Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ross's Game Dungeon (from Freeman's Mind guy)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I remember seeing this game back in the day and thinking it looked pretty cool, but never got around to buying it. Glad I never did, because that looks like crap.
That said, a hour and a half? Thought Ross was trying to scale these back. That's a feature length presentation for a game that doesn't really deserve it. Should have been another half-hour long one.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
His Division video was better.
Complaining about bikini armor is such a low-hanging fruit at this point i can't comprehend how can anyone feel smart for pointing out it's ridiculousness. A question of how you can justify all women wearing it in a fantasy world would make for a more monocled discussion.

Codex Year of the Donut
. A question of how you can justify all women wearing it in a fantasy world would make for a more monocled discussion.
The answer is easy: It's fantasy.
image.png

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Usually the complaint isn't about historical accuracy but about practicality (i haven't watched that video to see if that is what Ross mentions though).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Usually the complaint isn't about historical accuracy but about practicality (i haven't watched that video to see if that is what Ross mentions though).

He goes autistic about how he wouldn't have a problem with her wearing that outfit in contexts other than melee combat, it's only melee combat where it makes no sense. The also skimpily dressed barbarian chick he has no problem with, because her outfit is more of a tribal thing than a BDSM-looking thing.

So yeah, just the kind of worldbuilding autism we know and love from Ross.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He goes autistic about how he wouldn't have a problem with her wearing that outfit in contexts other than melee combat, it's only melee combat where it makes no sense. The also skimpily dressed barbarian chick he has no problem with, because her outfit is more of a tribal thing than a BDSM-looking thing.

I'll watch the video at some point later but based on this description i'd agree with him - melee combat with bikini outfit doesn't make sense indeed *unless* that is part of the worldbuilding itself (e.g. the woman is part of a tribe/clan/race/whatever where women do dress like that).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Watched the entire video, it's got your typical Ross style worldbuilding autism where he scrutinizes every detail of the story and art design on how much sense it makes in-setting. Also lots of complaining about the game being tedious and frustrating... I mean, it's a Diablo clone made by an (IIRC) Eastern European dev so of course it's frustrating and tedious. They all are.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I found his reviews are best when he is clearly enjoying the game(even if it's very flawed) as an opposite to when he is clearly not.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

So yeah, just the kind of worldbuilding autism we know and love from Ross.
Its a hot vampire chick, its clearly going for that kind of over the top fantasy visuals, its a hot vampire chick. I don't get giving the amazon a pass when vampires have just as much "justification". It is clearly whining for the sake of whining.
Watched the entire video, it's got your typical Ross style worldbuilding autism where he scrutinizes every detail of the story and art design on how much sense it makes in-setting. Also lots of complaining about the game being tedious and frustrating... I mean, it's a Diablo clone made by an (IIRC) Eastern European dev so of course it's frustrating and tedious. They all are.
At this point I just assume any time the game is a ARPG its going to be some mind-numbing tedium. Ross has the absolute worse luck when it comes to the genre, and its clearly not a lack of skill.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I also got the impression that the armor she had on wasn't really for tanking like any other armor. Avoidance is her defense.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
At this point I just assume any time the game is a ARPG its going to be some mind-numbing tedium. Ross has the absolute worse luck when it comes to the genre, and its clearly not a lack of skill.
It's because the genre is filled with utter trash. Most Diablo clones of the 00s were just cheap cash-cows to jump on the bandwagon of Diablo's success. Only a few (Sacred, Titan Quest) were actually good. Most are total crap.

I still liked the genre in my teenage years, and I played a lot of these Eurojank Diablo clones. Not one of them was good. Not one.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
The reverse x-com alternative campaign in which you must plan an earth invasion as an aliens sounds like a cool idea. Unfortunately it was made by a guys who thought that constantly fighting the fog of war is a good idea for a strategy game.
I recall the first War Wind also had this problem with your troops being too passive.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Having an overarching campaign where resources and research carries over is pretty underutilized in RTS games, but its a shame that it was used in what could quite possibly be the worst RTS game ever made.

deama

Prophet
I really would like to see a game dungeon with armies of exigo.
I thought the game was solid, but I could never play it for more than a few hours, I wonder if Ross could figure out why.

Strig

Learned
Good to know someone else remembers this absolute trainwreck. I still have my big box copy tucked somewhere in the shadowy depths of my flat, it didn't see much action as the game is basically unplayable. I always considered it a malformed stillborn sibling of Dark Colony. They both came out the same year and have similar premise — one is a wildly entertaining if bare bones RTS and the other is... well... Conquest Earth.

The OST had its moments, though. Check out "Implants", it's definitely the best track out of the three provided.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That video just made me miserable. It looked like pure suffering, from the visuals, to the gameplay. Zero redeeming qualities.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Zero redeeming qualities.
Come now. Despite lacking some basic functions like the mini-map and the ability to produce units without causing yourself bodily harm, interface for both factions looks pretty cool visually.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Zero redeeming qualities.
Come now. Despite lacking some basic functions like the mini-map and the ability to produce units without causing yourself bodily harm, interface for both factions looks pretty cool visually.

Well, the small per-rendered videos were pretty cool. Like the stealth alien that turned into a ship.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
This looks like the programmers spent 90% of their time making a cool and fast graphics engine and left the rest of the game as an afterthought. From a quick look in Mobygames it looks like this was the first project for the programming team (at least those Mobygames lists).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom