Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rome: Total War Remastered

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Ed123, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    ^ Top  
  2. Üstad Learned

Üstad
    Well if only they could make everything including AI enitrely moddable, so that AI could actually manages economy without retarded cheating. Just imagine in higher difficulties AI actually uses its brain, but then CA wouldnt be able to sell their shitty reskinned games as even zoomers wouldnt buy it.

The only reason why MTW2 and RTW standed out despite their age is the mods, devs can suck my sweaty balls they only brought misery to total war series.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    It came, we saw it, we forgot it exists.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    The American obsession with mass market appeal is indeed cancer.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    This game just died.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    How come? What changed?

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't think anything specific has changed, it's just the general lack of updates or communication makes this seem pretty dead.

Feral overpromised and underdelivered. They took a whole month to patch a lot of the more serious issues people were having.

The modding changes they promised should have been ready day 1.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • sad sad x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    I wouldn't doubt that they're struggling to keep up with things, but anyone that played their original Android/iOS port has less cause to be so sceptical and negative imo.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    How so? I imagine most people (including myself) aren't familiar with the mobile ports, so I don't really know what's supposed to be remarkable about those.

^ Top  
  10. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Feral may be brilliant at porting things, but they really don't seem to be very good at post release support.

It took weeks of pestering on the discord to get them to admit they were actually working on a patch. They've also been extremely vague about their plans with the modding limits.

I'm guessing most of their work is fire and forget and they aren't used to significant post release support.

^ Top  
  11. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    Simply put, they did a great job of them. They run well, and they added little bits of polish that would mean, assuming touch controls could be as good as a mouse and kb (and tbh they're really not bad at all on a tablet/ipad), it would be a superior version of the game when compared with the original PC release.

I guess that experience and them going above and beyond / and also having very personal engagement when it comes to customers, well... it's a far cry better than what you get from most game studios?

I dunno, different companies have different standards of openness when it comes to their internal processes. There's a real problem in games where once you announce something people quickly get impatient / have little appreciation of the amount of work required to pull off popular demands. I'm far from competent with game engines or anything, but I'm aware enough to know that people complain about things with very little notion of what's actually required behind the scenes. There's a common misconception among a certain segment of gamers that if something is a small change in-game, then it must also require only a small amount of work to bring about. And it just isn't like that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    There is no excuse for poor communication. It doesn't matter if a patch is going to take a while to make, you should communicate that it's being worked on asap.

Half the community immediately assumed the game was abandoned because of the lack of comms.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    How can you "immediately" assume something is abandoned because of lack of communication. That takes time to even be a thing in the first place.

I get why you want it, it's just a request that isn't necessarily always practical or helpful. Likely as not the main reason for their quiet and the lack of progress is their staff time off for summer. A lot of companies in the UK / Northern Europe take time off around this time of year.

(The problem with making announcements when people are off is that it increases expectations of results regardless of there being no one there to deliver them.)

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    All they needed to say is "We're working on a patch". Instead it took near three weeks to get a vague hint from a CA employee that Feral were working on something.

I don't care if Feral are the best devs on the planet, poor communication kills. It's something I hammer into my own devs at work on a regular basis.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    Seemed worth highlighting:

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    /ourESLsperg/ breaks it down

^ Top  
  18. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Better late than never I suppose. Hopefully there are some modders still around at this point.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    RPG Wokedex
    Oh, don't be melodramatic. :P There's still modders around for the original game, they're not going anywhere.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

^ Top  
  21. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    One of the big problems with mods like EB was that the AI could never destroy government/religious/cultural buildings in conquered territories. Hopefully this can take care of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I didn't know this game had a future to talk about.

^ Top  
  24. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    Pity they didn't collaborate more with the modders when the scene was hot.

"In-house" modders are never going to be quite as passionate or talented.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So, I'm itching to try a historical and actually great TW game. Has this been fixed/become playable and/or better? Are they planning to support it more? I'm going to wait for a hefty discount, obviously, but I'm making an overview of my options.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.