 on my phone.
well, CA did release a mobile port of Rome 1, so I guess it's possible?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Frankly why would you want to use huge unit sizes? In these old games, rising unit sizes should rise upkeep. Otherwise it's only cosmetic candy. IIRC game is balanced to medium unit sizes anyway.

Because if you know the size of Roman military groupings the medium units feel underwhelming.

post screenshots guys.

o7 will do, starting a brutii (junii???) campaign

Shrimp

Arbiter
I've had some time to try out the remaster and I've managed to finish a (short) campaign as the Scipii. My immediate thoughts and first impressions about the remaster are
  • A lot of the UI and various features are hidden behind an unnecessary amount of additional clicks. For instance in original RTW if you clicked on a settlement you'd be presented with the settlement details window which also contained the building construction and unit recruitment tabs. In the remaster all of those things are separate windows that you have to open. This means that if I want to construct a building in a city I have to click the city and then click the building window. The worst cases that I encountered were when I wanted to use agents like spies. In the original RTW if you wanted to use a spy to investigate a settlement or a character it'd display the chance of success and that was that. In the remaster this success rate is no longer simply presented to you when you hover your cursor over the targets. Instead the success rates of ALL POTENTIAL ACTIONS THAT YOU CAN PERFORM IN THE ENTIRE AREA are listed under agent options in a tiny box in the corner of the screen. Why they thought this was a good idea is beyond me.
  • Performance seems very good; I've had stable 60 FPS in all of the battles so far including city battles. With that being said the biggest city battles I've had were in minor cities with only one army on each side, so I guess you could push it further if you want to. So far I haven't experienced any crashes or miscellaneous tech issues at all though, so that's a good sign
  • In the original RTW you could right click on a tile of land to see which area and faction it belonged to. It was very useful to determine which region you were in and how far the borders went if you weren't within range to see the coloured lines. This feature appears to have been removed(?) - It's an incredibly minor issue but it's a source of annoyance for me since I had a habit of using it to find the very edges of my areas so that I could construct watchtowers.
  • Actually having modern camera controls and group movement in battle is a godsend
  • Battle map feels smaller. I very clearly remember it always being a square, but most of the time it appears to be more of a rectangle now. It also means you have less manoeuvrability. Not sure how it's going to affect large scale 40v40 reinforcement battles just yet.
  • Speaking of 40v40s it's a bit of a shame they didn't include the option to control more than 20 units at a time.
  • Battle AI feels the exact same. Not too sure about the campaign AI just yet. I don't recall running into broken armies with tattered units so I think the AI does make use of the fact that it now 'knows' how to merge units, however I still see it doing questionable things like trying to besiege rebel settlements with very small armies. In my playthrough my Brutii allies ended up wasting 5+ turns trying to take a single settlement with just a small army of 2 or 3 units. Every time they were beaten they'd just send the same army back until it eventually dissipated and they sent in a proper army with a general instead.
  • I remember reading something about the Remastered version tweaking chariots a little bit so they aren't as strong in auto resolves. I'm not too sure if this has had any major effect though; Brittania and Egypt still appeared to dominate their respective areas of the map.
  • Enslaving settlements distributes population among all settlements rather than only the ones governed by generals/governors so you can't cheese the Marian reforms right away by only having one governed city and enslaving everything you come across.
  • I haven't tried fiddling with the message filters just yet, but I wish there was a way for important messages to actually pop up like they did in the original RTW. I missed a handful of Man of the Hour events because the message prompt just appears among all the other unread useless messages like faction relation updates. By the time I noticed I had the opportunity to adopt one of the captains I had used I had already merged the army with a city's garrison or a general's unit which nulls the adoption event.
  • Merchants are, surprisingly, more than just merchants ported straight from Medieval 2. They seem to have a couple of extra features that I will have to experiment a bit with since I'm still not sure if I fully understand them.
    1. It seems that unlike their M2 counterparts which only generated money if they were positioned on top of a resource, the RTW:R merchants generate money based on all of the trade resources located in a region. This means multiple factions can have merchants in one region all trading the same resources, but if you place your merchant on top of one of the resources it monopolises the resource which means the other merchants in the region no longer will be able to trade it.
    2. Most of the merchants I recruited or saw seemed to have a trait that gave them modifiers for trading certain resources. For example the merchant in this picture
      KnLJm4f.jpg
      had a trait that made him generate more money from trading metals, but if he were to trade wood he'd generate less money than a merchant without the trait. The trait can't be seen in the picture, but it does say he's generating 700+ denarii per turn from trading a wide array of metals present in the region.
    • I'm still not entirely sure about how this one works, but it seems like merchants are tied to whichever settlement they were recruited in. Occasionally when I conquered a new region I would receive the merchant associated with that settlement. Example:
      ffeeT6j.jpg
As for how my campaign went by the time I finished the short one:
  • Seleucids were wiped out very early - as is tradition :roll:
  • Thrace and Greek cities ganged up on Macedon and took them out. Then Thrace and Germania proceeded to eliminate Dacia. Now the Greek Cities are too strong for the Brutii AI to get a solid hold on Greece. Some times they bounce a settlement back and forth, but it doesn't seem like Brutii is able to hold onto anything for long.
  • Britannia is tearing through Gaul which is down to one settlement. I think Spain's next on the chopping block as well
  • Egypt was dominating the eastern part of the map early but seems to be losing ground. I'm going to invade their lands the next time I start playing the campaign so I suspect Pontus will end up being the biggest non-player millitary might in the eastern half of the map.

N8Unc9Q.jpg

tl;dr
It's definitely RTW but with some questionable UI changes and (fortunately) without the technical issues
the original had on modern systems

A horse of course

It does mostly seem quite tame. The only thing I've found jarring so far is my Scipii starting army on Sicily had a few very dark blacks in.

I mean in most games it's "quite tame", but I find it particularly egregious to accuse CA of something they've never done.

Don't understand the appeal of scaremongering game after game. Is it to justify piracy? Someone else suggested to me that it might be an excuse for not checking out anything released after 2004, while protecting some farcical "hardcore gamer" identity. I don't think anyone else (sane) cares what others play or pirate, but I'm coming up blank for any more meaningful reasons for this charade every time. Like ..."we get it, you hate everything"?

Why are you still on this when you got BTFO over it earlier in the thread?

Shrimp was this you?
X7Twsu9.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The first fucking manual battle I fight and one of my units reinforcing me gets stuck outside the battlefield.

Bravo.

From my first dozen or so turns as Greece on H/H all I can say is... AI is still dumb, both on the battle as well as the campaign map. Easily juked. Game and UI still feels clunky. Zoomie zoomers probably won't like this at all.

e: Now the game started crashing every few minutes.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard02.jpg

Good to see that CA still can't do female models.

Clipboard04.jpg

Couldn't fix the weapon holding animation, huh? Come the fuck on.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'm perplexed about the Rome Remastered Installation - When I installed it it gave me three things to install - Rome Total War, Alexander and Rome Remastered.
Now the Rome Total war option isn't really a mystery, but is the Alexander expansion remastered or is it the original?
Also, Rome Remastered only consumes 25gb, which is acceptable.

exe

Augur
Man, those screens with the new UI look hideous, looks like their current games UI aka cancer. Why can't they just use the old one?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, those screens with the new UI look hideous, looks like their current games UI aka cancer. Why can't they just use the old one?

The biggest issue I find with the new UI is how difficult it is to see events. I keep missing out on man of the hour and adoption prompts because they no longer pop up front and centre after a battle, they instead go into the huge list of events that you have to sift through.

Subreddit is claiming that Feral has heard the complaints and will "fix" the issues, I wish they'd just give us a classic UI toggle. I never had any issues with the old UI.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Tried the game and while i don't really like the UI changes its not a deal breaker for me. The better performance of the game is huge but i seem to have some other graphical issues with everythings being a blurry mess and textures bleeding into each other, so i refunded the game. Too bad, kind of wanted to play a couple of campaigns but this level of quality reduction is unacceptable to me.

A horse of course

Tried the game and while i don't really like the UI changes its not a deal breaker for me. The better performance of the game is huge but i seem to have some other graphical issues with everythings being a blurry mess and textures bleeding into each other, so i refunded the game. Too bad, kind of wanted to play a couple of campaigns but this level of quality reduction is unacceptable to me.

Probably early driver issues that will hopefully be fixed, but honestly my only interest in this is the modding potential. Might as well wait a few months to see what develops.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom