Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ross's Game Dungeon (from Freeman's Mind guy)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
As I recall, he's been meaning to do something like that for months now.

deama

Prophet
As I recall, he's been meaning to do something like that for months now.
He decided to do it now specifically because apparently he received more profit from youtube recently, so he's pulling the trigger on it.
The editing position will also be paid, donno how much.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hopefully quality won't go down too badly, he did something similar with legends of kirandia and I didn't like that episode as much, but it wasn't bad, still an enjoyable watch.

I remember that one barely. Personally I wasn't fond of his episode to Hellgate: London. It was just filled with bile and anger. Ross is at his best when he really likes a game (like Black Mirror) or is at least fascinated by it (like Demonica).

My biggest question though is: will he ever review a game with an ending he likes? I'm waiting for that since his review of Deus Ex 1 (and I liked those endings ...) :D.

deama

Prophet
Hopefully quality won't go down too badly, he did something similar with legends of kirandia and I didn't like that episode as much, but it wasn't bad, still an enjoyable watch.

I remember that one barely. Personally I wasn't fond of his episode to Hellgate: London. It was just filled with bile and anger. Ross is at his best when he really likes a game (like Black Mirror) or is at least fascinated by it (like Demonica).

My biggest question though is: will he ever review a game with an ending he likes? I'm waiting for that since his review of Deus Ex 1 (and I liked those endings ...) :D.
Favourite ones of mine were deus ex series, black mirror, baldies, sonic heroes, the crew, life is strange demo, realms of the haunting, puzzle agent, still life, uncanny valley, secret world, dungeon siege, battleforge, strife, nyet 3, and tyrian.

I actually kinda liked hellgate london, I wish he managed to have found working cheats towards the end for it cause for some reason he didn't? Could have easily used basic cheat engine on it I bet.
I also feel a bit angry at him for not using speedhacking, it's a very valuable "tool" imo and I wish he would explore more with it, and I get especially frustrated when he complains the game is too slow like how he did with hellgate london. He also talks about not liking TB games cause their too slow, but when I asked him why he doesn't just use a speedhack he gave a pretty shitty answer; which is weird for him because he's the type of guy that seems to like to "fix" or "mold" games if they don't work for him, e.g. his constant problem with games not supporting anti-alising so he spends quite a lot of time trying to get it to work, or using cheats, etc...

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Life is strange I still have to look into, but Veil of Darkness, Black Mirror, The Caveworld, Revenant, Clans and Demonica are my personal favorites. Perfect before going to bed^^.

And yeah, I remember Hellgate London being okay too. Like I said, it's no fun when he's angry, he's no fun. It's just screaming. And I think he just was to bored to look for cheats and after Revenant he just ends it, so he doeasn't age ten years again. As for tb: well, he seems to have his interests and if it doesn't interest him, he shrugs and goes on. Well, still better than viewing reviews of games he already hates before even starting them. But he could tweak them, yes.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Too bad Ross didn't seem to like it, i personally found it brilliant with the main issue i had with it being that it felt "stretched": pretty much everything, from the intro to the length of the levels, etc is around ~1.25x it should have been.

I think he missed some aspects of the game though, the clones are repeating every action you do (yes, as he mentioned it is not down to the detail of not jogging, but still the overall actions) so if you just dick around with stuff they'll do too during the next cycle so you can take advantage of that (and you know what actions the clones saw you doing from a "ghost" version of you that appears when you do - this actually happens a couple of times in the video). IIRC the game has a few objects in the world that serve that purpose alone.

The blackouts (which are telegraphed by the sound) and cycles are instrumental to this (and the game would be much more bland, not to mention it'd lose a ton of its atmosphere, if they were removed like Ross suggested) as you can plan ahead a couple of cycles: dick around one cycle to make the level safer to explore so you can find a safe spot (there are several) or important element (e.g. elevator) during the next cycle and after that you can gun down the clones to pass through areas that weren't previously accessible. This is especially useful in the levels where you can move between "floors" using elevators.

I am not much of a stealth game fan but i found ECHO a very enjoyable game (aside from the stretched length). It isn't just a matter of trying to find your way behind enemies and take them down or distract them with gadgets or whatever we've seen 23894923 games already do before, you have to plan ahead with the cycles in mind (and deal with failing to do that, e.g. reflex shooting a clone only to realize you just made the next cycle a nightmare :-P). I outright disagree with Ross that removing the blackouts/cycles would improve the game (he didn't dislike just the visual effect but also the respawning) since that'd make the game just a budget version of every other stealth game out there with a few -literally- shiny levels. Having to deal with your actions (and failures) of the previous cycle and work with them for the next cycle is what makes this game unique.

deama

Prophet
I am not much of a stealth game fan but i found ECHO a very enjoyable game (aside from the stretched length). It isn't just a matter of trying to find your way behind enemies and take them down or distract them with gadgets or whatever we've seen 23894923 games already do before, you have to plan ahead with the cycles in mind (and deal with failing to do that, e.g. reflex shooting a clone only to realize you just made the next cycle a nightmare :-P). I outright disagree with Ross that removing the blackouts/cycles would improve the game (he didn't dislike just the visual effect but also the respawning) since that'd make the game just a budget version of every other stealth game out there with a few -literally- shiny levels. Having to deal with your actions (and failures) of the previous cycle and work with them for the next cycle is what makes this game unique.
He didn't say to remove them directly, only that the flickering aspect of them was annoying, so if they removed the blackening and replaced it with something brighter I guess? Maybe like a teal version or whatever, he'd be fine with that.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He didn't say to remove them directly, only that the flickering aspect of them was annoying, so if they removed the blackening and replaced it with something brighter I guess? Maybe like a teal version or whatever, he'd be fine with that.

He clearly says to remove the resets and acknowledges that'd basically remove the core of the game. He also mentioned at some other point earlier in the video that he disliked the blackouts but that isn't what i referred to (and personally i'd disagree with that too as i think the difference that contrast makes adds a ton to the game's atmosphere).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
There was something so wonderfully '90s about that game. There's a certain optimism in non-violent games from that era we don't get anymore. Especially so in some of the sci-fi.
That said, Ross's playthrough of Turbo mirrors my own and a friend's playthrough of that game. Started off cool, liking the vibe of the game, then we find out we missed a one of the chips earlier in the game. Its such a weird thing, since being told about it you don't necessarily get that when you pick up one particular chip out of the robots head, the game automatically advances. Its just such a bizarre issue to turn into an unwinnable situation.

Cazzeris

Is the Freeman's Mind thing even funny? This guy seems like a simpleton, don't know why his series got popular.

The reviews might be alright, sure

deama

Prophet
Is the Freeman's Mind thing even funny? This guy seems like a simpleton, don't know why his series got popular.

Donno about being funny, but they were entertaining; don't have to be funny to be entertaining.

Caim

Arcane

Donno about being funny, but they were entertaining; don't have to be funny to be entertaining.
It's mostly neurotic man doing angry ranting. Some of it is pretty witty back when I started watching it, not sure how good it held up over the years. The Modern Major-General bit still holds up though:

deama

Prophet

It's mostly neurotic man doing angry ranting. Some of it is pretty witty back when I started watching it, not sure how good it held up over the years. The Modern Major-General bit still holds up though:

I watched most of it a few years ago and I liked it.
I think at one point some russian's took his footage and did their own voiceover spin, and later they tried copyrighting him, that's when he took the big hammer at them.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I tried watching them. Freeman's Mind is really dumb, and I scratch my head as to how that is what made him popular. His game reviews are probably the best thing I've seen since G4/Tech TV stuff with Adam Sessler when I was a kid.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

His Life is Strange Demo review was fucking brilliant, and he absolutely despised that game. Even though he said it is his favorite game ever, I thought his Phantasmagoria 2 review sucked.

deama

Prophet

I tried watching them. Freeman's Mind is really dumb, and I scratch my head as to how that is what made him popular. His game reviews are probably the best thing I've seen since G4/Tech TV stuff with Adam Sessler when I was a kid.
His reviews is definitely where it's at, I was kinda disappointed when he said his fans were pestering him on brining back free man's mind but for half life 2. The series is decent, but I'd rather see him put more time into his game dungeon stuff. But freeman's mind is relatively easy for him to make so gives him some decent income without that much work.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Probably because the idea of doing a let's play in-character was pretty novel at the time and Half-Life had just enough story for it to work. And Freeman's Mind was always the easy series, since it was made because his original machinima series, Civil Protection, took too long to make an episode for.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Probably because the idea of doing a let's play in-character was pretty novel at the time and Half-Life had just enough story for it to work. And Freeman's Mind was always the easy series, since it was made because his original machinima series, Civil Protection, took too long to make an episode for.
Man, I must've missed a lot as a kid, but this sounds logical. I only knew about "Let's Play" after they exploded in popularity. The only thing I remember being super popular when I was in high school was that Red vs. Blue Halo stuff that I hated. Chuck Norris in Oblivion during the late Machinima years after, but I didn't find out about "Let's Play" until like 2015 or so.

Caim

Arcane

Man, I must've missed a lot as a kid, but this sounds logical. I only knew about "Let's Play" after they exploded in popularity. The only thing I remember being super popular when I was in high school was that Red vs. Blue Halo stuff that I hated. Chuck Norris in Oblivion during the late Machinima years after, but I didn't find out about "Let's Play" until like 2015 or so.
Yeah, Freeman's Mind ran from 2007 to 2014, the early days of youtube. And it's the exact kind of thing that was popular back in those early days.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
What i like in Freeman's Mind in Half-Life 2 is how he changes the levels to do things in ways that actually make sense instead of whatever Valve wanted you to do, it kinda shows how arbitrary some of the stuff you do are :-P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom