Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ross's Game Dungeon (from Freeman's Mind guy)

SpellSword

Novice

Finally something that's less obscure and just forgotten due to various issues.
I don't watch Let's Plays (because people doing those don't play in my style) but SGS aka supergreatfriend made decent one.

A little piece of trivia about this game.

As mentioned in the video there are two versions, PC & PS1.

From what I've read they both have pros and cons.

(PC)
. Has complete cutscenes.
. Zombies are 'much' more difficult to shake off. (To the point of being unplayable.)

(PS1)
. Some cutscenes are shortened or removed.
. Zombies can actually be thrown off.
. Allows for more saves then the PC version.
. Lower quality texture images.

Despite the decrease in visuals the best method of playing it would probably be find a PS1 disc and running that, then watching the PC's versions cutscenes if you can find them.

It also appears the game was original designed to be a point and click adventure game but was changed into a survival horror game sometime during development.

Considering the state of some of the game it would have been interesting to see the final result if they'd stuck to their original vision instead of creating a resident evil clone.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It is where he belongs. Natural fit for him, he is good at that. Not fit for critiquing games at all (except storyfag ones).
His field is adventure and storyfag games so makes sense

How so? Even in this video he says that he needs to use guides, etc to get past puzzles.

It might be because of his other series, but i always thought of him more into FPS and other action games.
His best videos are either adventures or storyfag heavy games. Certain actions games require the understanding of game's systems or underlying mechanics; he fails to do that and video turns into a pissed off rageout.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

popamole.png
popamole.png
popamole.png
popamole.png
popamole.png
popamole.png

That fight with flamethrower goon (Cleaner) was painful to watch. All he had to do was to shoot the weakpoint on his back ie. fuel canister.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Tried it out a while back, agree with pretty much everything he said. The game's levels really are graphically impressive and the environmental effects look way better while actually playing.

Also, his interpretation is interesting.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Sorely disappointed the Piggyback Bandit didn't make a reappearance. All of his episodes on contemporary triple-a stuff fit in surprisingly well with the usual lot of obscures he covers. I think because they're 2-5 years removed from being current and are viewed through the kind of lens only Ross would apply to them.

Also Christ, I haven't thought about Baby Cakes in years.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great video by Ross. I like his take on the game, which kinda feels like my own(at least story wise) - "are we the baddies?". I do wish his video was another hour and he actually finished the game. Would love his input on the later faction, from what I remember it's a straight up mercenary group, gunning for money and power in the city. Wonder what he would make of that, maybe cement the fact more that the US gov have completely fallen - which I think is the case in division 2 actually.

Caim

Arcane
Great video by Ross. I like his take on the game, which kinda feels like my own(at least story wise) - "are we the baddies?". I do wish his video was another hour and he actually finished the game. Would love his input on the later faction, from what I remember it's a straight up mercenary group, gunning for money and power in the city. Wonder what he would make of that, maybe cement the fact more that the US gov have completely fallen - which I think is the case in division 2 actually.
According to someone in the comments Division 2 has said later faction devolve into a bunch of warlords trying to build their petty fiefs on the ruins of the United States.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think I liked the Mars Gothic one the most so far, but the adventure(or adventure-style) ones seem to make for better videos.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the only YT vidya guy who doesn't insert his personal politics

Ross has a ton of political comments in his videos, it is just topics that tend to affect everyone, like society collapsing due to overreliance on oil. Also he largely avoids confrontational tone and he doesn't take a position where he claims he knows best. But he does mention politics.

Also he has advice like on how to make a cult or, in this video, to perform a successful bioterrorism attack :-P

lightbane

Arcane
Fun review, it pretty much confirms the Codex's comments about The Division, including the part about former cleaners having become complete psychos who clash with the setting. Reading the wiki's synopsis, the game's plot is not too coherent anyway, and plays itself seriously despite your faction making things worse for everyone for no good reason.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
the only YT vidya guy who doesn't insert his personal politics

Ross has a ton of political comments in his videos, it is just topics that tend to affect everyone, like society collapsing due to overreliance on oil. Also he largely avoids confrontational tone and he doesn't take a position where he claims he knows best. But he does mention politics.

Also he has advice like on how to make a cult or, in this video, to perform a successful bioterrorism attack :-P

There's a difference between remarking on the political situation of game and inserting real life politics. I've never seen Ross ask people to donate to BLM, like Civvie did.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ross looks and sounds like a Codexer.

In one of his livestreams he talked about how much he loved the idea of UBI (universal basic income). Funny guy, but his pinball machine tilts to the left.

Drop him a Vatnik or Commie tag and he's good to go.
Yeah, he's talked a lot about more left-leaning politics in his livestreams. Stuff like being full climate change doomerism and being onboard the COVID train. At least he keeps all his politics in game videos on-topic. I'd say the furthest he ever got there was with the Deus Ex videos where he talked about media consolidation, which isn't directly related to the game, but is close enough that it doesn't really matter.

deama

Prophet
Ross looks and sounds like a Codexer.

In one of his livestreams he talked about how much he loved the idea of UBI (universal basic income). Funny guy, but his pinball machine tilts to the left.

Drop him a Vatnik or Commie tag and he's good to go.
I don't think it was about how much he loves it, he likes the idea, but his main problem with it is how you'd prevent landlords raising the rent, stores raising prices, etc...

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's a difference between remarking on the political situation of game and inserting real life politics. I've never seen Ross ask people to donate to BLM, like Civvie did.

BLM isn't the only "real life" political topic and Ross has talked about real life politics related to game as springboard. As mentioned previously, his Deus Ex videos are an example of this.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing about Ross is, he never inserts politics that are extraneous to the game. He only comments on them when they are part of the game, and in a way that fits the game's themes.

Caim

Arcane
Only times Ross goes political is about preservation and ownership of digital media, but that's it.

lightbane

Arcane
Thinking about it, while talking about The Division Ross should have mentioned the Black Looters Murderers as a RL example of The Purge, but if he did I didn't notice. It doesn't help that doing so would have resulted in him instantly being cancelled by the mainstream media forever and ever.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I like his more contemporary game videos than the old-school ones. I haven't finished it, but the Division is looking like it might be his best in months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom