Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Bullshit that's an instant refund/uninstall

Terra

Cipher
Power of friendship - mostly a jrpg exclusive, there's a tiny subset of games that can just about get away with it, but for the most part I'm rolling my eyes when the motley crew of teens explains to the fuck off uber big bad how their friendship is going to stop the cataclysm heading towards their face. Yeah...

Reams of exposition - jesus christ, Torment Numer-something is in its own class here. I've still yet to make it out of the opening act or town because getting through the mountains of text is like scaling a mountain. A "gameplay" session constitutes me firing up the game, speaking to some random, inconsequential NPC and ever time without fail, they're some obnoxious chatterbox, yammering on about things that have absolutely no bearing on my quest. Pillars 1 also did this to a lesser extent with gold NPC backers and Kingdoms of Amalur also gets a shoutout for populating its Fae towns with 10 NPCs that all tell the same story in 10 very slightly different ways, but with each being a fully voice acted ramble for several minutes, covering things you already know. Devs of days gone by definitely had a better handle on brevity, I think back to classic WRPG+JRPGs of old, and towns were a pleasure to explore, inconsequence NPC dialogues were short & snappy, with larger exchanges being saved for actual important NPCs. If its a companion character, by all means, give me more (although keep brevity in mind, don't fall into the Shadowrun: HK overindulgence trap either), but "X thousand words lovingly distributed to irrelevant roadside NPCs across the game" is not a selling point.

Lack of music - For me, Suikoden 2 is a standout here, don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I'll be travelling to Gregminster through the forest and suddenly the music is just replaced with ambience, birds tweeting. Just... why? I can't explain why, but the lack of consistency just really makes ambient-only areas boring to me when the rest of the game always has music playing.

Happy/Sleepy village openings - Already mentioned, but nothing screams generic starting RPG area + quests than this. Complete pacing and interest killer, right off the bat.

Consolization / UI consolisation - We've all seen this; take a previously PC-focused series and suddenly there's a radial wheel interface across your new simultaneous multiplatform release that has in no way compromised the experience for the original fans.

Dialogue wheels, aka Wheel'o'Hints - just fuck off with this shit. Oh hey, let's have a "role playing game" where you spend the whole game guessing what "your" (hah!) character is going to say and being surprised at the result. Great stuff.

downwardspiral

Learned
It depends if I judge it as anime relate RPGs or not

Non-anime RPGs
1 Skill tree system that is there to limit my character building freedom and promote min-max gameplay

2 damange from Guns or crossbow that scale with character strength or dex attribute

3 Guns and melee weapon that aren't lethal enough and creating a bullet sponge style combat

4 high magic or too much magic focus

5 Over 75% of hair/facial style still is punk related

6 Higher level character can have much higher HP than low level character of same race

7 Bad amour penetration calculation for guns or melee

8 Instant healing system, people get back to battle quickly when they take an arrow into the face

9 Too much empowerment and heroism in story, quest and combat system.

10 Medieval tech level but no spear or polearm as weapon or the game try to make polearm weaker than sword

11 shield is weak or the game try to make dual wielding balance and viable to build that use shield

12 shoulder armour and pad that is bigger than character's head

13 long sword that is too long

14 love story

15 Any kind level and item scaling, preferably the game should have remove the concept of level itself

16 Too much action game elements

Anime RPGs
Most of above is okay except punk hair style.

Darkzone

Arcane
SJW/Political/LBGT shit.
Strong wombyn character carrying massive swords
general degenerate setting where sodomy is treated as normal
This are the general and obvious signs of inverted moral values where the vice is a virtue and the traditional cardinal virtues are vices and also a disregard to real physics. I cannot play anymore such things, because i understand where this comes from and where it leads to.

Strong wombyn character carrying massive swords

646634-final-fantasy-vii-remake-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Yeah, there is something wrong with it.
Hm a jenova genetic strength enhanced soldier could technically use it, but if a normal human male does it it looks rather like this:
or this
Overall this size and weight for a sword is pure nonsense, because you need the ability to accelerate a sword very fast to attack or parry and this requires certain strength, bodyweight and a sword that has a good center of mass point (slightly above the guard). FFVII was a good story driven linear corridor game, with a strong antagonist. But not a good cRPG.

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Paragraphs upon paragraphs of pretentious lore about imaginary, bullshit races, bullshit places, bullshit characters. I stop playing immediately when I notice this. Like Original Sin in the first town. They ruined Divine Divinity 1 and 2, from an unpretentious game to vomiting unfunny and boring lore bile constantly.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
  • Non-stop and extremely tedious combat/grinding.
  • Inability to use keyboard for movement. (except in more "tactical" games)
  • Tedious dialog. (not letting me skip some boring NPC bullshit so I can get his bear pelts for him or whatever)
  • Constantly respawning enemies.

Stuff I can recall where I fell off the bandwagon real quick:
- Witcher 3 combat
- Oblivion scaling and dungeons
- Wiki style NPCs in Bethesda games

Skdursh

Savant
Filters on the words you are allowed to use to name your characters in a single player game. I don't even want to name my character a "bad word" but having someone else tell me that I'm not allowed to boils up within me a giant barrel of go-fuck-yourself-and-your-shitty-game.

rado907

Savant
I hate it when I need to metagame to progress/win. ADOM & Darkest Dungeon are egregious offenders in this regard in my book.

Scaling is annoying but not a deal breaker. But yeah, it's annoying in Oblivion and Witcher III when you max out and reach demigod level and for some reason the hapless roadside thugs scale with you and wear armor more expensive than most villages.

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh yeah, that too. I remember guards in a prisoner camp in Tyrany talking about how they'll like to be sucked by some old dude prisonner because he has "nice white teath". In what universe does this happen? You have female prisonners, you faggots! It was so unearthly that it kicked me out of the game instantly. I think it could be done right though, like in that anime where children are incouraged by the cult to have any sort of intercourse between them to lower their agressivity levels and get a better control over them and their powers (I don't remember the name of the anime. I just remember I though it was nighmarish Brave New Worldesque level of creepy while the internet was happy to see "LGBT representation done right"... :lol:).
iirc there's some scarlet chorus guy that gets raped so hard his sphincter stops working and he keeps shitting himself
Rean
https://tyranny.gamepedia.com/Mattias
His name gets changed to Mattias Brown-Bottom afterwards.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The only thing that has made me actually ragequit a game and not come back to it is Numenera's main plot, near the end. Specifically this point where the main antagonist shows up very abruptly
- so abruptly that it was obvious, just from that alone, that the final act had been butchered by cuts.
1.2 million words and they didn't even flesh out the main questline properly :argh:

Johnny Johnny

Novice
Boring tutorials, especially when you can't advance without mastering a game mechanic and the instructions are rubbish.
Overly long cutscenes, especially at the beginning of the game.
Puzzles, especially anything with levers, glowing lights and a portal that won't open.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
- Grind and HP bloat make me quit instantly,
- Randomized loots is a very, very strong turn-off (especially swords-in-rats)

Other items that irritate me :

- MMORPG scaling of stats and/or 1% itemization - if I am doing 11 736 damage by attack but the enemy has 11 000 000, the game is not for me. Often related to grinding,
- Level-scaling, except minor and justified (eg "blighted monsters" in Morrowind)
- Any mention of a prophecy is going to make me cranky.
- Early game boss that is much weaker than mid-level or high-level grunt (eg : dragon early game, turns out to have been weaker than the cook-assistant in the army of Evil grunt when they show up - often related HP bloat)
- "Evil characters" that are evil for the LOL. The best characters are evil by interest or due to perpendicular morality,
- On the other hand, Flamboyant Elf NPC, super wise elf NPC, or similar terribly written "fantasy racial minority" character,
- Poor timing of secondary quests : "Ah you are here, hero ! The Army of Evil is besieging us. Can you collect the empty glasses of beers for me around in the village, I am totally out at the moment."
- "You have the weapon crates. Are you going to give them to the elves & dwarves" (OH NO ! THEY ARE USING IT TO KILL HUMANS ! YOU MONSTER) or are you going to give them to the humans (OH NO ! THEY ARE USING IT TO KILL ELVES & DWARVES ! YOU MONSTER) and BS choices where you should be able to walk out of. Looking at you indeed, W1,
- Being a do-gooder better rewarded than only looking for his interest. The game should be easier when looking for your interest, or at least NOT harder. The Gothic/Elex games do that pretty well.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can adapt to anything. Mostly because I am interested in the artistic vision, gameplay mapping and everything in-between from every single angle. I love to analyze why an RPG is good, why it's bad, and so...

1. extremely long saving/load times.
Not too much to ask: learn how to code in such a way that you don't choke my machine.

2. don't be mediocre.
Either be bad, or be good. If you aim for safe, if you don't take any chances, and that is apparent over and over, at one point I will take off. One of the reasons, for example, why I will probably never play The Outer Worlds. I'll live with the Isaac Asimov books, tyvm - don't need to clutter my memory with boring junk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom