Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ross's Game Dungeon (from Freeman's Mind guy)

Baron Dupek

Arcane

16:19 Jaesun and his Roland examples are mentions

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

This and the stock market thing where his worst reviews yet. I can barely finish this one. You can tell he isn't enjoying the game, and it's frustrating to watch him play horribly.

Halloween reviews were some of his best stuff, though. I wish he'd review Harvester and Dark Seed: 2.

Puukko

Arcane
I get that reviewing weird obscure shit 95% of his viewers will never play is kind of his thing but I do wish he'd take a break from that once in a while.

I think his Black Mirror review may have been my favorite.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I get that reviewing weird obscure shit 95% of his viewers will never play is kind of his thing but I do wish he'd take a break from that once in a while.
Yeah, he needs to visit some forgotten classic or a newer game once in a while. Maybe review Operation Flashpoint, there's a ton to talk about with that game and I think he'd love it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Messiah was essentially a stealth/puzzle game which he says he sucks at, so there ya go. If I remember right the second half of Messiah is almost all action, though, and kinda loses its charm by that point.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I remember Messiah getting a fair amount of exposure around the time of its release, as Shiny had already got a couple of successful games under their belts. It's not some madman's hellish fever dream come to life like many of the other games that Ross plays, but an actual game with a decent budget, made by actual developers. Of course Messiah flopped horribly, and after Sacrifice (which was well-received if somewhat underrated and came out the same year) the studio was sold off to Infogrames and didn't make anything of value again. Still, Messiah was one of those unique games that was maybe too weird to become a commercial success, and even though I'm not a fan of it, I like it when someone digs those games up again and gives them a bit of screentime. There are too many games from around 2000 that had tons of creativity and talent poured into them but flopped because people rather put their money into some safe and familiar WW2 shooter, and you don't really see anything like that made with an AA budget anymore.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Technically Black Mirror also falls under that category. I think you just mean you'd like to see more games he enjoys?

Puukko

Arcane

Technically Black Mirror also falls under that category. I think you just mean you'd like to see more games he enjoys?
Black Mirror was at least a moderately well known point and click adventure with enough polish and production values to call it a proper game, as opposed to some of the near-shovelware he reviews.

HansDampf

Arcane
His best videos are those where he presents obscure games that make you go
wtfamireading.png
and are somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes long. Messiah and lots of other more recent GDs are just edited Let's Plays.

RickOmbo

Learned
Seems like Ross can't tell if a game is right for the show just by looking at some gameplay. Apocalyptica, The Cave World Saga, and Messiah were his worst reviews, the games are shallow at best. Reviewing Harry Buster was downright stupid.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Ross is at his best and most amusing when he imputes improbable agency and personality to in-game events and settings, such as when he starts to theorize about characters' motivations and thoughts in an adventure game or suggests that Trackmania takes place in a robotic post-apocalypse. This is in effect an extension of what he already does with Freeman's Mind. I didn't think the Messiah video was that bad, but the Harry Buster video was the worst, as he failed to situate it in the context of the general Moorhuhn series, and if you don't do that there's no point to actually covering a game like that, with no creative spark underlying it to speak of.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2 of my favorites are the Rama one, since I love the book and well, just the stuff surrounding the game. 90s FMV, and then he managed to get the fantastic OST in high quality for us as a free download. And the more recent one about the racing car game with the automatic cars, and the implications of it, the world the devs created, knowingly or unknowingly. Humankind had far long gone died off and the only thing that remains is this super high tech entertainment piece. It was great.

Edit:

See that Alpan already mentioned the racing game :salute:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
His Rama review was really fucking good. One of my all time favorites of his. Other than that, my other favorites were: Deus Ex, Realms of the Haunting, Life is Strange Demo, Dungeon Siege, Uncanny Valley, and Still Life. It was quite refreshing to see him roast a game like his Life is Strange review. Man, he should really do more of that. He did a great job.

I was disappointed in his Phantasmagoria 2 review. He said it's one of his all time favorites, and it was a letdown. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it all that much, though. Veil of Darkness was a much better review when those two dropped.

Still, I'd love to see him review Harvester. One of those perfect games for him to review on Halloween.

I forgot that the Cave World Saga was easily one of the, if not the, worst review I've seen of his. Was really stupid for him to review a game that you could tell he was having trouble getting to work right on top of it being a boring ass game with a terrible story. It was seriously torture watching it because it was so long too. I also feel like he'd do a great job at a Stalker series review like he did with Deus Ex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom